Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Did you ride today? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/555896-did-you-ride-today.html)

TCR Rider 11-15-15 05:08 PM

First of all, Happy B Day Jim.

Weekend update. Sat 11/14 - 50.1 miles @ 16.4 with 2096 feet. Temp has dropped 48 deg with a hellacious steady 20 mph wind with gusts to 35 mph.
Sun 11/15 - 35.3 miles @ 15.8 with 1181 feet. Nasty wind continues cross/head wind coming off the narrows. A real beatdown at least the hip is showing some improvement.

SirrusEliteDisc 11-15-15 05:31 PM

I little over 18 miles on the Hugh S. Branyon trail in Orange Beach Alabama. The baby alligators were out sunning and there was a pair of Bald Eagles flying overhead. Oh and there were a few people out there too! Beautiful sunny day in the low 70's !

canklecat 11-15-15 09:12 PM

Went for a short bike ride Sunday evening but had to settle for a regular ride because I don't have a short bike. Got caught in the rain. On the plus side the fellow who gave me a ride home last month when I had a flat stopped again and offered a lift. Good fellow. But I was already soaked and wanted to finish the ride in the rain to test the new Michelin Protek Cross Max tires.

Those new tires grip like Velcro. In a rural area on wet surfaces I couldn't make them slip: smooth and rough asphalt, oily and wet; mowed grass, weedy grass; rough road gravel and larger smooth decorative beach stones. On soft wet grass I locked up both brakes so hard the rear of the bike ended up over my head, but I landed on my feet... and then fell over slowly in disbelief at my dumb luck.

Dumb 50+ stunts. Nary a bruise or strain. And now I know to shift my weight farther back, and not bother to lock up the front brake on dirt or grass because those Michelin's won't break loose on soft stuff. :bike2:

qcpmsame 11-16-15 08:00 AM

Sunday afternoon's ride was 28+ miles, absolutely beautiful weather for riding. Temps were in the mid 60s, low humidity (for our location) and only a slight SSE wind. It got a bit chilly along the shaded sections of roadway, but choosing light weight tights, and a ls jersey worked out quite well. Going to figure out the route for my birthday ride, later this week, not sure what to put together for the necessary mileage, or maybe I should use kilometers, getting in the klicks sounds different.

Bill

schwinn1959 11-16-15 10:31 AM

I rode 9 miles Saturday in lake city fl the first rid was a 5.5 mile from the softball complex down bascomb norris to grandview to behind the middle school to mcfarlane back to soft ball complex and around the parking lots 5.5 miles wind blowing hard .headwinds. then to desota lake. started in front of courthouse and around the lake 3 times with going behind city hall and down by the courthouse and back up the other side.that was 3.5 miles. i did my best time around the lake 3.5 minutes got bad shin cramps ankle cramps and foot cramps, hurt, drank apple vinegar yuck what is the best solution for cramps not my first time HELP

John_V 11-16-15 01:23 PM

Another very windy day today. Had a hard time keeping the bike upright during the sidewind gusts. Ended up with 50 miles riding with my friend, Frank 2.

JanMM 11-16-15 09:12 PM

Avoided rain late this afternoon by leaving work a couple of hours early. Nice to have remote work as an option. 18 miles commuting total.

qcpmsame 11-17-15 07:31 AM

Strange weather yesterday, cloudy most of the afternoon, the humidity was up slightly, but not to the point of being muggy. Temps were moderate, 73ºF, and cooler in the shaded parts than it would usually be. 28+ miles, trying to prepare for more.

Bill

jimmuller 11-17-15 08:35 AM

Our weather isn't especially strange for this time of year. I'm still commuting. When I left the house this morning it was about 29degF. Wool socks are a great idea. Whoever thought them up should be given an appreciation award.

mht7159 11-17-15 12:06 PM

Got in 42.7 miles early this morning 1276 ft of climbing and it was chilly about 40 degrees 4:30 in the morning is starting to feel too early but oh well got to get the miles in somehow.

OldTryGuy 11-17-15 07:31 PM

Headed out this windy/sunny/warm AM for maybe 50 miles. By the time I got back home had done 79 miles.

c.miller64 11-18-15 07:00 AM

Great ride yesterday at Flatwoods Park, Tampa with Kurt Searvogel who is nearing the end of his world record mileage attempt. Got in 152 @ 20.5 while Kurt continued long after dark and finished with 241 miles. 312 days in, Kurt is currently sitting at 64,682 miles!

qcpmsame 11-18-15 07:07 AM

Cut things short yesterday, 18 miles was it. too much SE wind to ride safely with traffic increasing from "going home time". The gusty nature made for some sudden control issues, if I didn't stay alert. Also, the harvest of the peanut crops is back on, last weeks rains soaked the fields beyond the ability to safely operate the combines and tractors. The dust gets considerable when they are going full bore, right now they are doubling up the fields in the area I usually ride. Should be raining all-day, today, but its sunshine and cool temperatures for the remainder of this week.

Bill

John_V 11-18-15 10:56 AM

More very strong winds today with gusts up to 30 mph during the last 12 miles of the ride. Did a nicely paced 35 mile ride with my buddy Frank this morning.

jimmuller 11-18-15 05:35 PM

Well, yeah, I did ride my commute yet again today. Temperature was 26degF when I left the house this morning. Not bad but there is danger lurking in the frozen aftermath of people's lawn sprinklers. Have to be careful. Probably won't ride tomorrow.

schwinn1959 11-18-15 09:42 PM

yes I rode near 13 miles today, quiet enjoyable.my grand daughter wants to ride in the rain, she is 11 and now interested in biking with her papa. I am worried about taking her on the main roads.she is very intelligent what age would be good to start. I don't understand why vehicles get angry at bikers who obey the law. I am getting braver as I ride. also any recommendation for shin,ankle and foot cramps.I take apple vinegar yuck. just love riding my admiral schwinn 7 speed. one day my dream is to get a real bike.... hope to win the lottery hahahaha it won't happen .

Doohickie 11-18-15 11:57 PM

First ride in almost three weeks, first fixie ride in longer than that. 32 miles with the Night Riders of Fort Worth

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...14569931_o.jpg

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...41565939_o.jpg

About 24 miles into the ride we stopped at Fiesta Mart to pick up some food for our Pedal for Plenty food drive.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...85437830_o.jpg

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...97123104_o.jpg

...and then I stopped at El Tacolote for some street tacos for dinner on the way home.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...59130796_o.jpg

Greybeard712 11-19-15 04:08 PM

Took an afternoon ride today, 17 miles on the Sirrus. I've only been able to ride 4 times in the past 23 days. VA has no clue what's causing the hand cramps (duh). I looked at the calendar and figured "Old Age" :50: I'll get back on the road bikes eventually.

2015: 4506 Miles ♂ Monthly Avgs: Day 11 · Wk 78
2013-2015: 9181 Miles · Total Avgs: Day 16 · Wk 115

Allez 1132.1 · Roubaix 1206.2 · Sirrus 647.4 · Trike 1520.2

canklecat 11-20-15 12:01 AM

Just a quick 6-7 miles Thursday evening to keep the legs limber. Only time for short errand rides the rest of the week. Hoping to get in a longer ride Friday before the weather turns this weekend.

Going on my third month of riding since starting again in late August, and for the first time actually felt a surge in acceleration strength. Before this week I just concentrated on spinning without worrying about travel speed, and trying to avoid straining anything out of impatience. Still not much stamina for sustained effort, but getting there slowly.

qcpmsame 11-20-15 07:01 AM

After watching it rain all day Tuesday, today was a gift as far as the weather. Beautiful blue skies, mild winds, and cool temps, 27.35 miles yesterday afternoon. Not nearly a birthday ride distance, but its was an enjoyable birthday celebration ride. My family gave me a nice gift card for our LBS, and my SIL and her husband gave me a sweet base layer top. A homemade pecan pie after dinner last night. Mmmmmmmmmm!

Bill

h2oxtc 11-20-15 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 18332838)
After watching it rain all day Tuesday, today was a gift as far as the weather. Beautiful blue skies, mild winds, and cool temps, 27.35 miles yesterday afternoon. Not nearly a birthday ride distance, but its was an enjoyable birthday celebration ride. My family gave me a nice gift card for our LBS, and my SIL and her husband gave me a sweet base layer top. A homemade pecan pie after dinner last night. Mmmmmmmmmm!

Bill

Happy 51st Birthday Bill! I would have said 35, but this being the 50+ ...

AND Pecan Pie? You are blessed immeasurably to have both.

:bday:

jimmuller 11-20-15 11:27 AM

Happy Birthday! Unless you ever plan to be under 50 in the near future I would think birthday-ride distance is purely optional. Mandatory, yes, but also optional. :)

John_V 11-20-15 02:03 PM

Drove up to Ridge Manor, Florida, this morning and did 60 miles on the Withlacoochee Trail with two of my riding buddies. Rode from Ridge Manor to Trilby and up to Inverness which is up by Ron H's neck of the woods.

rck 11-20-15 02:43 PM

Beat the coming snowstorm with a 20 mile ride. Breezy, 37 and damp. 20 years ago, 37 degrees felt a lot warmer!

canklecat 11-20-15 03:40 PM

Happy birthday! Mine too, although I'm celebrating only every decade from now on. I'd hoped to ride 58 miles today, one for each year, but was sidelined by back and neck spasms. I'll try again this weekend and add a couple hundred yard penalties for days missed.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 18332838)
After watching it rain all day Tuesday, today was a gift as far as the weather. Beautiful blue skies, mild winds, and cool temps, 27.35 miles yesterday afternoon. Not nearly a birthday ride distance, but its was an enjoyable birthday celebration ride. My family gave me a nice gift card for our LBS, and my SIL and her husband gave me a sweet base layer top. A homemade pecan pie after dinner last night. Mmmmmmmmmm!Bill