Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Educate me on adult 3 wheelers

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 11:22 AM
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm looking at getting my 70+ yo parents a pair of adult tricycles and the trouble is I know NOTHING about them. I know Schwinn makes a pricey one ($600 or so) with gears and a Walmart single speed for $200. That is the extent of my knowledge.

The only requirement is they need to have at least 3 speeds.

Is anyone savvy on the subject? Thanks.
Old 12-10-08, 11:31 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Let them pick out their own bikes.
You should offer to pay for them.

Old 12-10-08, 11:35 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I assume that you are looking at trikes that look like large tricycles. These can be found in many of the manufacturing facilities in america as used by the parts chasers.

There are also a series of trikes that look more like recumbents with 3 wheels. This is probably not what you are thinking of for your parents.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 06-01-09 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-10-08, 11:41 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A number of us in or near our 70's ride regular plain two-wheel bikes. Is there some special reason you are thinking of a 3 wheeler?

As regards 3 wheelers, my son with a disability uses a Worksman 3 wheeler, disk brake, 3 speed bike, foot brake, also. It is good for trails, etc.

A 3 wheeler handles markedly different from a 2 wheeler. A warning - these large high trikes can tip over more easily if on a slant or a rock under one wheel.

Worksman has a website, and they also sell at least one model through Wal Mart. They are a well made bike, about $300 - $400 or so.

We have a folding model for easier (not easy, but easier) transport.

Here is a pic of his previous 3 wheeler, which looked like the Worksman

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-10-08 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-10-08, 12:08 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Along with several domestic manufacturers of upright trikes like Worksman, there are also tons of recumbent trikes made. As a rule of thumb, delta trikes have taller seats and are easier to get in and out of. Go here and select 'trike' in the configuration field.

https://www.recumbents.com/home.asp?URL=recumbents.asp

$600 seems very affordable for a trike; "cheap" even. If you feel otherwise, prepare for an education in reality.
Old 12-10-08, 12:28 PM

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mr_Cristopher,
In a nutshell, there are basically 3 types of "adult" tricycles. First, there's the stereotypical little old lady's trike style, which sounds like what you're thinking of. They're usually fairly tall, slow and have minimal gearing (1 or 3 speeds, for the most part). Next, there's the tadpole style, like the one in Maddmaxx's picture. Those are usually very low to the ground, have 20+ gear ranges, are somewhat hard to tip over, they're a lot of fun to ride (I've got a Sun EZ-Tad SX, my wife's got a ICE QNT) and relatively fast (I've managed just shy of 33 mph on the local rail trail on mine). The third version is the delta trike; like the first category, they have two wheels in the back and one in the front, but after that, they're much more similar to the tadpoles - they'll also have lots of gear ranges and they're pretty fast, but they're somewhat more prone to tipping over than the tadpoles. An easy first step would be to try to find a Sun dealer who might have both the delta and tadpole styles in stock; Bike Mart of Richardson lists the Sun Adult Tricycle on their website (https://bikemart.com); City Cyclist LLC in Fort Worth lists both ICE and Sun trikes on their web site (https://www.citycyclisttx.com/page6.html). I'd try calling them to see if they've actually got any of the trikes in stock for you to check out. One thing to note - typically the Sun trikes are a lot heavier than most of the others; my trike weighs almost 50 lbs before addng anything, while my wife's QNT weighs about 35 lbs.
- Bob

P.S. I forgot to mention this originally - my EZ-Tad was $1250, while my wife's QNT plus a few accessories was $4,250 - so BlazingPedals is right, $600 does sound "cheap"!

Last edited by rdmjr; 12-10-08 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added P.S. about pricing
Old 12-10-08, 12:34 PM
getting bent

Bikes: 2008 Rans V3, 1984 Trek 620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is also the Phoenix from Cycle Genius. Higher up for those who may not be able to get into a low-rider tadpole. Not cheap, though.
Old 12-10-08, 01:27 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 1,060 Posts
Trek offers a traditional trike in their Pure line, in regular and deluxe :
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ure/puretrike/

My challenged step-daughter likes her Sun EZ3-SX recumbent. I've found it fun to ride, if a bit ponderous.

And now for something completely different: the Newton C21.
https://www.roman-road.co.uk/trikes/index.htm

HTH,
tcs
Old 12-10-08, 02:55 PM
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, I am now researching several makes, models and prices! Cheers!

Chris
Old 12-10-08, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Sun EZ-3 AX that I'm pretty happy with.

Wheel Base:56" (142cm)
Overall Length:75" (191cm)
Seat Height:19.5" (50cm)
Width:30" (76cm)
X-Seam Range:32-48" (81-122cm)
Gear Inch Value:17.8 to 90.2"
Approx. Wt.:50lbs.
Frame:7005 Tig Welded Aluminum
Fork:High Tensile Steel Blades/Hi-Ten Steel
Handlebar:Aluminum w/2 Bottle Mounting Points
Stem:Aluminum 240mm Quill w/60mm Ahead Stem
Headset:Oversized Semi-Integrated Style
B.B. :Sealed Cartridge
Crank:FSA 335 170x52/42/30
F. Derailleur :Shimano
R. Derailleur :Sram SX5
Shifter:Sram SX5
F. Hub :Aluminum Q/R Disc
R. Hub :Aluminum
F/R Brake: Promax Mechanical Disc
Brake Lever: Promax w/Parking Lock On L-Lever
Freewheel:Sram 11-32 9sp
# 0f Gears:27
Seat:Cool-Back Alloy w/2 Bottle Mounting Points
Rim:Sun SL-1 Single Track Alloy
Spokes:14g. Stainless Steel
Tires F/R :20x1.50 BW Kenda Kwest 100psi.
Colors:Two-Tone Red/Black

The price was about $1400 a couple of years ago...I don't know what it is now.
Old 12-10-08, 10:07 PM
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Check out bentrideronline.com

Originally Posted by Mr_Christopher
Hi, I'm looking at getting my 70+ yo parents a pair of adult tricycles and the trouble is I know NOTHING about them. I know Schwinn makes a pricey one ($600 or so) with gears and a Walmart single speed for $200. That is the extent of my knowledge.

The only requirement is they need to have at least 3 speeds.

Is anyone savvy on the subject? Thanks.
I suggest you look at https://bentrideronline.com/ recumbent forum. Go the message board and pick specialty discussions and you'll find a trike forum where you can ask lots of questions.

Most of the answers you've received here have been right on. But there are other options to consider. For example, the Hase delta trikes can be hooked together to make a tandem which might be ideal for your parents.

Somewhat off topic:

Out of curiosity, I looked at the Newton C21 someone posted a link for. I can't believe it!

Although I can't tell for sure what the steering design is, it looks like both wheels turn together and are like a regular bicycle front wheel with trail. A tadpole trike (two wheels in front) needs special steering considerations. The inside wheel on a turn travels in a smaller radius circle than the back wheel and the outside wheel in a larger radius circle. To steer, the inside wheel must be turned farther than the outside wheel. Special steering linkages are needed to make this happen (see Ackerman compensation). If this isn't done, then the tires will scrub (rub sideways) as they go through a turn.

Another consideration is that the steering axis should intersect the road at the point of contact between the tire and the road (centerpoint steering). If this isn't done, then hitting a bump or braking causes the wheel to rotate (or attempt to rotate) about the steering axis. Effects known as "bump steer" or "brake steer." (This is completely different than what happens with a regular two wheeler, where trail improves stability.)

- Ed
Old 12-11-08, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I've ridden the normal upright adult tricycle. I found it hard to steer, because leaning does not initiate a turn. If you are accustomed to riding a bicycle, the thing will drive you nuts. On the other hand, a non-cyclist might find it natural.

Paul
Old 12-11-08, 08:58 AM
getting bent

Bikes: 2008 Rans V3, 1984 Trek 620

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
I've ridden the normal upright adult tricycle. I found it hard to steer, because leaning does not initiate a turn. If you are accustomed to riding a bicycle, the thing will drive you nuts. On the other hand, a non-cyclist might find it natural.

Paul
I've had the same problem with work trikes at client's plants. Kept trying to lean into turns, which these trikes DON'T like.
Old 12-11-08, 10:16 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
One consideration is that riding a bicycle helps maintain and improve balancing skills, which become much more important as we age.
That's a benefit that you don't get with a trike.
Old 12-11-08, 11:30 AM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
As I said, I have a Sun EZ-3, not a "normal upright" trike...it felt a bit strange (nothing extreme, though) the first few times I rode it, but that feeling quickly went away, and I feel comfortable riding it, now. I can lean my body into turns if necessary, but at ordinary speeds and cornering forces, it's not necessary.
Old 12-11-08, 12:48 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Mr_Christopher
Thanks everyone, I am now researching several makes, models and prices!
Probably not what you had in mind, but who knows:

https://www.smike.ch/

Or how about something like this?:

https://www.trykit.com/

HTH,
tcs
Old 12-11-08, 01:50 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just some things to ponder as you shop......

Please do all the research you want, but only as an aid to make the physical shopping and test riding less tedious on you and your folks. You do intend to have your parents test ride the bikes for comfort and fit, right?

My 80+ yr. old folks rode their 2 wheeled comfort bikes right up until the year my dad died. Mom will probably ride hers again next season. She'll be 82.

I own a 70's vintage Schwinn Town & Country (adult trike). It's not easy to ride. I can handle it, my wife can't. She's actually tipped it over out on the street and now refuses to go anywhere near it.

I'm seeing more grey hairs riding two wheeled recumbents these days. The gentleman who I spoke at length with about his Long Wheeled base recumbent was 72 yrs. old at the time. That was two years ago and I still see him and his wife out riding their recumbents.

Let your folks decide what style and what bike they want.

Happy Trails
Old 12-11-08, 08:28 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by groth
...I looked at the Newton C21 someone posted a link for. I can't believe it!

Although I can't tell for sure what the steering design is, it looks like both wheels turn together and are like a regular bicycle front wheel with trail. A tadpole trike (two wheels in front) needs special steering considerations. The inside wheel on a turn travels in a smaller radius circle than the back wheel and the outside wheel in a larger radius circle. To steer, the inside wheel must be turned farther than the outside wheel. Special steering linkages are needed to make this happen (see Ackerman compensation). If this isn't done, then the tires will scrub (rub sideways) as they go through a turn....
Indeed, reading further on that site:

https://www.roman-road.co.uk/conversions/index.htm

tcs
Old 12-11-08, 08:43 PM
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For an adult Trike, your best bet is probably a shop that uses J&B as a supplier. Sun makes adult trikes that can be configured in several ways. They come as single speeds with rim brakes, but you can order a 3 speed kit or you can order a coaster brake kit. I wouldn't count on many shops having one for you to test ride, though. They are a PITA to build, and they take up a lot of space. Plus, kids like to crawl around on them and ride them through the store, knocking over $8000 Looks and such.

COST on the Sun trike - and I mean OUR cost, not yours - is $199.99 plus shipping. Adding a 3speed Nexus kit w/coaster brake is $79.99. Rear fender kit is $14.99. So, $295 cost. Trikes, due to the PITA of assembling them, and the cost of shipping them (2-3 boxes) are almost always keystoned. So, figure on $599.
Old 12-12-08, 03:49 PM
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Aha - better than I first thought.

Originally Posted by tcs
Indeed, reading further on that site:

https://www.roman-road.co.uk/conversions/index.htm

tcs
You are right, on this page, they mention Ackerman compensation and the photo shows steering axes that might be going through the contact point.

Sorry to have raised a false alarm!

- Ed
Old 12-14-08, 08:31 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Do they NEED or WANT a trike?? Have you broached the subject with them even?
At ages 76 and 73 we still ride an upright tandem (a 2-wheeled 2-seater).
If they have no balancing issues they could ride a 2-wheeler or a tandem.
Take 'em with you to the bikeshop; don't just say 'hey bought you guys some tricycles!'.
A bike (like a pair of shoes) needs to be ^fitted^ to the person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IR&K spring07.jpg (48.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-20-08, 10:37 AM
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mom is 75 and wouldn't be caught dead on a trike. She's shrunk down to 4'10" or so so she got a little Trek WSD roadracing bike and put flat bars on it (arthritis makes braking from the hoods very difficult).
Old 12-21-08, 07:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my 83 year old Mom a Schwinn one speed trike from Walmart this year after she gave up her license. Be certain that you have even tire inflation and a flat cycling surface. The trike doesn't lean into corners and felt awkward on unlevel surfaces. In short, it felt so different from a two wheel bike, she refused to ride it. If your parents are interested in the trike, it will be a wonderful gift. Not only will they get great exercise, but they also will have transportation after they no longer drive. My Mom was stubborn and was unwilling to adjust to living without a car. It was too bad, it could have added much pleasure and independence to her life.
Old 12-21-08, 08:13 PM

Bikes: 1980 Motobacane Team Champion 2008 Gary Fisher Hi Fi 2009 Madone 6.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 91 year old dad and 88 year old mom so have experience dealing with older people and can expect a longer life than most. They also still live independant and still have their sense.

A lot depends on your parents fitness level and desires AND getting your parents involved in the process or the bikes or trikes will rot from disuse. Show them the options and let them decide and how much you will contribute. You do the research which you are doing very well but let them make the choice.