Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Didn't get it done...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Didn't get it done...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Didn't get it done...

Took a half day from work today so I could ride my age. Unfortunately, 20 degree weather, 18- 30 mph wind gusts, some dubious planning, and a rather surprising accident kept me from the planned 58 miles. I knew it would be a difficult ride (at least the first half) since I was riding into a pretty stiff headwind, and for a reason I can't now fathom, I thought I'd load the commuter with 58 lbs of gear to 'double' mark the event. I was planning a simple out and back route. About 3/4of the way out, I was headed around a very sharp icy incline and clipped the front wheel/fender with my right foot. I had totally forgotten that I had put slightly larger fenders on the bike to accommodate the studded tires. I went down pretty hard, and must have slid 30 yards on the ice. No damage to the bike. Only minor damage to my ego, a few bruises (thank heavens for the additional padding extra layers provide) and a somewhat swollen right knee. It was the quickness with which the knee swelled that told me I needed to turn tail and head back home. So, I did get in 42 miles.

I'm wondering if it will still count if I ride my age at the mid-way point in July? I'm sitting at my desk typing this with an ice pack on my knee and thinking that birthdays in January suck.
Old 01-06-10, 01:21 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Nos, Im with ya buddy. I appreciate your guts and determination, and respect your good judgement. I vote for allowing the July (or sooner if you wish) ride.

I'm scheduled to ride my age 62 on sunday with some buddies from the bike club, but us FLA wimps are dropping like flies. The sunday forecast calls for 38 deg at 7am with a 10 MPH Northwind, increasing to 14 as the day progresses. It won't make it to 60.

Being the FLA wimp I've become, I'm going to postone my Bday ride until it warms a little. But the party is still on!!
Old 01-06-10, 02:10 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
42 miles is equal to 67.5 kilometers. You rode your metric age plus almost 10K more. I'd say you did well. Happy Birthday and hope your knee recovers quickly.
Old 01-06-10, 02:12 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Is it warm anywhere in the US right now???
Old 01-06-10, 02:35 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I should think some parts are warmer than here

Trouble with January birthdays is the weather. I have ridden my age on my birthday occasionally but high winds- rain- work and this year snow, have meant that My age ride gets done on a suitable day.

Now got to the age this year where a metric won't count any longer so it looks as though it will have to be a separate ride. Before I have managed to do an organised metric or 4 and count that as my ride.

That's the trouble with maturity- Means you have to ride more.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-06-10, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Ouch! I hope that knee is okay.

Under the circumstances, I think you should be allowed to tack on the remaining miles after the knee heals.
Old 01-06-10, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First off, Happy Birthday! I'm sorry that you fell but I'm glad you weren't seriously injured in the fall. I hope the knee improves quickly. I've got to order some strapless toe clips from Amazon. I find that riding with boots on I sometimes have my foot forward on the pedal just enough that I can clip the front fender on a turn. I figure that the toe clip is good insurance to keep my foot properly positioned. As for your birthday being in January, remember celebrating a birthday is better than the alternative.
Old 01-06-10, 03:30 PM

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
According to my Yahoo weather widget, Honolulu is at 80F at the moment; San Diego is at 66 - sounds good compared to the current 24 in Cincinnati, and we're a LOT warmer than those the the west and/or northwest of us!
- Bob
Old 01-06-10, 03:42 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
It's mid-60s and sunny here at the moment. They're predicting low 70s and more sun this weekend. (Hey, you asked)

Last edited by CACycling; 01-06-10 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 04:02 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
It sort of gets warm about 8 am here.

About 20 mph winds last few days.
Old 01-06-10, 04:23 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Happy birthday.

The Foul Weather Emergency Cycling Act of 1933 allows you to ride your age on a day of your choosing within the same calendar year. Next year, however, you may want to consider celebrating in a warm weather climate.
Old 01-06-10, 04:58 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOS88, first of all Happy Birthday, I would use the Foul Weather Emergency Cycling Act of 1933 that gcottay mentioned. Thank goodness my birthday is in Sept. so I don't have to worry about the cold and ice. Hope you are not to sore
Old 01-06-10, 05:19 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Hope the knee heals 100% and asap! I took that type of fall 3 weeks ago and I'm still avoiding ICE, even if it means using the sidewalk! 42 miles in those conditions ain't to shabby my friend!

Old 01-06-10, 06:49 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
Took a half day from work today so I could ride my age. Unfortunately, 20 degree weather, 18- 30 mph wind gusts, some dubious planning, and a rather surprising accident kept me from the planned 58 miles. I knew it would be a difficult ride (at least the first half) since I was riding into a pretty stiff headwind, and for a reason I can't now fathom, I thought I'd load the commuter with 58 lbs of gear to 'double' mark the event. I was planning a simple out and back route. About 3/4of the way out, I was headed around a very sharp icy incline and clipped the front wheel/fender with my right foot. I had totally forgotten that I had put slightly larger fenders on the bike to accommodate the studded tires. I went down pretty hard, and must have slid 30 yards on the ice. No damage to the bike. Only minor damage to my ego, a few bruises (thank heavens for the additional padding extra layers provide) and a somewhat swollen right knee. It was the quickness with which the knee swelled that told me I needed to turn tail and head back home. So, I did get in 42 miles.

I'm wondering if it will still count if I ride my age at the mid-way point in July? I'm sitting at my desk typing this with an ice pack on my knee and thinking that birthdays in January suck.
42 miles done sub freezing is as good as 84 miles - in my book you passed the test.
Happy Birthday and I hope the knee turns out OK.
Old 01-06-10, 07:52 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
It's mid-60s and sunny here at the moment. They're predicting low 70s and more sun this weekend. (Hey, you asked)
I believe he was looking for warm, not oppresive heat!!

Happy Birthday NOS88. 42 miles in this crap makes you either Super Biker Guy, or nuts....either rate that's an impressive ride (and I live in this stuff).

We saw the sky here briefly this afternoon for the first time since mid-day Saturday. Even the grey clouds look good after one has endured several days of non-stop snow flurries. Lake Effect Snow is really something!

Oh well. The plows are out, the road salt is starting to work. Should be back on two wheels in a day or so myself (I'm a wimp-I've seen other's tracks every day).

Hope you heal quickly! I've always been under the impression that a B-Day ride needs to occur during said birthday year. You've got 359 more days to squeeze in your 58 miler.
Old 01-06-10, 09:09 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Birthday and I hope the knee heals quickly.

My birthday is also in January and I never plan to ride my age until June or July

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-06-10, 09:47 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
......birthdays in January suck.
The whole month of January sucks unless you can afford a Caribbean cruise.

Not to quibble, but who says that you have to do your birthday ride in your birthday month?

In July you'll be 58.5 years old. Do 58.5 miles and all will be well.
Old 01-06-10, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Happy Birthday. Certainly, you get an A for effort. 42 miles in those conditions is quite an accomplishment. Heal quickly, my friend.
Old 01-06-10, 10:49 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
NOS - Happy birthday! 42 miles in 20 degree weather is a lot. When it's under 30 degrees, I think instead of "riding your age" the goal is to "ride the temperature." If you can ride 20 miles at 20 degree, or 10 miles at 10 degrees, or 30 miles at 30 degrees, you're doing good. So you rode "double the temperature," which seems like a lot!

As for this --
We're having a nice stretch in Seattle right now. Rainy Monday, but the rest of the week is (or is forecast to be) clear and/or very light rain, and about 45 to 50 degrees. Pretty decent commuting weather for January.
Old 01-07-10, 05:04 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and for a reason I can't now fathom, I thought I'd load the commuter with 58 lbs of gear to 'double' mark the event. .
First and I hope the knee isn't too bad and heals well.

Second...I heard the mind is the first thing to go...please leave the 58lbs of stuff off next time. Sometimes plans sound good on paper but in the real world they suck.
Old 01-07-10, 07:03 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32
First and I hope the knee isn't too bad and heals well.

Second...I heard the mind is the first thing to go...please leave the 58lbs of stuff off next time. Sometimes plans sound good on paper but in the real world they suck.
Yeah, not my smartest idea. I actually ended up strapping down a 10 lb and a 5 lb plate from the free weight set with bungee cords to my already loaded camping gear to get weight up to 58 lbs. Sometimes I think that maybe my mother did raise at least one "not so bright lad". However, in my own defense I was thinking that each year it gets a bit harder to try and stay fit, eat right, and generally do the things I know I should be doing. In my over the top determination I was attempting to reinforce the idea that I'm not afraid of or deterred by something just because it's hard. My oldest son, after hearing of the fall made an observation. He said, that I went down because I didn't evenly distribute the 10 and 5 lb weights. My youngest son made slightly different observation: "No, his thinking was off because he needs to remember to loosen this bike helmet straps with that thick balaclava he wears underneath to keep warm. Cutting off the flow of blood to the brain is never leads to good ideas." Needless to say dinner with the family was as it usually is, free wheeling fun and talk. All it all it was still a good birthday.

Thanks for the birthday and recovery wishes folks. The knee isn't too bad this morning. I think I'll be good to go in a day or two.
Old 01-07-10, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts
Good going! I hope you heal quickly so as not to miss too much of the winter cycling season. Anyhow, I'm really impressed, particularly as I don't think I've ever ridden more than my ten miles to work. Next time you decide to carry 58 pounds, use a trailer -- I've found that the bike is pretty twitchy with a load like that. A four mile ride with 58 pounds of groceries gets me pretty tired -- I can't begin to imagine 42 miles. Your "failure" is ten times what I do. Personally, I consider any ride with at least 50 pounds of cargo a long ride, regardless of distance.

Paul
Old 01-07-10, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
So lets see: You're attempting a 58 mile ride packing 58 pounds of crap that you don't need in 20 degree weather with wind gusts to 30 mph.

Are you trying to prove to everybody that your IQ is also 58? I'm thinking that ride would be more appropriately done when the temperature was 58.
Old 01-07-10, 08:41 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So lets see: You're attempting a 58 mile ride packing 58 pounds of crap that you don't need in 20 degree weather with wind gusts to 30 mph.

Are you trying to prove to everybody that your IQ is also 58? I'm thinking that ride would be more appropriately done when the temperature was 58.
I think you're on to something.... maybe even do it with 58 other people! So, you want to be the first one to sign on?
Old 01-07-10, 09:07 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,461 Posts
I am glad your knee feels better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.