Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Acetabulum fracture-engineering question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 12:54 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In another thread, I told you guys about going down on Dec 1 and having major surgery to repair my fractured acetabulum (pelvis).

A neighbor told my wife about a kid who fell on a bike at another intersection in the neighborhood. It's a small area.

They just resealed our asphalt roads over the last several months. My wife walked today and reports the road is really slick if there is any wetness on it. We're starting to wonder if that caused my fall.

Does anyone have any info about this?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-09, 01:05 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
google
Old 12-12-09, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What sort of information?
Old 12-12-09, 01:48 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Ask your local road commission what kind of sealer they use and if it usually creates this slickness.

Plus then you'll have the name of the product and you can google that.
Old 12-12-09, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Ask your local road commission what kind of sealer they use and if it usually creates this slickness.

Plus then you'll have the name of the product and you can google that.
If you think the road surface may have caused your accident, contact your lawyer. You may have a cause of action against the materials supplier or the governmental entity responsible for the work. If you don't want to pursue legal action, and you just want to notify the road commission of a potential problem, then go ahead and contact them directly. Unfortunately, unless they are threatened with a legal action, it's unlikely that they will do anything.

Resurfacing can result in unreasonably slick road surfaces. One place I was working resurfaced the parking lot over a weekend. Everyone showed up for work on Monday, no problem. During the day it rained, and when work let out at 5, people were sliding all over the place. It was like a skating rink.

Sorry about your accident, and again, if you want a shot at recovering damages and getting a dangerous situation fixed, see a lawyer before you start calling people. Best of luck!
Old 12-12-09, 04:36 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
If you think the road surface may have caused your accident, contact your lawyer. You may have a cause of action against the materials supplier or the governmental entity responsible for the work. If you don't want to pursue legal action, and you just want to notify the road commission of a potential problem, then go ahead and contact them directly. Unfortunately, unless they are threatened with a legal action, it's unlikely that they will do anything.

Resurfacing can result in unreasonably slick road surfaces. One place I was working resurfaced the parking lot over a weekend. Everyone showed up for work on Monday, no problem. During the day it rained, and when work let out at 5, people were sliding all over the place. It was like a skating rink.

Sorry about your accident, and again, if you want a shot at recovering damages and getting a dangerous situation fixed, see a lawyer before you start calling people. Best of luck!
Good point, Terex.

Just from the engineering side: Road surfacing coatings can contain oils when they are fresh. Due to rain this oil can rise to teh surface an cause a slick patch. I think a sealant would be more of a polymer material, that would contain any inherent oil. But being non-permeable, oil added, say drippings from cars, would stay on the top. When it rains, this oil is loosened from the surface, since oil floats on to p of water. Hence, slipperiness after rain storms.

Just hoping to aid with general understanding.