Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Endless Debate about 3 versus 2

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The Endless Debate about 3 versus 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 11:15 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
You would need to check, but the smaller BCD may actually be the same as a MTB crank, so it may still result in fewer different parts.
The compact road double is a straight 110mm

The MTB compact crank (not so often used any more) is a 110/74 triple. This bolt circle is sometimes used for a compact touring triple.

The more common MTB crank is a 104/64 triple. This also comes in a touring triple form with 26/36/48 rings. (still sold in the Shimano MTB ranges)

I believe that you can find a couple of inexpensive compact road cranks made with 110/blanked out 74 bosses, but most are machined to a more sophisticated standard than that.

Here's a reasonably complete list (not up to date with some of the newer more exotic MTB bolt circles.

Track 144 BCD (Gebhardt)
Road double 130 BCD (Shimano, Gebhardt and others), or 135 (Campagnolo)
Road triple 130/74 BCD (Shimano and others), or 135/74 BCD (Campagnolo)
Compact/touring double 110 BCD or (Campagnolo carbon 4×110/1×113 BCD, Gebhardt)
Compact/touring triple 110/74 BCD
Mountain bike (4 arm)104/64 BCD(Gebhardt)
Mountain bike (5 arm standard) 110/74 BCD
Mountain bike (5 arm compact) 94/58 BCD
Old 04-21-10, 11:28 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You would need to check, but the smaller BCD may actually be the same as a MTB crank, so it may still result in fewer different parts.
The "Compact" standard MTB cranks have a smaller BCD than the Road Compact crank but the older "ATB"- as they were termed over here- have the same BCD as the Road Compact. I say older but have noticed that Deore and XT are offered with the larger BCD and there may be others.

The Compact MTB generaly uses rings of 44/32/22. The ATB will have something like 48/36/26 fitted although down to 24 is possible for granny and a 34 is available for the middle ring. My ATB as fitted on the Tandem has 48/36/24 crankrings and is used with a 9 spd 11/32 cassette. And that thing will not climb a wall offroad but we cannot fit a granny lower than a 24- or a middle ring lower than 34. And we bend 12/34 cassettes.

But then there is the new double crankset in 10 speed that is coming available for MTB's and I have no idea what BCD they are.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-21-10, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
I just switched to a compact double 10s from a std triple (30,42,52) 7s and I got to say I like the change. It works well enough for me in my area on the woods on the hills we have or I travel to and I get a nice tight cruising range on the 10s cassette. I can go a little lower with a cassette swap if needed or higher depending on where I might ride. I liked the triple but I didn't like the 30-42 jump on the 10 speed and couldn't get a 39 to work using the triple front der. I certainly didn't like the gearing I got from the triple with the 10s rear either. It didn't give me enough options in the inch gears I ride in. The compact did. The compact swap also cleaned up the chain line so that it was usable and not overly wearing my rings like the triple did. That said I don't think it is for everyone and if i lived somewhere hilly I would definitely swap it it out for lower triple. It all depends on where you ride, how you ride and your conditioning.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 04-21-10, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had both the triple and a compact double and I prefer the double. Triple just doesn't shift that well. My compact is Ultegra 50/34 with an 11-28 cassette, I have a rain bike that has a compact 50/34 with a standard 12-27 cassette. Both work great. Just so you know I live in San Francisco and ride around the hills of Marin, not uncommon to do 3000 to 4500 ft of climbing on a 50 mile ride.
My friend Bill has a triple an swears by it so I think it's a matter of personal preference.
Old 04-21-10, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE One thing to note, you can treat a triple as a double, you can't treat a double as a triple.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. I started out, at age 52, with a Trek 5200 with 39/52 and 12/23 gearing. I soon realized that this was not gonna do it for me on the climbing rides I wanted to do. I first tried a compact 34/50 and ultimately went to a triple 30/39/52 with 12/27, the widest gear range you can get with ultegra components. This solved the climbing issues.

After 4 years of pretty serious riding, I'm better, and 90% of the time, I just treat the triple as a double. On rare occasions, and climbs over about 8%, I'll use the extra ring on the triple. Two reasons: (1) lower gears if I need them, and sadly, my knees are telling me that I do, (2) less cross chaining. 30/21 is in the center of the rear cog and almost identical in gear ratio to 39/27, but nicer to pedal. Up to about 6%, that's my standard climbing gear.

The "triples weigh more" always makes me laugh. ANYONE can diet off the 1/4 lb weight difference.
Old 04-21-10, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
I just switched to a compact double 10s from a std triple (30,42,52) 7s and I got to say I like the change. It works well enough for me in my area on the woods on the hills we have or I travel to and I get a nice tight cruising range on the 10s cassette. I can go a little lower with a cassette swap if needed or higher depending on where I might ride. I liked the triple but I didn't like the 30-42 jump on the 10 speed and couldn't get a 39 to work using the triple front der. I certainly didn't like the gearing I got from the triple with the 10s rear either. It didn't give me enough options in the inch gears I ride in. The compact did. The compact swap also cleaned up the chain line so that it was usable and not overly wearing my rings like the triple did. That said I don't think it is for everyone and if i lived somewhere hilly I would definitely swap it it out for lower triple. It all depends on where you ride, how you ride and your conditioning.
You may be onto something here, the crank and the cassette need to match. Maybe a compact double with a wider cassette could work as well as a triple with a narrower cassette, for example if you have a cassette that is say 12-27 and have a 30/39/50 crank. You switch to a 34/50 crank and switch the cassette for a 12-31
would it work as well, hmm lets see. A 27 tooth cassette and a 30 tooth chainring is 29.3 gear inches with a 700c wheel and a 25mm tire. A 31 tooth cassette gear and a 34 tooth chainring is 28.9 gear inches, so actually slightly lower. These numbers come from Sheldon Browns Gear Calculator. You could accomplish this by using more 2 and 3 tooth jumps.

For touring, I would still want a triple.
Old 04-21-10, 08:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Elite, Trek FX7300 hybrid, Trek 6500 mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "triples weigh more" always makes me laugh. ANYONE can diet off the 1/4 lb weight difference.
I was just thinking about that today while I was mounting my new pump and top tube bag so I can carry my cell phone and small digital camera. Then there's the new bottle cage I need to add so I can carry my new small thermos with coffee.

Jim
Old 04-21-10, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Instead of a triple, just buy a small sports car like I did. A used Mazda Miata cost about the same (probably less...) than my road bikes, and my wife can ride with me. No, I don't sit up nearly as high as I do on my bikes, but it's a trade off that I'm willing to accept. The short throw shifter is far smoother than either my DA or SRAM shifters, and the bento box-like trunk comes in handy if I want to take along a snack. I don't know the gear ratios, but I'm sure several of you guys will post a chart. And if you drive one too, please, please, don't flip your freakin' lights at me or expect me to wave. And yes, I DO notice an additional 1/4 lb weight difference when I drive it. Unless I shut off the AC.
Old 04-22-10, 06:12 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckb
Bingo. I started out, at age 52, with a Trek 5200 with 39/52 and 12/23 gearing. I soon realized that this was not gonna do it for me on the climbing rides I wanted to do. I first tried a compact 34/50 and ultimately went to a triple 30/39/52 with 12/27, the widest gear range you can get with ultegra components. This solved the climbing issues.

After 4 years of pretty serious riding, I'm better, and 90% of the time, I just treat the triple as a double. On rare occasions, and climbs over about 8%, I'll use the extra ring on the triple. Two reasons: (1) lower gears if I need them, and sadly, my knees are telling me that I do, (2) less cross chaining. 30/21 is in the center of the rear cog and almost identical in gear ratio to 39/27, but nicer to pedal. Up to about 6%, that's my standard climbing gear.

Actually you don't need to diet to lose 1/4lb, just make use of a bathroom. The lowest number I could find for the urge to purge is about 150ml, which should weight a little over 150g (the actual weight varies a little, pure water weighs 1g per ml) or just under 1/3lbs. Of course doing a #2 should be good for a pound at least. This is why the best time to weigh yourself is in the morning, after you go, but before you eat or drink. The best day, is Friday, because your likely to have your lowest weight then, after being "good" all week, before you get into the PIE on the weekend.

Last edited by Wogster; 04-22-10 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Quoting didn't work right
Old 04-22-10, 11:34 AM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You may be onto something here, the crank and the cassette need to match. Maybe a compact double with a wider cassette could work as well as a triple with a narrower cassette, for example if you have a cassette that is say 12-27 and have a 30/39/50 crank. You switch to a 34/50 crank and switch the cassette for a 12-31
would it work as well, hmm lets see. A 27 tooth cassette and a 30 tooth chainring is 29.3 gear inches with a 700c wheel and a 25mm tire. A 31 tooth cassette gear and a 34 tooth chainring is 28.9 gear inches, so actually slightly lower. These numbers come from Sheldon Browns Gear Calculator. You could accomplish this by using more 2 and 3 tooth jumps.

For touring, I would still want a triple.
I ride my local hills and on an average ride I will take in 3 or 4 hills with about 2,500ft of climbing. Each hill is between 10 and 12% and I can do this comfortably on the compact double with a 12/27 cassette. BUT- If I go out for a longer ride- with extra Climbing then I will use the triple 50/39/30 and still with the 12/27 cassette.

Then there is the basket of .7 of a mile at 16%. With training I can do it on the compact- but not at this time of year.

Up to a point- lower gears are not necessary for me for the degree of slope. What does get me though is extra hills or the same hills with longer milage. I no longer have the stamina that I used to have.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-23-10, 08:17 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Adding to the options available, Shimano has just announced new XT and SLX 10-speed MTB groups. https://www.singlecrown.com/index.php...sys-xt-and-slx

Presumably, a Shimano 10-speed equipped road bike can now add one of these new rear derailleurs and cassettes and get a wider gear range. The cassettes come in 11-34 and 11-36 versions.
Old 04-23-10, 11:42 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand why there is a debate. I have both a compact double and a triple. I like the compact double for my current situation in Houston where I never use the small chain-ring. Somebody suggested I would be happier with a regular double. Maybe - but a standard double wasn't available on the bike I wanted. Although I am fairly strong I most likely could not spin a 90 cadence on the flats with the tallest gearing on a standard double. The 50 tooth chain-ring is big enough for me on the flats. I could use taller gearing if I had some nice downhills.

If people are happy with their triples - that is great, but I should not be begrudged for my selection of a compact double. I do find it shifts better than the triple with the longer cage. I rode the same road bike with a triple before I bought the compact double. I don't know that the difference in shifting would sway me away from buying a triple if I lived in Tulsa where they have steep grades on long hills. I am fairly strong but would probably find that the compact double was not low enough for some of the hills I used to ride when I lived in Tulsa. I loved my triple when I lived there.

I also lived in Porto Alegre in Brazil. they have some nice hills there also. I could get my hybrid (that I still own) up to 45 mph on some of the downhills with the triple and used the small chain-ring on some of the climbs.

I never owned a double in the last twenty years and was somewhat skeptical about buying a bike with a double. My skepticism has now vanished. I would also never question anybody's wisdom for buying a triple or a standard double.

Last edited by gtragitt; 04-23-10 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-23-10, 12:07 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by gtragitt
I don't understand why there is a debate.
+1
Many options exist. Choose the one that works for you. In fact, thanks to N+1, you don't even have to choose just one. Different bikes for different purposes or different moods can have different setups. 3, 2 or 1 chainring; 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 2 or 1 rear cog (maybe with 3, 7 or 8 internal ratios). It's all good.
Old 04-25-10, 11:01 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
The "3 versus 2" debate was pretty much over by 1907-1908, although a few "2s" have appeared from time to time since.

tcs
Old 04-25-10, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
On my last bike purchase, one of my challenges was either finding a bike that had a triple or a shop that was willing to convert the bike to a triple without charging an arm and a leg for it.

I had people telling me:

"Oh, you don't need a triple. Just get a compact double."

Shop after shop said the same thing. Essentially, that even after 20+ years of cycling 10,000 miles a year, some snot nosed kid knew what suited me better than I did. I finally settled on a response:

"Listen now. When you do rides that have you going 200 miles and climbing 15,000+ feet ... when they send you off on a 16-18% grade after riding 175 miles into nasty headwinds at 100+ degrees ... when you do all that that and you're my age ... THEN you can talk smack about how I don't need a triple. Ride a couple hundred miles in my bike shoes first."

Fact: I have NEVER ... repeat ... NEVER done a ride where I thought. "Oh ... that was a great ride, but it would have been so much better without the bewildering complexity and extra weight of a triple." Nor have I ever thought ... "Gee ... the gears in my triple drivetrain are just too low." On the other hand, I have ridden doubles and thought that the lowest gear was not low enough and I've ridden compact doubles combined with big cassettes and thought the spacing was too wide.

I'm sure Jim means well, but he ain't no Sheldon Brown.
I love people like that. I look them straight in the eye and tell them that all people need is the right pair of running shoes and more training to run a 3 hour marathon. Most can't make the connection between the two.
Old 04-25-10, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Just to add facts to the discussion, here's a honkin' big chart I made comparing my compact, my wife's triple, and a compact I'm considering doing.

Change the biggest rear cog to a 34 on the 52/42/30 chainrings, and see what the gear inches look like. At 60 rpm, you'd be spinning up a hill at 4.2 mph, and at 80 rpm, you're going 5.5 mph.
Old 05-03-10, 10:32 PM
Who took all the oxygen?

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a n00b who's sorta new to this site, I find myself merely using the middle gear in the front and pretty much all the gears in the back. I've thought that I'd be just fine with only 2 in the front, instead of three.

I mean, looking at this issue from the 50,000 foot level, does one really need 30 speeds on a bike, or is 20 speeds enough? I dunno....
Old 05-04-10, 04:46 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by alcanoe
Actually, I liked double shifting. In the old days of 5/6 cogs you could custom order your cogs. I would plot the ratios on log paper (a lot of folks did this in the '70s) to eliminate gaps and chose the two big rings two require two shifts to get to every other contiguous ratio. It was called two-step gearing (I think). That was an answer to the stupid Alpine gearing that bikes came with and nobody in his right mind would ride in the Alps. I used bar-end shifters, but went back to down-tube for crisper shifts.

With STI, how can anybody hate double-shifting? It's just a flick of the wrist.

That's the fundamental problem with road biking for me; it's so boring that one tends to focus on the trivia. I've been 98% single-track mountain biking for the lat 5 years. The mental challenge alone keeps one focused on the biking. I do a lot of double shifting and it's a lot trickier than road with STI. It's actually a skill to go from the middle to the small ring on a steep climb with out chain suck.

Al
It sounds like what you are calling two-step is the same as the oft-discussed half-step. What you called an Alpine is close to what we get today with a 50/34 compact, just now with 9's and 10's we can get smaller steps for a given chainring, or more range overall.
Old 05-04-10, 05:37 AM
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
My commuter runs a classic double, my "fun bike" an FSA triple. I have pretty much the same ranges available to me with the top two rings on the "fun bike" (with 2 more shifts at the "low end" and less overlap than the commuter.)

I rarely use the low chainring on the triple, but those few trimes I need it, I'm glad I have it. What's the point of a "fun bike" if it's a b&*^% to climb with?
Old 05-04-10, 07:58 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Lobby
As a n00b who's sorta new to this site, I find myself merely using the middle gear in the front and pretty much all the gears in the back. I've thought that I'd be just fine with only 2 in the front, instead of three.

I mean, looking at this issue from the 50,000 foot level, does one really need 30 speeds on a bike, or is 20 speeds enough? I dunno....
What you will find is that half of the gears you now use on the middle ring will be on the big ring of a compact double and half will be on the small ring.
Old 05-04-10, 11:54 AM

Bikes: centurions (lemans and sports dlx both 1981)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
which gear ????

when i pedal the bike moves forward. do i need to know more? i have a schwinn, the front is 48,38,28 the back is 11,14,17,21,24,28. i used the 28 on the front once to see what it was like. mostly snapped my knee off cuz it pedaled so easy. so i just do the middle and the big one on the front use most of the back for hills and downhills. even with 48/11 on the downhills i can only hit 26 mph on a downhill, although i did 28.5 on the same downhill with a tailwind the other day. and i almost never even notice the entire extra 1/4 pound of the chainring i almost never use. and yet with all this, when i pedal the bike moves forward. who knew?
Old 05-04-10, 12:38 PM
Who took all the oxygen?

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
What you will find is that half of the gears you now use on the middle ring will be on the big ring of a compact double and half will be on the small ring.
So if I went with a compact double, I'd be shifting more than I am now? Therefore a triple would be better for me?
Old 05-04-10, 02:28 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lobby
So if I went with a compact double, I'd be shifting more than I am now? Therefore a triple would be better for me?
I find I change less on the compact than on the triple. On the flat and I will stay in the big ring. When gravity goes the wrong way and severely- then I use the small ring. For a flat ride with undulations it will still be the big ring and even short sharp rises on a flat ride and I will stay in the big ring and "Crosschain" but put more effort in rather than change down.

But all you have to think about is the rear cassette. Compact and I need the 27 on the cassette. With the triple I can get away with a 25 and possibly even a 23 as the lowest gear.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-04-10, 06:47 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Settled... I just received a new SRAM S900 crankset https://www.sram.com/node/103/brand/sram-road/src/cat with Quarq cinqo power meter and D/A chainrings 54/44. This is going on my TT bike. I took that D/A rings off my old crankset and shipped them to Quarq. They mounted them on the new S900 crankset and calibrated and tested the power meter. In addition, I have the new 53/39 rings that come standard with the S900. Quarq set up the power meter so I could use either set of chainrings.

Old 05-04-10, 07:06 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
So much fuss over a spare chainring. Compact double?? What's that supposed to be? I realized 30 years ago that I had high gears I never or rarely used. So I just bought a chainring or two and presto! a 48-36. It was recently changed to a 48-34. (I ain't sayin' what's on the rear.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.