Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road Bike Forums

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Road Bike Forums

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-09, 08:55 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I can't remember my memory ever being better than it is now. Does that mean I qualify?
The corollary to Rule #2 is that if you can't remember that your memory was ever any better, then you qualify to hang around here.
Old 09-06-09, 09:01 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
I dunno--I was a member there for seven years, about 6500 posts, and I enjoyed the tone of the conversations and also the Lounge (non-cycling) and Politics Only sections. There's much more to life than bicycles, and there's no place here to ponder life's vicissitudes.
There are some Arrogant Roadie Pr!cks there, but also some people who are very knowledgeable. I posted questions in the Lounge on topics from choosing a laptop computer to painting my kitchen cabinets to having a new well drilled, and I always got prompt, accurate answers from other members. After 40 years of cycling, I don't have a lot of bike-related questions, but there's a lot of stuff I don't know about, and that was a good source.
How come I'm not there right now? Lifetime ban for a political comment a couple of weeks ago. Apparently the new moderator is one of the Arrogant Roadie Pr!cks.
I wondered what happened.

And this part is absolutely true.

Couldn't agree more.

Last edited by TMB; 09-06-09 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-06-09, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Maybe I missed something, but I think the discussion was about the Road section here on bikeforums.net, not the other separate road bike forum.
I must agree.
Old 09-06-09, 09:29 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curdog
I've finally decided to avoid the road bike forums for good. What I often found there was a small group of individuals who dominate the conversation. So-called experts who can't discuss a subject because they are always right.
This forum is really a breath of fresh air. Information in this forum is very valuable to those of us trying to learn. Along with this, there seems a real sense of community that doesn't exist on any other board which I have monitored. The closest thing to insult I've seen on this forum is a friendly joke. Rarely a flame.
I only hope that I can feel a part of this community soon.
I have had very good feedback in Road Cycling Sub-Forum, Touring, Training & Nutrition, Long Distance Cycling.
In fact I started out with the other Sub-Forums because I got more useful information there.
The Fifty Plus (50+) Sub Forum is a more friendly place but not as performance oriented as some of the other Sub-Forums. A little more of a social club I think but there are some exceptions here also.
As I started out I knew almost nothing about Performance biking. However I decided to bike fast across the USA. I remember some guy advising me to get Aero bars on the Touring Sub Forum. Another guy pushed me into watching nutrition more closely and the Road Bikers talk about Nutrition and Cadence and HR all the time. Not to mention the latest gizmo. This Sub-Forum is more likely to make you feel as part of a group. Other Sub-Forum have other priorities I think.
Old 09-06-09, 10:12 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
I have had very good feedback in Road Cycling Sub-Forum, Touring, Training & Nutrition, Long Distance Cycling.
In fact I started out with the other Sub-Forums because I got more useful information there.
The Fifty Plus (50+) Sub Forum is a more friendly place but not as performance oriented as some of the other Sub-Forums. A little more of a social club I think but there are some exceptions here also.
As I started out I knew almost nothing about Performance biking. However I decided to bike fast across the USA. I remember some guy advising me to get Aero bars on the Touring Sub Forum. Another guy pushed me into watching nutrition more closely and the Road Bikers talk about Nutrition and Cadence and HR all the time. Not to mention the latest gizmo. This Sub-Forum is more likely to make you feel as part of a group. Other Sub-Forum have other priorities I think.

Yes.

I am still a few months from my 50th birthday, but for most of the last 3 or 4 years, the majority of my "lurking" at BF has been in the 50+ forum. For that reason.

I just never posted before.
Old 09-07-09, 11:03 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You don't see to many colonoscopy threads over there either.
Old 09-07-09, 06:51 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it over there.
Botto has grown on me to the point that I like reading his posts! Good source of entertainment over there , for me anyway.
And I have learned stuff there too.
Old 09-07-09, 06:55 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Isn't it spelled moron?
Old 09-07-09, 06:59 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't noticed anybody on the 50+ Forum that wasn't civil. I find many on the Road Bike Froum to be less than civil. I hope folks don't think I lack civility because I prefer to ride a road bike.
Old 09-07-09, 08:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just some food for thinking.
There are folks who think that striving for excellence in biking is a worthwhile goal. If that becomes a focus, these folks may be perceived as not tolerant to other folks who think that social interaction is where it is at.
OTOH, these social interacting folks are not tolerant to folks who are single minded in improving their biking skills or stamina or physical health.
That has been my observation.
Neither group has the right to judge or make fun of or bad mouth the other group. They are simply not compatible.
Old 09-07-09, 08:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And on the other other hand, some people just like to get attention any way that they can. Some even like to annoy other people. There's probably a clinical term for it.
Old 09-07-09, 09:03 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I enjoy slumming there. It's like the wild west, without the politeness before the shooting.
Not that there is ever much actual info.
Old 09-08-09, 03:20 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Not that there is ever much actual info.
I think there is some info there, you just need to to really dig deep to find it.

I think you need to admit though that some of the wild west shootings are deserved.
Old 09-08-09, 05:58 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
Isn't it spelled moron?
Not all the time.

Old 09-08-09, 06:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just some food for thinking.
There are folks who think that striving for excellence in biking is a worthwhile goal. If that becomes a focus, these folks may be perceived as not tolerant to other folks who think that social interaction is where it is at.
OTOH, these social interacting folks are not tolerant to folks who are single minded in improving their biking skills or stamina or physical health.
That has been my observation.
Neither group has the right to judge or make fun of or bad mouth the other group. They are simply not compatible.
It is a truly laudible goal for people to have a passion for improving their biking skills, stamina and health, but they have no excuse for being intolerant nor uncivil. They can ignore the posts that don't address their passion, rather than trying to make somebody feel less worthy! They also might try to help foster that passion in somebody who hasn't reached their level of expertise!

Last edited by gtragitt; 09-08-09 at 06:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-08-09, 06:54 AM

Bikes: 2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmburch
I mainly look at the road cycling section, then commuting, then clyde or 50+ or Northern California.

I frequent other boards for SCUBA, freediving, spearfishing, fishing, skiing.

There does seem to be more "experts" on this board that desire to tell others their point of view. I have picked up some very good advice on this board though.
Perhaps you haven't hung out on the DecoStop... technical, wreck, and cave diving... they have more opinions (and testosterone) than you can "shake a stick at" ... but certainly there are forums on this board like this one that are useful to lurk and learn from, as well as others that are quickly a waste of time.
Old 09-08-09, 09:06 AM

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am a recreational diver. I assume DecoStop is a technical and perhaps DIR. Yes, these groups of divers may be analogous to Road Cyclists.
Old 09-08-09, 09:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtragitt
It is a truly laudible goal for people to have a passion for improving their biking skills, stamina and health, but they have no excuse for being intolerant nor uncivil. They can ignore the posts that don't address their passion, rather than trying to make somebody feel less worthy! They also might try to help foster that passion in somebody who hasn't reached their level of expertise!
I think we are in agreement.
The problem comes in the details. Lets pick an example:
The performance bikers know from experience and studies the importance of higher cadence biking.
A Newbie enters the discussion and claims that low cadence is better based on his/her experience on relatively short rides. The performance biker may be not gracious in telling the Newbie what is a well known procedure.
This has happened to me many times. It helps if you know that you do not know. Trouble is that our culture has developed to the point that every opinion must be graciously handled regardless how uninformed.
Old 09-08-09, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think we are in agreement.
The problem comes in the details. Lets pick an example:
The performance bikers know from experience and studies the importance of higher cadence biking.
A Newbie enters the discussion and claims that low cadence is better based on his/her experience on relatively short rides. The performance biker may be not gracious in telling the Newbie what is a well known procedure.
This has happened to me many times. It helps if you know that you do not know. Trouble is that our culture has developed to the point that every opinion must be graciously handled regardless how uninformed.
I like your example and your points with one execption. I think our culture has deteriorated to a point where there is little tolerance for diverse opinions. It would be more desirable to use facts to dispell wrong assumtions and not attempt to belittle a person holding those incorrect notions. My point is that our society is now less civil than in previous decades. As 60 year old I have seen this trend occuring and find it to be discouraging.

What is nice about this group in general is they gained their sense of values in a more civil era, and those values are still intact as society is deviating from a more civil era. As a 60 year old I can relate to becoming less flexible as I age, but I like to think that I am civil and respect the opinions of other people.
Old 09-08-09, 11:24 AM

Bikes: 2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmburch
I am a recreational diver. I assume DecoStop is a technical and perhaps DIR. Yes, these groups of divers may be analogous to Road Cyclists.
I'm DIR, although I've laxed into Hogarthian a bit the past few years...

However, my philosophy has always been:
"Friendships are more important than dive philosophies"
Old 09-08-09, 11:29 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideon7
And on the other other hand, some people just like to get attention any way that they can. Some even like to annoy other people. There's probably a clinical term for it.
from the New Hacker's Dictionary:

troll /v.,n./

[From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.

Some people claim that the troll is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial.

Old 09-08-09, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Here's the difference: over on Road Cycling, to refer to CYCLING (the activity of) as "biking" is simply not on. One does ride a "road bike", but the activity is "cycling", not "biking". On 50+, we tend to let solecisms like this slide by, but 'over there' they would precipitate a serious flame-fest One can go "biking" on a mountain bike, or a hybrid, but most certainly not on a road bike
Old 09-08-09, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Here's the difference: over on Road Cycling, to refer to CYCLING (the activity of) as "biking" is simply not on. One does ride a "road bike", but the activity is "cycling", not "biking". On 50+, we tend to let solecisms like this slide by, but 'over there' they would precipitate a serious flame-fest One can go "biking" on a mountain bike, or a hybrid, but most certainly not on a road bike
That is good information. I will try to rmember that I am cycling rather than biking.
Old 09-08-09, 12:34 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-08-09, 12:51 PM

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had to Google this word.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solecism

I will have to edit my profile to "Road Cycling" rather than road bike. What a waste!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.