Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

More Physical Complaints from DnvrFox - sorry, just spouting off

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-10, 07:09 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Got to share somewhere, sorry it is the 50+ forum, but, seems that at 70+ some things are wearing out or need repair, and where else might I find such sympathetic ears? .

I did not sleep much again last night due to severe continuing pain just above my ankles. In the past several months I have had so many different kinds of complaints, hurts, pains, etc., I have lost count.

I have been doing a variety of physical therapy for a long time now. Currently, I am working with a chiropractor who has previous extensive experience as a sports trainer. I was also working with a physical therapist, who I canceled last week due to her seeming lack of understanding of my problem and a diagnosis that just did not seem to fit with the chiro's diagnosis and the symptoms. She claimed I had an extremely tight hip capsule, but the chiro put me through all the hip capsule tests, and I passed with flying colors.

I have had some improvement, however, but still have extreme pain when I walk, having to bend over to be able to reduce the pain, and when I am trying to sleep. Ended up sleeping in three different places last night trying to find something comfortable. Vicodin does not seem to help a bit. I am also taking Soma and Celebrex and Tylenol. Can't take Ibuprofen because of aspirin therapy.

I went to see my DO this week - of course, he is pissed off that I saw a chiropractor. He diagnosed ITBS and prescribed stretching exercises, which my chiro reinforced with additional exercises.

Yesterday, I mentioned shin splints as a possibility to the chiro, and suggested that we use electro stim therapy on my calves, which actually did reduce the pain a lot for a bit. However, it always comes back. He tested me for shin splints and agreed they may be a possibility, along with some possible stress fractures. I am using a TENS unit at home - first time last night.

I went through a bicycle refit a couple of months ago - and of course, I wonder if the refit has anything to do with this. My chiro wants me to ride one of my other bikes for a bit to see if that makes any difference.

Interestingly, the only thing I can do without pain is ride my bicycle!! But, I wonder if the riding is part of the problem.

This is all overlayed by my diagnosis in November of spondolythesis and stenosis at L-4; L-5. I don't know whether or not any of this is related to the spondolythesis or stenosis. I saw a physiatrist a few months ago who said that most everyone my age has the same thing and to go ride my bike. The Physcial Therapist said it was so common that they don't pay much attention to it, they just treat symptoms.

I am scheduled to see another neurosurgeon Monday, to get a further opinion regarding the spondo and stenosis.

Well, I don't really expect any response. I don't quite know what anyone would say. I am using heat, strengthening, ice, TENS, stretching, and anything else I can think of. But, thanks for listening one more time.

Think I will go for a bike ride on the old clunker!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-14-10 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-14-10, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I hear you, man. I'm actually glad that you chose to share your experience with us.

My physical issues really aren't so bad although I continue to have elbow pain. I did a spinning class on Thursday. There's only a couple of hand positions that I can tolerate but at least I made it through the class.

Mentally, I'm a mess. I'm continuing to have anxiety and depression issues that I'm not working through on my own very well. Mrs. Grouch and I are considering going to Hays, Kansas over Labor Day for a Rans recumbent rally. I'm thinking that maybe an all recumbent enviornment will make it easier for me to sort through my anxiety and I should be able to pick up some recumbent pointers.
Old 08-14-10, 12:55 PM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retro...If you come, welcome to "the land of Ah's". I was working in Great Bend couple years ago and went to Hays to buy my Stratus... And to both of you Dnvr and Retro... hope you can continue to enjoy the ride, however that might be.
Old 08-14-10, 01:02 PM
Banned.

The thing is, I did 26 miles just for fun today. No pain. As soon as I stop, it starts again. I guess there is only one solution. Anyone know how to sleep on a bike while pedaling?
Old 08-14-10, 01:19 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I hear you, man. I'm actually glad that you chose to share your experience with us.

My physical issues really aren't so bad although I continue to have elbow pain. I did a spinning class on Thursday. There's only a couple of hand positions that I can tolerate but at least I made it through the class.

Mentally, I'm a mess. I'm continuing to have anxiety and depression issues that I'm not working through on my own very well. Mrs. Grouch and I are considering going to Hays, Kansas over Labor Day for a Rans recumbent rally. I'm thinking that maybe an all recumbent enviornment will make it easier for me to sort through my anxiety and I should be able to pick up some recumbent pointers.
There is absolutely nothing wrong and everything right about getting some professional assistance. This has really helped my wife -

*alcoholic father who beat up her mother, my wife attacking father to protect mother, and all the related and interrelated family stuff that comes with that as baggage - and it is a lot, believe me.
*raising one child profoundly developmentally delayed since birth
*No 2 son critically and permanently injured on 21st birthday
*Some critical sisterly issues,
***married to me for like - err, I can't exactly remember, but about 46 years.

etc.

The psychologist and psychiatrist were and have been most helpful.
Old 08-14-10, 02:48 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?
Old 08-14-10, 03:18 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Shin Splints. 11 years ago I experienced them after a bike ride. It was after the bypass so probably had 6 months away from serious cycling although I had managed to keep fit. Did the ride- sat on a bench to change shoes and stood up. That pain was bad. Impossible to walk. In fact I had to get on the bike and cycle to the Loo that was only about 100 yards away. Took about 3 days before I could walk without pain.

So if one of your problems is that sort of pain- I do not envy you.

Hopefully the problem will ease down a bit but Till it does- Keep your chin up and get through it.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-14-10, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
DnvrFox,

Sorry to hear you are in pain.

This may be a dumb question...
Are you seeing the right/best type of physician for your situation.

Here's why I ask.
After my last car crash, consulting with my long time PT, she suggested I see a physiatrist.
https://www.aapmr.org/condtreat/what.htm

About Physical Therapists?
I have been to many over the years and I find the "quality" for lack of a better term varies.
Sounds like your justs discharged PT may not be up to the job.
Ask around for a recommend - perhaps your present MD or if you go with a physiatrist?

Best of luck to you DnvrFox!

Jeff, still fat
Old 08-14-10, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by fat biker
DnvrFox,

Sorry to hear you are in pain.

Here's why I ask.
After my last car crash, consulting with my long time PT, she suggested I see a physiatrist.
https://www.aapmr.org/condtreat/what.htm

About Physical Therapists?
I have been to many over the years and I find the "quality" for lack of a better term varies.
Sounds like your justs discharged PT may not be up to the job.
Ask around for a recommend - perhaps your present MD or if you go with a physiatrist?

Best of luck to you DnvrFox!

Jeff, still fat
Ditto re quality of PT's. Also, if you don't get a regular, full body massage, consider doing that too. There are great ones in Boulder. Keep working on things, and let us know how it's going. Complain as necessary.
Old 08-14-10, 04:52 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DF - It pains me that you are suffering. I can't offer you any advice, all I can offer is my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-14-10, 05:54 PM
'47

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many people here seem stainless steel.....cranking out miles, trading experiences. Yet of course we're not. On one hand we admire others' grit but also recognize all the limitations we all share-- or will. I'm sure many are thinking their particular problems aren't so bad looking at others who are coping or attempting to cope with their own challenging difficulties. Indeed, we are all human and its reassuring, if somehow sad, to know we're all mortally in the same boat. FiftyPlus has never really been just about "Cycling". As Bette Davis said, "Growing old ain't for sissies."

Sitting around waiting for the bike crash cracks in my pelvis to heal has made me miss riding more than ever and hope for ever more years on the road.

Gotta catch Zonatandem.

Last edited by '47; 08-14-10 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-14-10, 06:19 PM

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Dnvrfox, How old are you? I recall my when I complained to my Doc my hands hurt with arthritis when I sailed a lot and he said, "you're out there sailing and I'm in here working and what is your problem?

Seriously, it is good to reach out for a solution and not give in. My cousin the DOc says his patients who live longest, live the best are those that don't accept and don't give in. When their aliments do get the best of them they change the rules and don't give in to those rules.

I did goggle your ailments and wickedpedia said something about vagina and spine in one and constricted blood vessel in the other. It is really important you don't give in!
Old 08-14-10, 07:10 PM
'47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=sherbornpeddler;11289844]Dnvrfox, Seriously, it is good to reach out for a solution and not give in. I did goggle your ailments and wickedpedia said something about vagina and spine. QUOTE]

Dnvr....is there something you want to tell us? By this age we've pretty much seen it all....well, maybe now, I guess not all.
Old 08-14-10, 08:34 PM
Banned.

[QUOTE='47;11290007]
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Dnvrfox, Seriously, it is good to reach out for a solution and not give in. I did goggle your ailments and wickedpedia said something about vagina and spine.
Dnvr....is there something you want to tell us? By this age we've pretty much seen it all....well, maybe now, I guess not all.
Can you make a diagram? I don't think I understand. Something I can share with the Doc?
Old 08-15-10, 04:37 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DnvrFox,

I am sorry to hear about all the aches and pains and so hope you can find some sort of relief. I at times have a ache that will disrupt my sleep and do not like that but I am sure it is nowhere near what you have, yikes!

I am no dr. for sure but a few yers back I was on Celebrex and that stuff made my aches worse so I stopped it on my own and the pain went away, well back to normal aches but the Celebrex was a no go for me. I dunno, just sayin'
Old 08-15-10, 05:54 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by fat biker
DnvrFox,

Jeff, still fat

Yes, I have seen a physiatrist, 2 different neurosurgeons, will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon next week, along with my own PCP, a chiropractor, and in the past year three different PT's.

Finding the "right" Doc and support team can be a challenge. In reality, one must take the best of their advice from each and put it together into your own plan of action. They don't agree, and the consumer has to find their own path. And, they are often a bit disconcerted that you have the temerity to see someone else besides them. We carefully research each one prior to going to them, trying to get the best and brightest.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-15-10, 05:58 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh good. A gripe thread!

My back still hurts after more than a week...I've ridden maybe 100 miles all month.

My poor hands, the knuckles are getting all gnarly.

My skin seems to be getting thinner as in no patience for anybody anymore.

Golly, if I wasn't such a hunk my wife would probably leave me for a healthier specimin

In reality I'm not doing too badly. The back has been a problem for years and I'm sure it'll settle down soon.

Dnvr & Retro, I do hope you get things sorted out soon also.
Old 08-15-10, 06:03 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

I can't help but wonder if you might be more relaxed on a LWB single instead of your SWB?

The tandem.....I dunno. My EZ Tandem handles much like my LWB singles do but of course it's not nearly as nice a bike as the Screamer is.
Old 08-15-10, 08:09 AM

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
wickapedia-isms

[QUOTE=DnvrFox;11290343]
Originally Posted by '47

Can you make a diagram? I don't think I understand. Something I can share with the Doc?
DnvrFox, while I was quoting from wikapedia, I was intending to poke fun at myself, a rube and amatuer, at trying to understand true and serious conditions. Wikapedia has good and not so good information but it really gets weird when I apply my layman brain. "Spondylolisthesis describes the anterior displacement of a vertebra or the vertebral column in relation to the vertebrae below. It was first described in 1782 by Belgian obstetrician, Dr. Herbinaux.[1] He reported a bony prominence anterior to the sacrum that obstructed the vagina of a small number of patients....A hangman's fracture is a specific type of spondylolisthesis where the C1 vertebra is displaced ....." You may well find useful information there. I trust you'll use more care and judgement than I did when I posted my comment. I really do wish you well.

Last edited by sherbornpeddler; 08-15-10 at 08:10 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-15-10, 08:19 AM
Banned.

[QUOTE=sherbornpeddler;11291805]
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

DnvrFox, while I was quoting from wikapedia, I was intending to poke fun at myself, a rube and amatuer, at trying to understand true and serious conditions. Wikapedia has good and not so good information but it really gets weird when I apply my layman brain. "Spondylolisthesis describes the anterior displacement of a vertebra or the vertebral column in relation to the vertebrae below. It was first described in 1782 by Belgian obstetrician, Dr. Herbinaux.[1] He reported a bony prominence anterior to the sacrum that obstructed the vagina of a small number of patients....A hangman's fracture is a specific type of spondylolisthesis where the C1 vertebra is displaced ....." You may well find useful information there. I trust you'll use more care and judgement than I did when I posted my comment. I really do wish you well.
Sorry - my response needed a "tongue-in-cheek" smiley. I was joking about the diagram.
Old 08-15-10, 07:07 PM
'47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sherbornpeddler.........I'm the vulture who leapt down from his tree branch with glee when he saw the word "vagina". I'm one of the older residents here, but still have a stubborn streak of junior high school. I need to go find a "regret" smiley.....
Old 08-15-10, 08:57 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
The thing is, I did 26 miles just for fun today. No pain. As soon as I stop, it starts again. I guess there is only one solution. Anyone know how to sleep on a bike while pedaling?
Get a trainer and set it up next to a wall, grab a pillow, and place it between you and the wall.

Despite my lame attempt at being facetious I am sorry for your pain and am glad cycling isn't the cause. We young'uns are looking to folks like you to set the bar. You're so active in so many areas, and so stoic, that if you didn't post I'd think you were just fine and dandy.

Knowing you're human and not 100% and still doing what needs to be done reminds us that life goes on...you do what you need to do despite the ailments. For many people, that's a deal-breaker. Thanks, D-Fox.