Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

bike maintenance-repair videos

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 07:59 PM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Just wondering if there are any bike maintenance and repair videos out there that are recommended for a pure beginner? I've ordered some guitar playing videos and find most of them are worthless, but I've ordered some recording engineering videos that sucked and some that were worth their weight in gold! So need a "Hold my hand and walk me through step by step" video(s) if any exist.

Thanks all,
Dan'o :}
Old 06-02-09, 08:06 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Use the search function, you despicable scum.

That's just a joke, but you would have gotten that answer at the roadie forum, and they would have been just a little right. Not the despicable part.

I went over to YouTube and typed in "Fixing a rear derailleur" and it pulled up a few dozen videos, many of which looked helpful. So I'd try You Tube.
Old 06-02-09, 08:12 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
https://bicycletutor.com/

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=bicyc...fp=jdOYMfF-0fs
Old 06-02-09, 08:20 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link

That's just a joke, but you would have gotten that answer at the roadie forum, and they would have been just a little right. Not the despicable part.
Do ya think those roadies might be civil if I went there and asked if anyone knew where I could find some videos to help me maintain my recumbent bicycle?

(No offense to any of the older folks in this forum who ride road racing-type bikes.)
Old 06-02-09, 08:32 PM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dan'o

What style of guitar are you interested in? If it's acoustic fingerpicking, you really can't beat Stefan Grossman, plus he was a member of the Fugs, and one of the "Blues Mafia" Check out the Guitar Workshop Series I've had good success with Grossman's beginners' stuff, and a little luck with Ernie Hawkins' Willie McTell DVD.

As for Bicycle mechanic video's, I've used the Youtube stuff to supplement Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance and Park's Big Blue Book.
Old 06-02-09, 09:39 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by zoste
Dan'o

What style of guitar are you interested in? If it's acoustic fingerpicking, you really can't beat Stefan Grossman, plus he was a member of the Fugs, and one of the "Blues Mafia" Check out the Guitar Workshop Series I've had good success with Grossman's beginners' stuff, and a little luck with Ernie Hawkins' Willie McTell DVD.

As for Bicycle mechanic video's, I've used the Youtube stuff to supplement Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance and Park's Big Blue Book.
Did the Guitar Workshop for awhile and it was OK. Learned a bit and then advanced on. I'll look at the others too.

I've got the Zinn book, so looking for vid's that will supplement that, but will check out You Tube.
Old 06-02-09, 09:43 PM
Lance Legweak

I went over to YouTube and typed in "Fixing a rear derailleur" and it pulled up a few dozen videos, many of which looked helpful. So I'd try You Tube.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but the two ton truck will turn your wheels into tacos!!!

I figured there's probably tons of vid's out there, and ton's of opinions, but I'm looking for something specific, a vid for a beginner that walks you through everything. I've seen beginner vid's that sucked and forgot what it was like to be a beginner, so that's why I'm asking specifically instead of trying to filter through the opinions of the other posts.

Figured that for an intelligent person with knowledge it would be a simple answer. For some I guess it's not!
Old 06-03-09, 06:22 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I used Youtube for a few things and found some very good videos.
Old 06-03-09, 08:59 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HIPCHIP
Figured that for an intelligent person with knowledge it would be a simple answer. For some I guess it's not!
I ressemble that statement. Mea culpa, it's a point well taken.

I've posed one techy type question on three different subforums here and each time have received lots of helpful recommendations to "use the search feature, stupid". It's a pet peeve of mine. I asked the question here and the moderators moved it to Foo, which was really weird since it had to do with computers and route mapping. Oh well.

But I would check out YouTube for stuff. You can also use the search function to find the "lamest MTB video evar". I'm kind of proud of it.
Old 06-03-09, 09:05 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does it have to be a video? The Park Tool website and also Sheldon Brown have helped me immensely...
Old 06-03-09, 09:39 AM
Lance Legweak

I ressemble that statement. Mea culpa, it's a point well taken.

I've posed one techy type question on three different subforums here and each time have received lots of helpful recommendations to "use the search feature, stupid". It's a pet peeve of mine. I asked the question here and the moderators moved it to Foo, which was really weird since it had to do with computers and route mapping. Oh well.

But I would check out YouTube for stuff. You can also use the search function to find the "lamest MTB video evar". I'm kind of proud of it.
Don't ya just hate it when you ask folks for help and they offer a no help answer?
I figured you and I were just teasing each other, like normal.
You've helped in the past, and I'm sure you'll help in the future.
:}
Old 06-03-09, 09:40 AM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by alicestrong
Does it have to be a video? The Park Tool website and also Sheldon Brown have helped me immensely...
Just found out about the Park Tool website yesterday, same with Sheldon Brown (just got my issue of RBA yesterday!!!). I'll check them out too.
Thanks,
Old 06-03-09, 09:55 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
Do ya think those roadies might be civil if I went there and asked if anyone knew where I could find some videos to help me maintain my recumbent bicycle?

(No offense to any of the older folks in this forum who ride road racing-type bikes.)
Just be sure that you don't open your question with "while riding my recumbent and blowing by a roadie dressed in full team kit, I noticed a noise coming from my rear...."
Old 06-03-09, 10:53 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Most of the repair videos that I have found on the net are pretty much aimed at basic levels of understanding. I don't think there is much point in making a bike repair video for an expert mechanic.

I have always been able to find a lot of information by searching at Google. I have rarely found what I was seeking by searching Bike Forums. The search function is just not very good imho.
Old 06-03-09, 12:54 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
try also:

eHow.com
youtube.com

I learned how to wrap bar tape on youtube. yes I actually watched how to do that
Old 06-03-09, 01:57 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
try also:

eHow.com
youtube.com

I learned how to wrap bar tape on youtube. yes I actually watched how to do that
Never heard of eHow. Have to check them out.
Thanks,
Old 06-03-09, 03:29 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I set up a video camera in my garage, and am filming myself every time I work on my bike. I plan to make a fortune from "how not to" videos. I need to find out how to bleep out all of my "color commentary"
Old 06-03-09, 04:16 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I set up a video camera in my garage, and am filming myself every time I work on my bike. I plan to make a fortune from "how not to" videos. I need to find out how to bleep out all of my "color commentary"
That's easy. Next time you're video taping and you feel a "Bleep" moment coming on, just take a drink of beer! By the end of the video you should have the bike fixed, nobody will be able to understand the words that be comin out of your mouth, and all the blood will distract them from the profanity anyway!
Old 06-03-09, 04:58 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Just be sure that you don't open your question with "while riding my recumbent and blowing by a roadie dressed in full team kit, I noticed a noise coming from my rear...."
While riding my recumbent dressed in my most comfortable overalls and converse all-stars, my beard flapping in the breeze, and blowing by a roadie dressed in full team kit, I marveled at how comfortable the ride was with the Big Apples deflated to 20/30 psi Front/Rear but wondered if there are any videos that would show me how to put some larger-diameter tires on my 'bent.......................