Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Running for Cross Training

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In addition to the passion of cycling, does anyone on here also run, as another avenue of fitness? What are your experiences with the cross training benefits? In addition to cycling, I'm training to run my first marathon on Oct 17, 2010.
Old 02-12-10, 08:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
You obviously don't understand - cycling is for people who used to run. Running is an excellent way to hurt yourself and set your cycling fitness back 6 months.
Old 02-12-10, 08:31 PM
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Running is not a good cross-training method for cyclists.

If you run more your cycling power will drop, just a warning!
Old 02-12-10, 09:10 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I started riding back in olden times when cyclists didn't run and runners didn't ride bikes.
Old 02-12-10, 09:21 PM

Bikes: 2002 Trek 7300; 2004 Trek 1000; 2007 Trek pilot 5.0; 2008 Trek 1500; 1997 Bianchi Alloro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
You obviously don't understand - cycling is for people who used to run. Running is an excellent way to hurt yourself and set your cycling fitness back 6 months.
nah, that's not true. for those of us that are in the northern regions, runnning is a great alternative to cycling during the winter - especially when snow and ice make cycling treacherous. while some folks like using the trainer inside during less than ideal conditions, i can't stand it. no fun for me.

i cycle all winter long outdoors when i can - during daylight hours. if the sun sets before i can cycle, it's definitely a run for me. i find that mixing it up with running helps my cycling tremendously. it also preps me for cyclocross ;~). now that's fun!

obviously true that running has more potential to cause injury. but with proper preparation, WELL FITTED SHOES (get this done by a pro at a running shoe store and don't penny pinch) and good technique it can be a very rewarding activity.
Old 02-12-10, 09:37 PM
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A side note, running in bare feet is the most joint friendly way apparently... makes sense, though not in sub zero conditions and you need to toughen the feet up first.

I only warm about power since i read running lengthens your hip flexors and short hip flexors are advantageous to cyclists, though can cause back pain...
Old 02-12-10, 10:50 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been a snowy cold (for us) winter here and I've gotten a few runs in each week as a way to maintain some fitness. I've completely given up on the trainer for the bike. Too many years of doing that over the winter that I've finally rebelled. I just won't do it anymore. So running is the next best alternative where I live. I think my downfall with the trainer began one Superbowl a few years ago. 4 hours on that torture device broke me for good. After that it was all I could do to stay on it for an hour. I ride for fun now, the trainer is not fun. End of rant.
Old 02-13-10, 02:28 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
A lot of us want to stay fit but have chosen cycling as the chosen form in preference to running. I used to run but many years of pounding the streets training and my knees are shot. I no longer run anywhere as I can't but plenty of milage on the bikes to stay fit. But if you can take it- then keep doing it but do have a bit more sense that attempting to do a Marathon. That will hurt.

When I had an angiogram- the Doc asked me if it was swimming or cycling that I did. When I asked why he said that he can always tell a serious swimmer of cyclist due to how clear the Aorta was. Seeing as how mine was clear- I either had to be a cyclist or a swimmer. Those two sports had the cardio vascular effect to keep the heart in good condition.

But whatever "Extra" sport you do will help. Just watch out for the knees and hips.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-13-10, 10:42 AM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Running is good cross training, and if you throw in wind-sprints, can help with your sprinting on your bike. I just discussed similar to this with my orthopedist and he said that I should definitely do walking/running with my exercise program as this puts weight on your bones and helps with the calcification process as we are not getting the same weight bearing on our bones riding as we do when we walk/run.
Old 02-13-10, 12:44 PM
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did triathlons for 25 years-- then switched to mainly cycling--and put on weight. I have found that running is the way I can keep the weight off. Cycling alone doesn't do it-- and I am averaging over 6000 miles a year cycling.

So, go ahead and run, but listen to what was written above--good shoes and don't overdo it. I will also throw something at you that a friend of mine said-- If you are trained for a fall marathon, you can do the JFK50--a fifty mile run in November. The key is pace--and walk up the hills.

but seriously, build up slowly-- and I mean get yourself to where you are comfortable running 10 miles as your long run. Then, in May start adding 1 mile to your long run every two weeks. That will build you up slowly to 20 miles. If you can run 20 miles in training, you can finish your marathon-

best of luck-

train safe-
Old 02-13-10, 04:07 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My knees can't take running. I've met quite a few people who took up cycling after their knees wore out from running. But I've also met many people who are active in both cycling and running.
Old 02-13-10, 04:33 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
For those who have bad knees, the alternative to running is hiking. Provided that your area has good hiking trails with plenty of steep hills, its a good workout. Here in So Calif we're surrounded by mountains. For day hikes, the trail shoes are fine. For backpacks that are loaded with camping gear, the hiking boots give you more support.