Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

There's something I can't figure out about Life

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

There's something I can't figure out about Life

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 04:54 PM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
When it rains, there are movies. When it doesn't rain, there a bicycles. What, exactly, is the point of gardening?
I got introduced to gardening by my ex wife. It wasn't the usual kind though. It was xeriscape gardening. We had a giant tequila bush in our back yard, a beautiful blue agave. We also had edible cactus, and our neighbor had a desert apple trees that put out delicious but delicate apples in the middle of the summer heat. We baked them into delicious pies for him (and us). The birds loved the plants in our back yard and we often had 7 species or more there at one time.

My proudest achievement was transplanting a native Palo Verde tree that had sprouted in our yard. I moved it near to the neighbor's yard where their overwatering would help it grow fast, eclipsing their hisbicus bushes. When we left that house, a contractor moved in, and apparently ripped out much of the yard, and let a rare 20' tall orange tree die. But the Palo Verde tree thrived. I feel good because the tree was one of the trees that had been growing in that valley since before history, and many were being ripped up and replaced with non-desert plants. The tree might live for 200 years and it's children will flourish as the people abandon the neighborhood because there is no longer enough water for them. So I feel as though I helped a native species survive. What could be better than that?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-26-09, 07:49 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife loves to garden.

I also love fresh, locally grown produce. That's why God invented Farmer's Markets.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-26-09, 07:53 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
What, exactly, is the point of gardening?
To give the wife something to work on when I'm riding. Of course.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-27-09, 11:27 AM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To build upper body strength for cycling.
Old 04-27-09, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
. . .point of gardening?
It's the privilege of existing in the same space that the old gods inhabit. To be puzzled by that response is to be denied understanding; by definition. No amount of rational inquiry will shed light, alas.

Oh, and it's the tomatoes!
Old 04-27-09, 12:22 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I get the whole food-from-the-earth thing. I come from a long line of farmers. I spent many, many hours driving one of these when I was in my teens and 20's.

The *best* thing about wheat harvest is that there is typically room on the armrest for a Coors beer.

However, if you try to take a beer out in the garden with you it keeps falling over in the dirt.

So I'm still not buyin' it.
Old 04-27-09, 07:18 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it rains, there are movies.

When it doesn't rain, there a bicycles.

Gives the rain a purpose, and provides fuel to power the bicycle.

Sheesh...
Old 04-27-09, 08:35 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
Ultimate Answer: 42. Ultimate Question: What do you get when you multiply 6 by 9?
And somewhere in one of those books Arthur Philip Dent says, "I've always felt there was something fundamentally wrong with the Universe."
Don't Panic.

The Earth is mostly harmless.

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-27-09, 08:53 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
When we left that house, a contractor moved in, and apparently ripped out much of the yard, and let a rare 20' tall orange tree die.
Had a similar experience: went by my old house in Encinitas and saw that the 3 avocados, the plum, the cherimoya, the apricot, the loquat--all gone. There is a big new house in their place now and very little yard.

My garden gives me a lovely place to relax after my ride--until the mosquitos notice that I'm there and alert every nasty little bloodsucker in the city.
Old 04-27-09, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I get the whole food-from-the-earth thing. I come from a long line of farmers. I spent many, many hours driving one of these when I was in my teens and 20's.

The *best* thing about wheat harvest is that there is typically room on the armrest for a Coors beer.

However, if you try to take a beer out in the garden with you it keeps falling over in the dirt.

So I'm still not buyin' it.
If I don't cut my grass soon, I'll be looking to rent one of those things.
Old 04-28-09, 05:50 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
When it rains, there are movies.

When it doesn't rain, there a bicycles.

Plaid!!!

Oh, you mean this isn't a Netflix commercial?
Old 04-28-09, 08:26 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
If I don't cut my grass soon, I'll be looking to rent one of those things.
Here you go:

https://combineforums.proboards.com/i...gi?board=acres
Old 04-28-09, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
Gardening has long competed with cycling for my time. "Sluggo" refers to both my speed on the road and my garden nemesis.

They have many of the same attractions. Time outside with the weather and the seasons (and rain does not send me to the movies); healthy exercise; creativity of garden design or mechanical problem-solving; the anticipation of the results of hard work. And tomatoes. And mountain tops.
Old 04-28-09, 07:46 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Flippin' gardening.....
I've attempting my first ever.
this morning I went out and found my cucumbers, and melons gone. Eaten to the ground by something. I'm not sure whether it's a critter or bugs.

Today I installed a drip system, replaced plants, but anti-bug junk about, and built screens to go over them.

We'll see how that works. I'm no hoping to get my tomato cost down to $15 each....

Next year: Farming will be left to farmers.
Old 04-28-09, 08:10 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have officially been declared a 'HAZARD TO PLANTS" by the ASPCP (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Plants).

They have an injunction preventing me for planting any seeds or potted plants or similar, or being within 10 feet of any living flora.
Old 04-28-09, 08:52 PM
Randomhead

Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
Curtis is exactly right. The point of gardening is tomatoes. Real ones that taste like the 50+ crowd dimly remember from childhood.
I think the store bought ones are getting worse and worse. Cherry tomatoes are the only ones I can stand, they still taste like real tomatoes.
Old 04-30-09, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
To make money and eat things that actually taste like something.If you haven't ever tasted tomatoes straight from the garden,you don't know what your missing.Those red things is the store ARE NOT tomatoes.You might as well eat the vine they grow on,it's just as ripe.

You can grow tomatoes,cucumbers,peppers and other goodies upside down in hanging 5gal buckets.No critters will get those.

Last edited by Booger1; 04-30-09 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-09-09, 08:17 PM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
OK, I have a lawn care tip to share with you. We all know that owning a gas-powered mower is God's way of telling you that your yard is too large.

However, this I just learned -- if you own an old-fashioned reel mower, and you haven't had it sharpened in 8 years, it really is worth having it sharpened. Trust me on this.

That's all I got.
Old 05-10-09, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Just to provide some context, this is a photo of our back yard 7 years ago this week. We took it down to the dirt. When we had the chance, we could have easily covered it with asphalt, or perhaps salted down the soil so nothing would ever grow.
Interesting.

The house that my daughter recently rented has the back yard covered with artificial turf. I guess they must not get enough rain in Seattle to keep the grass green.
Old 05-10-09, 08:46 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got in from cutting the grass (for the second time this week!). Next thing on the chores list is buying plants for the planters we put on the front step. Gardening does result in something pleasant to look at or eat (we do tomatoes only) - but I don't go overboard.

Then, finally it will be 35 miles and 2000' of climbing. After all that the better half will get a nice dinner for Mom's day which I will cook - her request this year, crab cakes like I use to make her when we lived in Va. We will see if I still remember how to make them.
Old 05-10-09, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its someplace nice to look at, while sitting on the patio, enjoying a cool one, after a nice ride along the Platte river or along the Highline canal where you get to look at everyone elses great gardens..
And The SanMarzino tomatoes are great on the pizza, along with the fresh Genovese Basil . Then the Humming Birds come to dine on the Penestemons and Salvia, and top The day off..

Bud
Old 05-10-09, 01:44 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just had to re-organise the bike shed. Due to restraints in the garage- The mower lives in the Bike shed- just tucked inside the door

BUT- Son-in-law has just finished with the shredder so that has come back to its rightfull owner- The Rotavator that was out on loan was returned a couple of weeks ago to make it easier to re-lay the lawn of one of my neighbours- and is not going back to the person that has had it on loan for the last 6 months. Then one of my neighbours cleared out his garage and has returned the tent he borrowed a couple of years ago.

So I now need a gardening come potting shed so that all the gardening stuff can get out from under my feet.

And a tip for anyone with a slug problem- Used Coffee grouts put round susceptable plants work wonders. Not as much as a Double Diamond would but only the British would understand that one.

Spike Milligan