Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you enjoy riding in colder temps?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 03:54 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Every year I rediscover how much fun it is to ride in colder weather-as long as the wind is not blowing too hard.

I did 50 miles on the 1st and temps were in the mid 40's and it felt just perfect. I went out today and did 30 miles and temps were in the high 20's-but the wind was much more challenging. The cold air was rejuvenating. Plus it seems everything just slows down and gets more quiet when it's that cold.

I've finally figured out just the right clothing combinations for the temps so I'm very comfortable but not too hot and sweaty. This is my first full season using the Specialized subzero gloves and they are amazing for temps below 50. I just used the outer shell for the 40 degree ride and they were perfect. For todays colder ride I used the liner inside the shell and again it was perfect. They are nimble enough to provide plenty of dexterity as well.

However riding in these temps feels like riding at its purest.

Anyone else?
Old 01-03-10, 04:00 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
No.
Old 01-03-10, 04:26 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not a cold weather person but this year I have done some rides in the 40 degree range. I can manage that temp pretty well with no wind. I have not figured out the proper clothing procedure and I over dress and get sweaty then when I stop and start again I get cold. I guess I will just have to keep working at it. I am thankful that we don't have that much cold weather here in Central FL.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
fiets810.gif (23.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-03-10, 04:40 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Got out Sat 1/2 and it was mid 40's. Pretty cold for this climatized So Floridian. That's my limit, about 45 deg. Could do colder weather w/o wind, but don't have the clothing for that. Just doesn't make sense when we only got a few weeks a year of cold weather.

Wore a long sleeve jersey and a light weight jacket and gloves. Don't have long pants or leg warmers, but they got warm pretty fast. The 8 mph wind picked up to abut 14 but the sun was out and the temps got up inot the upper 50's. Also I planned the route so we fought the wind going out and pretty much had a tail wind home.

I'm enjoying the cold weather, but I'm surprised how hard it is to ride. I really rather have 90 deg and 95% humidity.
Old 01-03-10, 04:41 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
The past few days have been in the single digits. I've ridden nearly everyday for the past two weeks and it's been at freezing or below. Do I enjoy it? Well, yes, or else I wouldn't do it. Do I wish it were warmer? Yes.
I went to the Goodwill store the other day and bought two wool sweaters. They help immensely, along with Goretex boots, a ski mask, ski pants, polypro longjohns, and warm, dry gloves. Not to mention studded tires. And a small thermos instead of a water bottle. And an oversized helmet with a face shield that goes on over a stocking cap.
You should see me. I look like Diver Dan.

Last edited by sknhgy; 01-03-10 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-03-10, 05:47 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, Jim (er jppe),

We really need to get together now that I am permanently in the Charlotte area. Last Tuesday, the club I ride with did 101 which wasn't bad (26 at the start) due to lots of sunshine--though it did freeze my water bottle. But the last 40 or so miles were nearly due north into about 10 mph of wind.....that was a little brutal. New Year's Day was a nice ride, in the mid 40's, but the past couple of days were nearly off the scale for discomfort levels. We are heading to south Florida tomorrow for a week and while it is only going to be in the 60's, it will feel like a heat wave compared to here, so I should get a good start on the 2010 mileage. I think that Jan and Feb are the times to get some long rides in to build up the miles for later in the season. Also, Jan is my birthday month, so time to ride my age....you up to that sometime soon???

Tim
Old 01-03-10, 05:50 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Nope.....

Old 01-03-10, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Not really. I used to enjoy it more than I do now. Getting dressed in all the layers, the booties, double gloves, face covering, etc. etc. is a workout in itself.

These days I try to force myself to ride the trainer.
Old 01-03-10, 06:25 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
No (defined as 40F and lower)
Old 01-03-10, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
No, but I do it. It sure makes that first spring ride without all the gear nice.
Old 01-03-10, 06:33 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'd rather ride at 40 degrees than 100 degrees.

BTW, I just calculated the other day that 46% of my annual mileage over the last 3 years is in the "cool" months - October through March. If I didn't ride in cooler weather I wouldn't ride nearly as much.
Old 01-03-10, 06:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live for this weather! The crackly sound of studded tires on pavement. the brisk heavy stillness of the air. From the sparkling of reflected sunlight on a cushion of fresh powder to the smooth iced over roads, I LOVE IT.
Old 01-03-10, 07:01 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
What I really like is when the river backwaters around here freeze over. I love riding on the smooth ice with my studded tires. It's just like ice skating but faster.
Old 01-03-10, 07:03 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
50F is not too bad. 40F is about my limit for road riding, especially if there is wind. I can go a bit colder offroad, like the very enjoyable 35F MTB ride today. I enjoy the cooler temps in the fall and the moderate days in the winter, but I have more trouble with cold weather than hot. 65 to 75 is heaven.
Old 01-03-10, 07:05 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by icebiker76
I live for this weather! The crackly sound of studded tires on pavement. the brisk heavy stillness of the air. From the sparkling of reflected sunlight on a cushion of fresh powder to the smooth iced over roads, I LOVE IT.
...and the sound of ice cracking under your wheels...

(Saw this on the local news in Wichita, Kansas, last week...this is from KAKE Channel 10....)

Intense moments for Hyatt Hotel employees who rushed into action to save a man's life in downtown Wichita Tuesday afternoon.

Hotel workers saw a bicyclist heading across the Arkansas River just north of where the bridge crosses the waterway at Waterman Street.

The man apparently thought the river was frozen over enough to allow him to ride his bicycle over it but instead he plunged through the ice.

The employees sprung into action. While one called security for help, others were rushing to help pull the man from the river. Thanks to their quick thinking they were able to rescue him from the freezing water using a life buoy.

Tony Johnson was one of the employees who rushed to the man's aide after pulling him from the water. "We just tried to get his blood moving so he could get up," Johnson says. Employees took the man into the hotel lobby to help get him warm.

Mike Piland says he and the other employees tried to work fast. "By the time he got close enough for us to throw a buoy to him he was getting tired, Piland says.

"He was alert and everything and didn't have any problem walking when we got him out so I think he just made a poor decision. He should have taken the bridge," Piland adds.

"It feels pretty good to save someone's life," Hyatt employee Chris Campbell says, "especially in ice like that in the winter time."

No word yet on the identity of the man or why he was trying to cross the river on a bike.
Old 01-03-10, 07:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually like it hot. The hotter the better, but any ride is better then throwing the bike in the trainer. That said, it is all about the clothes. I have the same Specialized gloves and only put them on at 30. Balaclava is also a must. Next year I will add winter shoes. Right now I live with toe warmers. However, our 26-30 degree days and 20-40 MPH winds made the trainer look more appealing. For me riding below 30 requires very little wind.
Old 01-03-10, 07:31 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Riding in freezing temperatures is an offense to wisdom and reason.
Old 01-03-10, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I enjoy riding anytime. I usually get an hour ride in during lunchtime. During the 15-25 F weather a few weeks ago it took me almost as long to dress and undress as my ride time, but I managed a ride every day. It is not bad when I know there is a hot shower when I get back to the office. However, I really like riding in warm weather.
Old 01-03-10, 07:45 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Riding in nasty heat and humidity beats cold weather ( < freezing) cycling hands down. Speaking of hands, I hate cold fingertips.
Old 01-03-10, 07:54 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. I'll take 107 degrees over 40 degrees every time.
Old 01-03-10, 07:56 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mind taking the mtb out when the temps get cold but the road bike is really uncomfortable with the big hills around here. The climbs are too long/steep to stay dry and the descents are too long/cold when sweaty. There is no combination of clothes that will work and I can't carry the extra needed for the descents if I dress lightly for the climbs. If I lived where jppe lives I could handle riding on the road but not up here. Besides, riding on the road in the 20s is just too cold anyway. There's always ice on the road in unpredictable locations. It's not worth the risk to me and the season is long.
Old 01-03-10, 08:12 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
yes, this is the most fun I've had in a long time. I just have to keep and eye on my toes when the temps get under 30
Old 01-03-10, 08:13 PM
Knocking off the rust

Bikes: LeMond Tourmalet, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can take it down to the mid 20's if there is zero wind and a lot of sun. Add 10 degrees for the absence of each of those benefits. Not really crazy about riding when it is below 35 - many of the backroads I ride are very shady and there are usually a lot of ice patches, and always in the worst spots.

JPPE - what was your clothing combination for each of those weather conditions you described?
Old 01-03-10, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When the weather gets into the 40s, it take me a couple of hours after a ride to get get warm again. On the bike my eyes tear and my nose runs and my ears ache. I'll take 90s over the 40s any day.

It is completely and absolutely true that when you live in warmer parts of the country you can't take the cold like people who live elsewhere. Case in point: If you saw the Champs Sports Bowl a few days ago in Orlando, you saw fans from Miami all bundled up in the 50-degree weather, while the fans from Wisconsin were in shirt sleeves.
Old 01-03-10, 08:26 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I love cool weather. 50s through 30s are great for me... preferably without wind, of course. Fewer people are out, which I also enjoy. Looking back at last year's riding log, I see that I was riding in January with temps in the 30s... which was heavenly. It is impossibly bad now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.