Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Heart Rate question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Heart Rate question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-09, 05:19 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heart Rate question

Hi eveyone. I'm new here and new to road biking. I am 53 years old.

My question is what heart rate range should I be biking in? I'm in decent shape. I go to the gymn 3 or 4 times a week. I am currently riding 10 to 15 miles in an hour or under and I would like to work my way up to 30 to 40 mile rides or more.

This has probably been asked several times before and I apologize for the newbie question.
Old 03-22-09, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveMc

My question is what heart rate range should I be biking in? I'm in decent shape. I go to the gymn 3 or 4 times a week. I am currently riding 10 to 15 miles in an hour or under and I would like to work my way up to 30 to 40 mile rides or more.

This has probably been asked several times before and I apologize for the newbie question.
do a search on BF, there is a ton of stuff....
Bud
Old 03-22-09, 05:33 PM

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI Search seems to be busted.
Old 03-22-09, 05:40 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What are you looking to do for training? Long rides, intervals? Heart rate depends on the type of training ride you want to do.

The first thing you should do is get a heart rate monitor and figure out your max HR. The 220 minus your age formula is not very accurate. You can do an exertion test to get max HR, or do a calculation such as the Karvonnen formula.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 03-22-09, 05:49 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I think that while the 220-age formula is nearly always wrong, it does give you a starting point. Most of the other formulas predict similar numbers, so they're not much better. Even better than measuring MHR is to measure lactate threshold HR, and it's a lot easier. "Cycling past 50" by Joe Friel is a good guide to setting up a heart rate training framework.
Old 03-22-09, 06:41 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Start tracking your resting heart rate every day before you get out of bed. That's one piece of data that can be useful. And, you don't have to use a heart rate monitor for that.
Old 03-22-09, 07:03 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
It is a difficult question that is rider specific that takes some trial and error to determine. As others have stated, you can use the 220 minus your age as a maximum and then try 60 to 70% of your max. However, a key metric is the time it takes you to recover from the target heart rate you choose when you stop cycling. A good gage is that you are able to recover below 120 bpm within 2 minutes. If your HR stays up, then select a lower percentage of your max. By using this method, you are working hard for your level of fitness but not too hard so that you feel like road kill the next day.
Old 03-22-09, 07:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a lot of very good cycle training books out there. There are also a few very good health books that deal with heart rate issue like Younger Next Year. It's not something that can be covered in a snippet comment on a forum. One needs first to have a defined objective for riding and worrying about heart rates.

I typically cruise at 75% of my measured max heart rate and I deliberately spend some significant time above 80%: up to an hour and a half some times. I make sure that I spend some time above 85% every week to keep my lactate threshold up. Most of my riding is mountain biking and I ride for fun and fitness.

If you don't ride all year around, then you might want to try periodization where the first step is to train your body to burn fats at higher heart rates, then higher for aerobics and then even higher rates for lactate training. Again, it depends on objectives.

A good book on exercise physiology is worth it's weight in gold if one is interested in the health aspects. Two that I've been studying for about a year are Physical Activity and Health and Exercise Physiology; Energy, Nutrition, & Human performance, 6th edition.

Formulas for maximum heart rate are not very useful. If I went that rout, my calculated max is 22 beats lower than my measured. My exercise thresholds would be meaningless and I'd often be over 100% calclated max.

If one is not well exercised, use caution on raising heart rates. Strenuous activity for an insufficiently exercised individual thickens the blood and can lead to heart attacks. You read about it in the winter when folks die shovelling snow. Build up slowly. That may be a significant advantage of going the periodization rout.

Al

Last edited by alcanoe; 03-22-09 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-22-09, 07:35 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Try This.
https://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/
Old 03-23-09, 12:53 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The 220 - age rule is a starting point for your max HR.

You don't state what you are getting to now but I have two rules before I start pushing to my max of 160 (ish)Make certain you are in full fitness and get warmed up well before pushing it. I do a gradual warm up of getting to 120- relax and recover my breathing. 130 and back to 110.140 and back to 120 and then 150 and fully recover. Then I can push to my max on a ride. Without the warm up I doubt that I would get to 135 for any length of time.

Once I have done the warm up- I can ride at around 135 for the ride- push to 150 on the hills and for the final push get to 165 without falling off the bike.

All people are different. Heart rates vary so you may get higher or not be able to get any where near your theoreticl max. Just something you have to find out.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-23-09, 05:14 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Another option is to just go out and ride, gradually increasing your distance until you get to your target distance. No heart rate monitor needed.
Old 03-23-09, 06:43 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your help. With your help I now have several sites with great information and i've ordered a book. I'll be an expert on the topic in no time.
Old 03-23-09, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I think that any rate over zero is good.
Old 03-23-09, 09:34 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I love to measure things obsessively, but I can't be bothered with a heart monitor. If your cardiologist says you should, then you should. Other than that, BluesDawg's approach should be fine. Not only can you improve distance, you can improve time if you want to build strength. Maybe work on distance on some days and on time on other days.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-23-09, 12:33 PM
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You might want to pick up a copy of a book that was recently recommended to me.

"Cycling Past 50" by Joe Friel.

There's a section in the book that answers your question, along with many others.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 03-23-09, 12:39 PM

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yea. throw the computer and just ride your bike. Do you feel good? Is there a smile on your face and a song in your heart? You're ok then.