Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

CO2 inflation question

Old 06-28-09, 11:49 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CO2 inflation question

Yesterday I purchased a Wrench Force CO2 pump devise (see image) and Bontrager 16g cartridges. What are your thoughts on this type of inflation devise and do you recommend another type/style than the Wrench Force? What do you consider the positives and negatives? Can I over inflate a 27x1 1/4 road tire with this size cartridge. I want to purchase the same set up for my daughter except she will use 12g cartridges for her hybrid tires.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wf_84993_07_s.jpg (2.2 KB, 127 views)
Old 06-28-09, 11:58 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Negatives:
1. CO2 molecules are sneaky lil critters and get through your tubes... inflation won't last very long... but will certainly get you home. 2. You can waste and run out of CO2.

My choice is good ole American air... pushed by a little Crank Bros pump. You never run out.
Old 06-28-09, 12:05 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
Negatives:
1. CO2 molecules are sneaky lil critters and get through your tubes... inflation won't last very long... but will certainly get you home. 2. You can waste and run out of CO2.

My choice is good ole American air... pushed by a little Crank Bros pump. You never run out.
Interesting.... The use of this devise would be just for quick fixes, do you have any idea how long inflation will last (probably an impossible question to answer)
Old 06-28-09, 12:28 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjc9640 View Post
Interesting.... The use of this devise would be just for quick fixes, do you have any idea how long inflation will last (probably an impossible question to answer)
As I recall... from what I have read on one of these forums somewhere, your tire will be very noticeably down tomorrow. I have found the CO2 so easy to fumble around with and spew the stuff out that I just bailed on it after a couple of tries. With a pump you can practice at home inflating your tires so that when the time comes in the real world, the process is familiar. There's something to be said for that.

Here's a link: http://www.rei.com/product/716810

I have the cheaper model without the guage. Again, I strongly advise practice so that you are familiar with how these things work. And they do work.

Last edited by billydonn; 06-28-09 at 12:32 PM. Reason: add linky
Old 06-28-09, 12:38 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 10097 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many people report significant loss of inflation in one day. The CO2 molicule is soluble in butyl rubber so it sneaks through the interface by a method other than leaking. It works good for on the road/trail fixes but should probably be replace by real air upon return to home.

The 16 gram cartridge will fill a 700c 23mm tire to about 110/120lbs and a 26 x 2.0 to about 40psi.

My own preference is for the Planet Bike Red Zeppelin or any other inflator that screws on to the tube stem, uses threaded 16 gram cartridges (more expensive) and has an on off adjust knob to regulate flow. Those that are pressed on by the user are prone to leaking and giving you a hard time. 12 gram cartridges are just large enough to require 2.

Beyond that, people who suffer multiple flats on a ride can run out of cartridges.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/1019.html. Look here for device and manual including psi/size chart.
Old 06-28-09, 01:09 PM
byte_speed
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had CO2 inflated tubes completely flat the next day, at least twice. Other times, it was only partly down.

A couple more pros/cons, skipping previously mentioned items:

Plus
Size - obvious
Instant inflation.
Pump failure less likely (I have been stranded 3 times with broken pumps)
It is harder to break off a valve stem with CO2 (but I have done it by pump & CO2)

Minus
It is harder to partially inflate the tube for installation. You can do this by mouth, but pressure is limited.
If the metal CO2 cartridge is exposed, it gets dangerously cold.
Old 06-28-09, 01:22 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak Road Morph, or Topeak Mountain Morph. The best there is when it comes to inflation on the road. Built in gauge, and a handy hose to prevent stem damage. The fold out handle and foot rest is a plus as well. Both will easily pump to 100# and above. The Road Morph will go to 140#, just not as fast.
Old 06-28-09, 01:32 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will find that CO2 users swear by whatever they have got- and some still don't trust it and also carry a pump.

Then there are ones like me that only carry a Pump- A Good one such as the Topeak Morph Series.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-28-09, 01:38 PM
obie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Topeak Road Morph
+1 for the Morph but, remember that not everyone likes getting a 23c back up to 120 psi with a mini-pump. The last 10-15 pds. are a grind.

I go back and forth on CO2 and pump. Currently riding w/o pump and two cartridges. If I decide to take a long ride out east I would have both. I also don't trust the Morph alone - I can imagine breaking it as I hustle/grunt to get myself back on the road and bust the handle off or similar. They aren't the strongest looking pumps out there. Built for weight weenies and low price as I see it. I do like the pressure gauge.
Old 06-28-09, 02:33 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 10097 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pumps fail too. On a ride a few weeks ago, my morph shed essential parts. Reviews indicate that I am not alone on this. The ultimate answer.....carry both.
Old 06-28-09, 02:52 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Pumps fail too. On a ride a few weeks ago, my morph shed essential parts. Reviews indicate that I am not alone on this. The ultimate answer.....carry both.
Whenever I am out with mates and a puncture occurs-I know what I have to do and that is to get the pump off my bike. It is the only pump that can be relied on to work out of all the riders. And this has been the case for the last 15 years which is the last time I had a Pump fail.

Regular bike service will also include a check that the pump works- and every 3 months it is stripped down- seals checked and Re-greased where necessary ( "Special" grease for rubber seals) and then tested.

And current road bikes pumps are a Mini Morph and a Road Morph. The Mini morph works well up to 120psi but it takes a long time to get there- Haven't tried the road morph in anger yet but hopefully it will not take as long.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-28-09, 03:03 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my Tarmac - which is my training, sprinting & climbing bike I carry CO2, I have a simple device that threads onto the cartrage and you just back it off a bit to let it fill the tire. I give it the whole load. I carry 2 cartrages. On my Simoncini - my distance bike I have a road morph pump, I can also carry CO2 as I have an extra head but don't any more. On the commuter which has low pressure MTB tires, just an el-cheapo pump. The only time CO2 has let me down was on my first race last weekend where I flatted twice and because I had no pump - I was done.
Old 06-28-09, 03:06 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Specialized Air Tool Combo2 Pump. I use the CO-2 part mostly but I have the hand pump feature in case I run out of CO-2. The 16 G will pump your 700c 23s to 120 Pounds pretty quick. You will have to top them off in a day or so but mostly you are just trying to finish the ride so it doesn’t matter much. I like the quick fill feature and how easy the CO-2 is on the valve stem. But you do need an option just in case you run out of CO-2. But you can fill a tire to 120 pounds just as fast as you can say 120 pounds.
Old 06-28-09, 03:20 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Regular bike service will also include a check that the pump works- and every 3 months it is stripped down- seals checked and Re-greased where necessary ( "Special" grease for rubber seals) and then tested.
Hmmm. That's a good point. I carry a Zefal HPX on my retro grouch bike but I haven't used it in years. I ASSUME it still works but I can't say for sure. I don't get very many flat tires but the last several have been either on the tandem or on my poseur points bike. Those bikes carry CO2 only.

I stopped carrying a frame pump on the tandem when I realized that I hadn't used it for roughly 10 years. There's no good way to carry a full sized pump on my Klein and I don't want to mess with minis because they take way too many pumps to get a road tire up to pressure.

After fixing a flat with CO2 I've never had a bad experience and I don't worry about getting home but the tire is noticeably soft by the next morning. I generally top off my tires (with a floor pump) before every ride anyway so who cares?
Old 06-28-09, 05:27 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On tandem we carry a Topeak Mt. Morph. 100 pump strokes puts in 100 lbs into our 700x25 tires/tubes. Will pump up to 120#. Best/easiest pump we've used in over 225,000 miles of tandem cycling.
Old 06-28-09, 06:04 PM
67walkon

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CO2 will get you home. You need to pump up for the next ride.
Old 06-28-09, 06:16 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
CO2 will get you home. You need to pump up for the next ride.
That is pretty much what I had in mind. I have a floor pump at home and top off the air pressure every couple of days.

Old 06-28-09, 09:42 PM
skiph

Bikes: '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Many people report significant loss of inflation in one day. The CO2 molicule is soluble in butyl rubber so it sneaks through the interface by a method other than leaking. It works good for on the road/trail fixes but should probably be replace by real air upon return to home.

The 16 gram cartridge will fill a 700c 23mm tire to about 110/120lbs and a 26 x 2.0 to about 40psi.

My own preference is for the Planet Bike Red Zeppelin or any other inflator that screws on to the tube stem, uses threaded 16 gram cartridges (more expensive) and has an on off adjust knob to regulate flow. Those that are pressed on by the user are prone to leaking and giving you a hard time. 12 gram cartridges are just large enough to require 2.

Beyond that, people who suffer multiple flats on a ride can run out of cartridges.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/1019.html. Look here for device and manual including psi/size chart.
^^^^

+1

A good place to get that unit as a kit with 2 cartridges for half the 'retail' price:

http://stores.ebay.com/Redrock-Distr...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Also has bulk cartridges.

I've never seen 12 gram threaded cartridges, so have to use the 16 gram threaded ones.