Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

trek Navigator Riders?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

trek Navigator Riders?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trek Navigator Riders?

Hello, I am looking at a Trek Nav for my recreational street and paved trail riding. Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with this bike. 6'0" 270 would tyhis be an ok bike for me. I have seen them and like the design. Any info or help would be appreciated. Thanks, bcircus
Old 04-11-10, 06:25 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Where are you located? Navigators are fairly heavy duty comfort bikes. Well suited for recreational MUPs, and neighborhood streets.
Old 04-12-10, 07:50 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bcircus
Hello, I am looking at a Trek Nav for my recreational street and paved trail riding. Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with this bike. 6'0" 270 would tyhis be an ok bike for me. I have seen them and like the design. Any info or help would be appreciated. Thanks, bcircus
Hello,
Have you considered a hybrid which still allows upright riding but has thinner tires which a are 700 CC rather than 26"?
You may find these more enjoyable.

Just a thought.
Best regards
Old 04-12-10, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Here is an example:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...h/hybrid/7100/

While on the web site also look at the Trek FX series.
Best regards
Old 04-12-10, 08:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcircus
My wife and I have Trek Navigators purchased in late 2004. We use them for rough gravel and dirt trails now.
We also ride a pair of hybrids. Mine is a Trek Mulitrack and hers is a Raleigh Detour.

Comparing my Navigator to the Multitrack. On the Multitrack I am more hunched over. A bit tougher on the wrists on long rides. With the Navigator more of my weight goes on the seat and not the wrists.
On asphalt surfaces I don't see a lot of difference between the two types of bikes. Each bike has low rolling resistance tires so I don't see a lot of difference in how much effort goes in pedaling.

Our Trek Navigators now have close to 8,000 miles on each one. Replaced chains and cassettes as required. Otherwise totally trouble free. The local bike shop fitted us up on the proper frame size. With a good seat and padded shorts we do 40 to 60 mile rides with ease and we are 68 years old.
Old 04-13-10, 04:17 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When riding rail trails, the most popular bike I see are Trek Navigators. I've chatted with several people who ride them and they almost always heap tons of praise on them. Typically I hear comments like, "I used to ride often but over time found it increasingly uncomfortable and quit riding, then I stumbled upon a Navigator in a Trek store and loved. Now I ride frequently." I hear stories like this over and over again.
Old 04-13-10, 07:00 PM

Bikes: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by flan48
Hello,
Have you considered a hybrid which still allows upright riding but has thinner tires which a are 700 CC rather than 26"?
You may find these more enjoyable.

Just a thought.
Best regards
I am going just the opposite of that route,i found the FX not that suitable for my shape(physical),i like the more upright position of the Navigator and the supensions,i am not looking for speed,just want to ride in comfort, i am looking at the 3.0 model and rode it and like it.
Old 04-14-10, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is no endorsement or negative on the Navigator but maybe an interesting story. Buddie gave me a Navigator frame and assorted parts in exchange for an old steel road frame(Sears) that did not fit me. After we made the trade, he said oh by the way that bike was owned by my neighbor who died while riding it! Guy was on the rail to trail doa before he hit the ground, stroke.

The frame has been in my garage for several years. Every time I think about fixing it up I get spooked.
Old 04-14-10, 10:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has a 2010 Navigator. She has never really been a bicycle enthusiast, but married one in spite of my addictions. She loves her Navigator, but her riding is mostly confined to the neighborhood and area bike paths. Of course living at the beach, there are plenty of places for her to ride.

As stated above, it is a bit heavy, but for her it was perfect. Our LBS has a small fleet of Navigators they use for rentals, and tell me they are a very durable bike and sell quite a few of them to people who rented one first. (as a beach resort community it is a perfect rental)

The Trek Navigator is a quality built bicycle that is designed more for pleasure riding, but hey isn't they why we all ride. The question to ask is, Does it fit the type of riding you want to do. Of course if down the road you decide you want to do more than cruise on the bike paths, you can always add a second bike. (I would bet most people on here have more than one bike) What ever you decide to get, enjoy the ride and welcome to the cycling community.
Old 04-19-10, 06:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto the positive comments on the Navigators. It is extremely comfortable, really truly not THAT heavy and with the raised handlebars it takes pressure off your wrists and shoulders. I met a fellow the other day that bought a Navigator a number of years ago, sold his car and has not looked back. He lives/commutes/shops etc on that bike. It has a LOT (like a gazillion or so) miles on it.
Old 04-19-10, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
neighbor of mine has two of them and loves them. Personally i'd prefer a hybrid, which would be better for the kind of riding i do (a simple tire swap turns it into almost-a-roadie), but he's a pretty casual rider who just cruises around with his wife. I sort of sneered when he showed them to me, but I've changed my mind. They're comfortable, stable and they get used, which a hard-core road bike wouldn't.
You might look at something like an Electra Townie, too, a pedals-forward design or whatever they're called.