Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm 25% Retired, which means 62% more time for riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm 25% Retired, which means 62% more time for riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Trek 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I'm 52 and have worked half-time since my mid-40s. It's a good, union-scale government job. I couldn't do it at minimum wage.

I'm so much happier without the 40-hour 8-5 grind.
Your government job must be a lot better than my government job. When/if I retire at 62 with 25 years service I will just have enough to cover health insurance for the wife and myself.
Old 02-19-09, 07:10 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Like your new moniker.

I doubt I will ever be a daily rider, but at this point in time, I must say that there are few other activities that even come close to being as relaxing and peaceful as a nice ride. A nice walk / hike along the edge of the Grand Canyon or in the Rockies or in a redwood forest is in the same league.

I once spent a week at a cabin in Allenspark, CO. This is about 12 miles or so south of Estes Park, along the scenic ridge. Altitude was around 8500'. This was in late September and the height of the fall colors. The mountains were a beautiful blend of greens (from the spruces and firs) and golden aspen. The cabin had an outdoor hot tub. There was a wonderful cafe just up the road and the southern entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park was about 3 miles away. Being that it was fall, the elk were in migration and herds of them were milling about - sometimes blocking the highway for half an hour.

The net effect was a level of relaxation that was intoxicating, almost surreal. I really should do that again. Life should have more moments like this.
One - thank you...

and Two -=sigh= that trip sounds sooooooo nice. I am taking some time off from trips Trying to get my finances in order and pay off debt and save something (so I can retire). I usually take one week long bike trip a year. Hopefully next year I am due. I would love to go back to Utah and idle away on those beautiful pristine and traffic-less roads... some day!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 02-19-09, 07:40 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm thinking about low-cost, regional mini-vacations, riding my bike along scenic trails. Such as:

- Great River Trail that runs from Savanna, IL down to the Quad Cities, nearly the entire distance along the Mississippi River. May even attempt to do this in late March, when the weather will be dicy. That's prime migration season and the number and types of birds can be astounding.

- Back to Lanesboro, MN at some point to ride the Root River Trail again.

- Multiple 3-day weekends on the Sparta/"400" trail in central Wisconsin.

- Riding the Badger Trail (the one by my house) down to Freeport, IL and Brodhead, WI.

- Thinking about maybe doing the Katy Trail out of St. Charles, MO in late April. Not committed to this yet.

- Big trip of the year to visit my daughter in Canton, OH and then go on to Cooperstown, NY. Ride some Ohio trails and maybe the Erie Canal Trail in NY.

- Head north up the Mississippi to Red Wing, MN to ride the Cannon Valley Trail again, and the Red Cedar/Chippewa River Trails in Wisconsin.

I tend to stay at $35-$40 mom & pop motels and eat cheap when on these trips. Could do them cheaper if I go the tent route.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post