Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Newbie Learning

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Newbie Learning

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Newbie Learning

Some real milestones in my learning to ride a road bike rather than kicking around the neighborhood on my Huffy. This is my third summer riding and even then I'm not a high mileage rider having only ridden 500 miles since the first of May. But in the past week I've finally learned to drink while riding. Also, gained confidence to be able to get some things out of my jersey pockets. But I still can't blow my nose or change clothing while riding.

So, I'm learning and getting more competent. But there is a long way to go. Thankfully, I have only one competitor; Me.
Old 06-18-10, 12:37 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Latitude65
But I still can't blow my nose
That's what the fuzzy part of the back of your gloves are for...my wife loves running across those on the kitchen table.
Old 06-18-10, 05:13 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But in the past week I've finally learned to drink while riding.
I learned that right off the bat, now you need to learn not to weave after you have two or three.

As far as nose blowing - learn the art of the snot rocket, other bikers will keep their distance and you will breath easy.
Old 06-18-10, 05:22 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
This is my third summer riding and even then I'm not a high mileage rider having only ridden 500 miles since the first of May.
How far do you think you'd have to ride to qualify as a "high mileage rider"?
Old 06-18-10, 06:21 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a lot of issues changing my clothing after a few drinks, I couldn't imagine doing it while riding a bike.

Seriously, the drinking part gets easier, just keep looking up the road and let your hands find the bottle. Changing bottles after the first is empty is made easier when you hold the empty bottle in you teeth, put the full bottle in the front cage, then replace the empty into the back cage.

For the pockets, I have a system where I always put items in the same pocket. My gel flask is always upside down in the right side pocket (be sure to close it after use). Extra fluid bottle will be in the center pocket for weight distribution and food bars, keys and cell phone are in the left pocket. If I have a jacket to take off that will go in the center, if available or even rolled up under my shirt in the front until a stop is made.

Changing clothing while riding is beyond my skill level. One of my fears while racing is that I'll open my shirt and the full length zipper comes unattached.
Old 06-18-10, 06:31 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Two words. "snot rockets"
Old 06-18-10, 07:15 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I can drink while riding but sometimes have to look down to make sure I'm putting the bottle back into the cage and not dropping it on the ground.
All I keep in my back pockets is Hammer Gel or GU. I've tried tearing open a gel packet while riding but always have to stop to gulp the gel.
I'll get it right some day.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-18-10, 10:02 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I have a lot of issues changing my clothing after a few drinks, I couldn't imagine doing it while riding a bike.

Seriously, the drinking part gets easier, just keep looking up the road and let your hands find the bottle. Changing bottles after the first is empty is made easier when you hold the empty bottle in you teeth, put the full bottle in the front cage, then replace the empty into the back cage.

For the pockets, I have a system where I always put items in the same pocket. My gel flask is always upside down in the right side pocket (be sure to close it after use). Extra fluid bottle will be in the center pocket for weight distribution and food bars, keys and cell phone are in the left pocket. If I have a jacket to take off that will go in the center, if available or even rolled up under my shirt in the front until a stop is made.

Changing clothing while riding is beyond my skill level.
One of my fears while racing is that I'll open my shirt and the full length zipper comes unattached.
That is a big problem. You have to have your jersey zipped when you cross the finish line with your arms in the air to show the sponsor's name.
Old 06-18-10, 10:27 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Several of the people I know do 25-30 miles per day during the summer riding season. Others are commuters who ride year round and will do 12,000 miles or more over the year. So, I guess I'd say doing 2000 miles or so during the riding season since I'm not a commuter.
Old 06-18-10, 10:30 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg

Two words. "snot rockets"
Sounds gross. Dare I ask what it is?

(I'm used to wiping on gloves, you don't spend much time outdoors in the winter without doing that, but a "snot rocket?)
Old 06-18-10, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds gross. Dare I ask what it is?

(I'm used to wiping on gloves, you don't spend much time outdoors in the winter without doing that, but a "snot rocket?)
Think block one nostril and blow your nose without a kleenex. Aim is important.
Old 06-18-10, 11:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hankerchief or tissue tucked into the sleeve of the jersey- but they go soggy on a wet ride- then it is gloves.

And 2,000 quality miles after only 3 years********** Not bad. Only thing is- do not try to do the monthly average in one day.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 06-18-10 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-18-10, 12:15 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Snot rocket perfected - I used to blow them over my shoulder. Then I saw a Tour de France rider blow his under his armpit. Eureka! Why didn't I think of that? If you blow a snot rocket first, there's much less to wipe on your glove. Sure it's gross, but you have to do what you have to do.
Old 06-18-10, 03:03 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Springtime allergies with a continually running nose is a lot more fun than snot rockets.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-18-10, 04:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bluesdawg

I am in Milledgeville also, riding when I can which is not often enough. Give me a holler if you can, you could probably show me where to ride as I have been at it for just about 1 yr now.
Greg gkk2001@windstream.net
Old 06-18-10, 07:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Hankerchief or tissue tucked into the sleeve of the jersey- but they go soggy on a wet ride- then it is gloves.

And 2,000 quality miles after only 3 years********** Not bad. Only thing is- do not try to do the monthly average in one day.

The question was what I considered a high mileage rider, not how many miles I expect to ride. At this pace and with the trips on the calendar I will probably be in the 1000 mile range before snow shuts me down and then a few more miles when I ride with Denver at Thanksgiving time.
Old 06-18-10, 07:29 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
I think he's trying to make me feel bad...
Old 06-18-10, 07:29 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
Snot rocket perfected - I used to blow them over my shoulder. Then I saw a Tour de France rider blow his under his armpit. Eureka! Why didn't I think of that? If you blow a snot rocket first, there's much less to wipe on your glove. Sure it's gross, but you have to do what you have to do.
I still prefer to turn the head and blow. When the weather turns just a little bit cold I am a snot rocket maniac. I am nice about it though. When in a pace line I signal I am moving to the side and get as far away from the line as I can, do my business and then jump back in. Of course I always offer to lube the other rider's cassettes
Old 06-18-10, 07:31 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Springtime allergies with a continually running nose is a lot more fun than snot rockets.
Nowhere near as elegant, my man...