Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Old 10-04-22, 06:03 PM
ADguy 

Bikes: '99 Pinarello Stelvio; ‘85 Cannondale ST500; '75 Austro-Daimler AD-SL; '84 Peugeot PH11; '83 Peugeot PH18; '91 Bridgestone MB3; ‘95 Bridgestone NB26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Pinarello Test Ride Reveals Flaw

Back to the Cape Cod Canal RT last Friday. More boat traffic than bikes while test riding a new CL find from Wednesday: a ‘99 Pinarello Stelvio.This bike rides beautifully and is very fast!
While reviewing my ride pics at the halfway point in Bourne, I noticed a chunk of front tire missing and then another missing piece when I examined the tire carefully. So… my return to Sandwich was much slower, thanks to a strong headwind and some additional rider caution.

Test rides, that’s why we do them. I’ll be on this bike again with fresh tires on Sunday on a bikeforums group ride to Wellfleet on another section of the Cape Cod Rail Trail (after another test ride).

This is the Buzzards Bay Railroad Lift Bridge. Finished in 1935, has a span of 544’ and is the 2nd longest lift bridge on the planet. If you look closely, you’ll see where a portion of my front tire is missing.

The Bourne Bridge is one of two that span the canal and are the only driveable ways to get on or off the Cape. Driving them today is an adventure, given that they were engineered for the slower and smaller vehicles of the time. Both of them were finished in the early 1930’s, and are scheduled for replacement, hopefully before I croak.
Old 10-04-22, 11:52 PM
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Quoted: 3312 Post(s)
Liked 3,116 Times in 1,532 Posts
Grateful to post this thread

My 20 yo carbon hike

Long ride to a nice but short trail.
Old 10-05-22, 11:05 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 456 Posts
Last Saturday was The Heck of the North (the name is a play on "Hell of the North"), I rode the 105-mile course on my drop-bar Pugsley. I think I was annoying a rider on a nice new carbon gravel bike, he kept on seeing me on route and couldn't figure out how I was riding the same pace as him Truth is, the course has you riding some very tough sections of rocks, mud, grass, etc, and 4 inch tires let me ride these challenging conditions faster.

Here are the stats:
Distance: 104.5 miles
Elevation: 3,990 ft
Conditions: cloudy, 45F to 52F, 10 mph
Official time: 7:01:27
47th place of 160 finishers (& 11 DNF)
6th place of the 31 men in their 50s
And 1st of two fatbikes I saw on the course (& reviewed photos to confirm)
Finish line photo:

YouTube edit from my GoPro

The route ... 2022 route in blue and 2019 route in red, both shared the last 35 miles

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-05-22, 01:26 PM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts
Done that ride several times, always enjoyed it. The Cape has some really nice dedicated paths. Nice pix
Old 10-05-22, 09:47 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Bought a new to me steel bike. Rode it for 18 miles. Sweet ride and my first Campy experience. All good.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1: