Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Offroad on the beast

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Offroad on the beast

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 04:12 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Offroad on the beast

Not often I get out on the Tandem nowadays but the morning was an exception. We have these boot fairs over here where people congregate in a field and sell all their unwanted belongings to others that probably don't want them either. But Ross (Son-in-Law) wanted to go down to our local one and he suggested mountain bikes to get a bit of fun. Two of us going the same place- offroad so out came the Tandem. Pump the tyres to pressure and the first thing to note after 6 months of Road biking and Tyre noise on the ashphalt- second was how slow it was and how much effort required to get it moving.

So down to the Boot fair along a White Trail through Abbots Wood. This is our route out to the hills but we could divert to the Boot fair. This trail holds moisture in the ruts and on the surface so is a bit on the slippery side- but 1st downhill and we went for it. Not fully as Ross used the brakes occasionally. Got a video that is acceptable but riding one handed did make balance on the Beast a bit precarious. Bit boring really ---till the end. Only got to about 30mph which is slow on this trail but 1st time out for Ross and me for a year or so. Common sense took over after a few sideways excursions. The intersesting bit is at the end so sorry about boring you watching a vibrating screen

But that lump at the end- I will have to get a bar mount for the camera. Riding one handed on rough trails is not something I want to do too often. Not unless I manage to get my recovery skills a bit better. That ground looked damp and hard. Got to the Boot Fair and found one reason why the bike was heavy- The brakes were binding. Quick release of Fluid and they were free so looks like I will have to check the Tandem over and give it a service.

Have another similar vid but I won't bore you with this one as it is just a narrower track taken a bit faster- I'll save it for another day.

And while on Videos- Have one from last weekends ride. This was Road ride and took in a lot of short sharp rises. One of which was the Church at Old Heathfield. And it was middway on one of those rises. But got there and I thought I was joining Quasimodo- the bells got through to me.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-20-10, 04:52 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might do better with a helmet mount for that camera. If we see the horizon going across the screen we know you have gone arse over tea cup.
The audio is interesting as well, sounded like fun.
Old 06-20-10, 06:32 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
That looks like fun, but with my arthritis forget it. Thanks for the ride.