Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OK, nuther question-what's ya'll wear under yur shorts?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

OK, nuther question-what's ya'll wear under yur shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 08:54 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing under padded cycling shorts. You want seamless contact between the saddle and the nether regions . . . Seams = wear and tear
Old 04-17-09, 09:17 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HIPCHIP
If my boys are a swingin and a swayin, I'm in pain. I was taught that while working on my degree's in Sports Medicine, that there is a value is supporting the fellas, but with supportive shorts where you're not having them swing in the breeze I guess that would work.
If your lycra fits then nothing is swinging.
Old 04-17-09, 10:02 PM

Bikes: Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bag Balm
Old 04-17-09, 10:18 PM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good cycling shorts don't allow the boys to go astray. Everything is nicely snugged up and secure.
Old 04-18-09, 04:24 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your shorts should hold things in as well as a jock would do. Seams are your enemy, friend!
Old 04-18-09, 04:44 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Strange as it might seem, when I am riding a lot, I wear shorts and underwear with my mountain bike on the roads. This is mainly because my rear end isn't sitting much on the seat. Our roads are very rock, nasty and I have a hardtail. So, I am almost standing all the time. I read about this in a book once that if you are doing mountain biking correctly, you could remove your seat and you could still ride. It sure is more comfortable. I ride horses too and so it is similar to posting.
Old 04-18-09, 05:21 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
If my boys are a swingin and a swayin, I'm in pain. I was taught that while working on my degree's in Sports Medicine, that there is a value is supporting the fellas, but with supportive shorts where you're not having them swing in the breeze I guess that would work.
What I notice , is not just the swaying, but without bike shorts, the saddle seems to insert itself up one's openings. And the boys can't decide what side of the saddle's horn they are supposed to be on.. Shorts are certainly a safety factor. Cyclists might find nightmares are made of male cyclists putting 180 pounds directly atop the fellas.. But, then it's cheap birth control.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-18-09, 05:25 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
During the fifties the jock strap consortium paid millions of dollars to physical education instructors all over the country. That outlay of cash has reaped benefits for decades. It wasn't until a TV writer (Friends) decided that enough was enough and he challenged the status quo. Now the chains are off and we are FREE, FREE, FREE!
Old 04-18-09, 05:34 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Next you'll be saying football players will be liberated should they not wear their 'cup.'.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-18-09, 05:56 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 4,652 Times in 2,138 Posts
28 seasons, 160,00 miles, nothing.

Old 04-18-09, 06:48 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by referee54
I wear cycling shorts and, on top of those, baggy shorts with a few pockets---looks like mtb shorts, but fits me much better. Under the cycling shorts nothin' at all...

TSC
I started doing this too now and then. My wife and I often stop for breakfast or lunch in the middle of long rides and it is nice to have a regular pair of shorts.
Old 04-18-09, 07:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all cargo shorts have their pockets in a good position for cycling. Baggy cycling shorts will omit the rear pockets (and associated seams). They'll also tend towards shorter front pockets and side pockets higher up, so that the contents aren't moving around as much.

Which isn't to say I won't wear regular cargo shorts, just that I consider my baggies well worth the price. I have yet to spring for the ones with detachable liners, though.
Old 04-18-09, 07:58 AM

Bikes: Just a Raleigh C-200 with many upgrades

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryBy
Not all cargo shorts have their pockets in a good position for cycling. Baggy cycling shorts will omit the rear pockets (and associated seams). They'll also tend towards shorter front pockets and side pockets higher up, so that the contents aren't moving around as much.

Which isn't to say I won't wear regular cargo shorts, just that I consider my baggies well worth the price. I have yet to spring for the ones with detachable liners, though.
Very true--but have yet to find cycling baggies that I find truly comfortable---it is like Goldilocks---either the cycling short is too big or too small, or the baggies are ginormous or restricting. I have a rear trunk and keep my wallet, cell phone, etc., in there.

TSC
Old 04-18-09, 09:16 AM
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started long distance touring, I had no education at all about cycling such as we can obtain from forums like this one. I rode 340 miles with blue jeans and cotton underwear. Got such a terrible rash that I could hardly walk for days. Second long trip I wore padded riding shorts, but with cotton underwear. Suffered from nasty shafing and rash. Finally went to a bike shop specializing in racing etc. and was told to wear only the shorts and sprinkle corn starch on the pad.....have put thousands of miles on since without anymore rash discomfort at all.
Old 04-18-09, 11:09 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I wear a skin suit under mine- but it now needs ironing.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-18-09, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lew
Finally went to a bike shop specializing in racing etc. and was told to wear only the shorts and sprinkle corn starch on the pad.....have put thousands of miles on since without anymore rash discomfort at all.
So what is with corn starch? I have never tried chamois butter but have been thinking about it for long rides. Is corn starch an alternative?
Old 04-18-09, 01:14 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by referee54
Gotta tell ya, though, I have umpired HS and college baseball for 36 years, and a cup UNDER a jock strap is much more comfortable...I put on boxer briefs, (no chafing) the cup, and a supporter to hold everything in place. I call my cup, "my bestest buddy."

Sorry to hijack the thread...

TSC
I don't umpire anymore. The last knee surgery did me in. I only worked to Senior League level. But boxer's with a cup & cup holder over the top worked best, even if umpiring the 6 year olds. I'm real risk averse.

As to cycling....the only thing under my cycling shorts is Big John and the Boys, with Buttbutter or plain ol' vaseline if I'm going over 20 miles.
Old 04-18-09, 03:07 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Well, the first answer said nutten honey, so does honey work as good a chamois butt'r?
The honey's ok, but the nuts get a little lumpy after 50 or so miles ...
Old 04-18-09, 03:09 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by alicestrong
Chanel No.5
I think I'm gonna like you.
Old 04-18-09, 03:18 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 4,652 Times in 2,138 Posts
Re: corn starch -

Corn starch is a food source for some fungi and fungi can be a problem considering the constant dampness of riding shorts. So, if you suffer from rectal or jock itch, use talcum powder and avoid corn starch.

Old 04-18-09, 03:18 PM

I had basically the same advice in high school, and thought I'd give it a try on the bike I had back then --- BADDDD IDEA! The problem is introduction of new lumps and ridges as part of the new "helpful" garment.

Good bike shorts are quite snug, and being Lycra give support. They also have specially sewn seams that are located right, and are flat. The padding, called chamois for historical reasons, adds to the cushioning and support, while also helping to manage bacteria. You NEED this to fit you like a second skin.

There's another source of support, which is the front section of the saddle. There's no problem if your partly resting on it, but you need the shorts to keep anything from, well, falling off the side and getting caught (did this, too, back in high school).

The better quality of bike shorts you get, the better job it will do of meeting all these beneficial requirements. Of course you can wear other pants over them, but the presence of seams and a tendency to bunch must be minimized.

Road Fan
Old 04-18-09, 03:25 PM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
The jockstrap is the dumbest dam' thing ever foisted on young men! The ones I awlays got had some sort of ribbing the just chaed the heck out of the insides of my thighs. I gave them up in HS when I started running cross country. I had an open-minded PE teacher and just wore a pair of cotton briefs.

Now, under bike shorts nothing is more comfortable than nothing. Though just starting to experiement with some lotion on longer rides.
Old 04-18-09, 03:33 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Where is the Underwear Nazi when you need him/her??
Read these words of wisdom from the Underwear Nazi:

Originally Posted by Underwear Nazi
All right, game over.

No underwear under bike shorts for any reason ever. No excuses.

Can I be any clearer than that? No?

I thought not.

Underwear is the enemy. Burn your boxers. Incinerate your BVDs. When the lycra goes on, the cotton goes off.

The only thing worn under bike shorts is a smear of chamois creme. (Everything else is in perfect working order).

Underwear Nazi
Got it? Good!
What do I wear under my bibs? A little sweat and nothing else!!!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-18-09, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Nuthin' butt a little chamois butter to prevent chafing
Old 04-18-09, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Skin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.