Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Patch

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 09:06 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Patch

Last night I needed to fix a flat on my Tarmac. Although I had a bunch of new tubes on the shelf I decided to try a patch from the new glueless patch kit I bought last summer, I never used them before. At first I was skeptical - the patch looked like it was made out of extra thick packing tape cut into a circle. I roughed up the tube, stuck it on (like tape) held pressure on it for 30 seconds, stuck it back in the tire and reassembled everything - pumped it up and it held fine for the morning ride. Man that is so much easier than messing with the glue and hopeing it has not dried out from the last use.

Any other experience with these?
Old 10-30-09, 09:27 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What brand are you using?

My supply of glueless patches went into the garbage, but they were something different, not as thin as what you have.
Old 10-30-09, 10:03 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gcottay
What brand are you using?

My supply of glueless patches went into the garbage, but they were something different, not as thin as what you have.
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...2_175170_-1___
Old 10-30-09, 01:02 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They work great in the cooler weather...but the glue gets soft when the temps get above 95° and then you lose air at the patch...at least that's been my experience. I've tried several brands and Slime makes a very good one, but in the summer I just go for a new tube.
Old 10-30-09, 03:30 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Patchs were the inthing when i was mountain biking- You get so many punctures that the 6 that you get never had time to deteriorate. On the road though- I found I was using two and the rest did not work. Seems that the glue does have a lifespan that meant that a fresh tube of glue was cheaper and more benificial than a few lumps of plastic that no longer work.

And a packet of patches cost £2 over here- A conventional patch kit is only £1.25.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-02-09, 02:59 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I use glue-less patches, watch out for their shelf life - if they stay in your pack for a long time they lose effectiveness. Which reminds me to get new ones.
Old 11-02-09, 03:29 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My experience has been that the glueless patches work fine - for a while. Then they fail. My LBS stopped carrying them because they got so many complaints.

IMHO, once you have gone to the trouble of removing the wheel, tire and tube, finding the leak and preparing the tube for the patch, the little extra effort to apply glue is pretty insignificant.
Old 11-02-09, 03:42 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
My experience has been that the glueless patches work fine - for a while. Then they fail. My LBS stopped carrying them because they got so many complaints.

IMHO, once you have gone to the trouble of removing the wheel, tire and tube, finding the leak and preparing the tube for the patch, the little extra effort to apply glue is pretty insignificant.
+1 IME, the glueless patches just delay tossing the tube. They're a temporary fix at best. REMA makes the best patches ATMO.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 11-02-09, 03:55 PM
Junior WHAT?!?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always keep a pack of them on my seat pack. Right under my spare tubes. When I run out of tbes I will use them. I get new pack in the spring as my LBS told me that after a summer of bing in the heat they are not reliable.
Old 11-02-09, 09:28 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The conventional wisdom I've always heard has been that glueless patches will get you home and that's about it. Used properly, a glued patch will last a long time.
Old 11-02-09, 10:14 PM

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
+1
I'm a belt and braces kind of guy about flats. My flat kit includes a spare tube, a standard patch kit in case the spare gets a puncture, and a glueless patch set in case the glue tube in the standard kit dries out.
Old 11-02-09, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I've tried 2 different brands and I've had them come off when they get hot, as in a long descent with lots of braking. Also had one blow off while the bike was in the hot car.
Old 11-03-09, 09:51 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I use glue-less patches, watch out for their shelf life - if they stay in your pack for a long time they lose effectiveness. Which reminds me to get new ones.
That was my experience too. I used to carry a few with me in my saddle pack but, since I don't get very many punctures, they got old and dirty before I had an opportunity to use them. Eventually I threw them away without ever using one.
Old 11-03-09, 01:11 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My experience with them is, they are only good for about 15 miles at 80 psi. The more pressure, the sooner they'll fail.