Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rental bike in Tucson

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rental bike in Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 08:35 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Rental bike in Tucson

I just returned from Tucson visiting my daughter. The weather was so terrific it made me think about moving there. It was a busy several days where we packed in a lot of stuff including participating in a walk/fund raiser, moving her to a condominium, playing 3 rounds of golf, eating at several fabulous restaurants and renting a road bike for a couple of solo rides.

Below's the Trek 2000 I rented. I had not ridden a triple in several years-but this one was a really good value. I certainly could not have flown my bike out for the cost of this rental. Solid frame and rear wheel. Note the holder for mounting my Garmin on the stem which I remembered to take at the last minute. The saddle really made me appreciate the saddle I use-I would not do a 100 miler using this one......

It was my first extended riding using the bike lanes in Tucson (other than the El Tour). I even went out on a Monday morning at the start of rush hour. It wasn't too bad but certainly preferred the weekend traffic levels. I wasn't able to get in the full route I had intended as I encountered some pretty strong headwinds on Sunday but still got in a good enough workout to slightly offset all the calories I consumed........plus a few margaritas.

The ride was okay but it reminded me how much I like my carbon fiber frames. I could not pull the seat high enough so rode it a little shorter than normal but not a big deal. I should have removed the frame pump-totally annoying on the bumpy roads. The 105 shifters and components also made me appreciate the Dura Ace I'm accustomed to-just a different feel. But I really like the red frame.

Golf courses were really, really nice as well.

Old 04-02-09, 06:39 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I love Tucson at this time of the year, right up until the end of June, then it gets a little warm for me. A friend of mine is in the process of building a house in Lake Havasu and I plan on spending some time there but not until this fall/winter.

That is a very nice ride for a rental. You don't usually see that quality of bike used as a rental, but that is a good biking community and a vacation destination so they probably do enough business to justify it.
Old 04-02-09, 10:12 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Sounds like a great trip and a perfect time of year to be in Tucson. I assume the bike was aluminum frame and fork. Riding other bikes with different components can allow one to appreciate the stuff we own (or may want to buy).

With respect to golf, I put my game in storage along with my clubs. However, there are bike racing analogies to tournament golf. For example, Saturday my chain came off with 20 seconds left in the countdown before my TT start time. I had to dismount, put the chain on (I had back pedaled and it came off), cleat in, reposition my feet as the starter said go. That is the golfing equivalent of driving the first ball out of bounds on the first tee of the tournament.
Old 04-02-09, 04:17 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Sounds like a great trip and a perfect time of year to be in Tucson. I assume the bike was aluminum frame and fork. Riding other bikes with different components can allow one to appreciate the stuff we own (or may want to buy).

With respect to golf, I put my game in storage along with my clubs. However, there are bike racing analogies to tournament golf. For example, Saturday my chain came off with 20 seconds left in the countdown before my TT start time. I had to dismount, put the chain on (I had back pedaled and it came off), cleat in, reposition my feet as the starter said go. That is the golfing equivalent of driving the first ball out of bounds on the first tee of the tournament.
Don't feel alone on the chain coming off. I've been a holder at our TT's at Lowes Speedway and its amazing how many times that happens. At least you didn't fall at the start-not the most flattering experience that I've seen happen to many......

And I would bet your golf game would come back quickly so get it out of the closet!! After playing my 3rd round in 3 days in Tucson, I hit every shot as solid as I could possibly hit it. I hit 13 of 14 drivers off the tee exactly where I was trying to hit it. Darn little ball just wouldn't go in the hole when I wanted it to......
Old 02-06-16, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rented some great carbon road and mountain bikes from Tucson Bike Rentals and Tours. They are a mobile delivery service! Way cool. Google them.
Old 02-08-16, 05:38 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Glad you all enjoyed riding in Tucson area!
Have lived/cycled here since 1978 . . . Ridden 29 El Tour de Tucson events (15 of them with my wife/stoker on our tandem). Quit riding El Tour when I turned 80.

This time of year it's great; rode today and it was only 80 degrees.
Have ridden summers here ('warmest' ride only 117 degrees with 2% humidity). Now that I've been retired for 21 years we usually bail out for cooler spots for the summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image60-1 (1).jpg (68.4 KB, 91 views)
Picture0044.jpg (63.7 KB, 90 views)
R&KSanXavier 07.jpg (37.0 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by zonatandem; 02-08-16 at 05:40 PM. Reason: error
Old 02-09-16, 12:38 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 709 Posts
Originally Posted by thomasaccosta
I rented some great carbon road and mountain bikes from Tucson Bike Rentals and Tours. They are a mobile delivery service! Way cool.
I've used Cycle Tucson for many years, they too are a mobile delivery service with a fleet of gorgeously tuned-up Cannondale CAAD9s. Highly recommended. Tell Gary & Jessie I sent ya!
Old 02-10-16, 10:31 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Gary and Jesse were long time owners of a great bike store on Swan Rd.
They quit that and started a great bike rental outfit. Very attuned to cyclists' needs!
Old 02-15-16, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
It's often very practical to rent a bike on my travels. It's great for sight seeing, visiting landmarks and evening dinners. I often wonder what it would be like to bring a bike to a high end restaurant and hand it to the Valet. Maybe someday.
Old 07-31-16, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to rent from Gary and Jessie back in the 90's. I was just out there and they are now out of business. I guess they started a bike shop! Kind of cool. I was in Oro Valley and I rented a Specialized Sworks from Oro Valley Bike Rentals and Tours at bikeaz.org/orovalley-bicycle-rentals/
Old 08-05-16, 09:33 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
It's often very practical to rent a bike on my travels. It's great for sight seeing, visiting landmarks and evening dinners. I often wonder what it would be like to bring a bike to a high end restaurant and hand it to the Valet. Maybe someday.
We did that on our tandem at Slieve Donard, Newcastle, Northern Ireland, ending a two week tour with a stay at the resort and a Van Morrison dinner and concert! July 2013