Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hacker/virus

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hacker/virus

Old 08-18-10, 04:17 PM
  #1  
zonatandem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 11,016

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Hacker/virus

Hacker/virus invaded our 'puter.
Messages going out in our name for $$.
DO NOT reply and do not send $$.
We are fine and got in a nice tandem toot/brunch this morning!
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Attached Images
File Type: gif
tandem smiley..gif (9.9 KB, 135 views)
zonatandem is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 05:46 PM
  #2  
CACycling
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 4,571

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Same happened to a friend of ours a week ago. His Facebook account sent out a request for donations to all of his contacts.
CACycling is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 07:19 PM
  #3  
Laserman
Senior Member
 
Laserman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 383

Bikes: 15 Specialized Crosstrail, 83 Schwinn Traveller, Fuji Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have a look around Distrowatch.com.
Linux is full featured mature software that runs faster and cleaner than Windows and is completely untroubled by viruses.
I run Fedora but that is a fast changing distribution for intermediate to advanced users.
For newbies I recommend Ubuntu, Linux Mint or PCLinuxOS.

Unless you are one of those old dogs for whom new tricks are impossible you can run Linux and thumb your nose at Bill Gates and his "upgrades".
Laserman is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 07:41 PM
  #4  
Kurt Erlenbach
Senior Member
 
Kurt Erlenbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 2,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get a Mac.
Kurt Erlenbach is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 07:52 PM
  #5  
coldfeet
Senior Member
 
coldfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
Have a look around Distrowatch.com.
Linux is full featured mature software that runs faster and cleaner than Windows and is completely untroubled by viruses.
I run Fedora but that is a fast changing distribution for intermediate to advanced users.
For newbies I recommend Ubuntu, Linux Mint or PCLinuxOS.

Unless you are one of those old dogs for whom new tricks are impossible you can run Linux and thumb your nose at Bill Gates and his "upgrades".
+1

Most of these are available as "Live CD" versions.
That is, you can boot from the CD, and try the Operating system and accompanying software without altering anything on your computer. It will run slow of course, until you install it, but it lets you dabble without risk.

There's even a version you can install as if it is a Windows program. In that case, you are still subject to windows maladies, but it lets you try it at full speed, and you still have your Windows available.
coldfeet is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 08:21 PM
  #6  
gcottay
Senior Member
 
gcottay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Green Valley AZ
Posts: 3,770

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you happen to have an old machine tucked away that was just too slow but still works, you may want to give one of the friendly distros like Ubuntu a try on it. Just don't be too shocked if if the old slow box seems more responsive than your current.
gcottay is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 09:13 PM
  #7  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 16,181

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 213 Posts
ZT, if you do need some funds, I got an email from a very nice seeming fellow in Africa that begins like this:
Hello,
Good day to you, I want to introduce myself to you.I am Mr Stephen Hakeem,the Manager of Auditing and Accounting Section of The United Bank for Africa (U. B. A) Ouagadougou Burkina Faso.

He could probably help you out.
__________________
Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is online now  
Old 08-18-10, 09:33 PM
  #8  
cranky old dude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Something got into my machine last week. Windows wouldn't boot up. The computer guy was unable to rectify the situation and finally he just wiped the hard drive clean and we started all over.

My machine hasn't run this well in years!! Thanks virus/malware dude!!
cranky old dude is offline  
Old 08-19-10, 09:34 PM
  #9  
coldfeet
Senior Member
 
coldfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
Something got into my machine last week. Windows wouldn't boot up. The computer guy was unable to rectify the situation and finally he just wiped the hard drive clean and we started all over.

My machine hasn't run this well in years!! Thanks virus/malware dude!!
Generally, this is a good thing to do with Windows periodically. That is, wipe and re-install. Keep your data files separate, keep all install media for after-market software, or license codes, then every couple years, wipe and start fresh. Windows 7 may be better in this regard, don't know. In the case of a lot of infections, a complete wipe and re-install is the only way to be sure it's gone.
coldfeet is offline  
Old 08-22-10, 09:07 AM
  #10  
Torgrot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lansing, IL
Posts: 246

Bikes: Fuji Grand Fondo 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No wiping a windows machine to start over without any thought is not a good idea. First verify that you have all of the installation CDs/Keys as was mentioned. Then however go into Control Panel/Add Remove programs and start uninstalling your software. A lot of current software Microsoft, Symantec, Mcafee, and Adobe, have a record of how many times you have installed, exceed the magic license number and you need to get a new license. Uninstall first and the number is restored in their sites database. And as always, "Remember that free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, mine included."
Torgrot is offline  
Old 08-22-10, 10:00 AM
  #11  
Laserman
Senior Member
 
Laserman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 383

Bikes: 15 Specialized Crosstrail, 83 Schwinn Traveller, Fuji Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Torgrot View Post
No wiping a windows machine to start over without any thought is not a good idea. First verify that you have all of the installation CDs/Keys as was mentioned. Then however go into Control Panel/Add Remove programs and start uninstalling your software. A lot of current software Microsoft, Symantec, Mcafee, and Adobe, have a record of how many times you have installed, exceed the magic license number and you need to get a new license. Uninstall first and the number is restored in their sites database. And as always, "Remember that free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, mine included."
Wouldn't it be easier to just give Bill another $200?
Laserman is offline  
Old 08-22-10, 08:43 PM
  #12  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 12,262

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 394 Posts
I know it's popular to ping on Bill Gates, but...

ANY operating system can be hacked. Yes, most viruses (virii) are written for Windows. That's not an indication that it's more vulnerable; it's an indication that more virus writers are targeting it. Virus writing these days is all about money; so to make their efforts pay off best, they go after the biggest market. But the other operating systems are still (somewhat smaller) targets, too. I've lost count of how many root kits I've had to remove from PCs (root kits were first developed for Linux.)

The charge of Windows being a resource hog is fair, though...
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 08-24-10, 07:05 PM
  #13  
coldfeet
Senior Member
 
coldfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
I know it's popular to ping on Bill Gates, but...

ANY operating system can be hacked. Yes, most viruses (virii) are written for Windows. That's not an indication that it's more vulnerable; it's an indication that more virus writers are targeting it. Virus writing these days is all about money; so to make their efforts pay off best, they go after the biggest market. But the other operating systems are still (somewhat smaller) targets, too. I've lost count of how many root kits I've had to remove from PCs (root kits were first developed for Linux.)

The charge of Windows being a resource hog is fair, though...
Close, the first rootkit was written for Unix, which has been around longer than Windows.

While there is truth in the statement that any system can be hacked, and Windows is more popular as a target because it is a bigger target, the main problem has been that the system is more open to "automated" attacks. The infamous "script kiddie" some pathetic loser whose life is so pathetic he has to cause trouble by using tools written by others. A fairly massive weak spot is Microsoft's attempt to maintain backwards compatibility, this has led to flaws coming back many times when they thought they had sorted the problem. You could make an argument that tying the browser to the operating system at such a deep level, as they did with Internet Explorer, was the single biggest security gaff ever. A computer running Linux can usually be hacked, but for the most part, it is necessary to target the actual box in question, and find out what openings have been left unpatched. Some systems are harder than others, OpenBSD for example, or one hardened by the application of SELinux mods ( Stands for Security Enhanced, originally written by the NSA )

My analogy is that running Linux is like locking your car. Yes, a determined thief can steal it, but why would he bother? Most of the other cars in the car park are unlocked, some with the doors open, some even running with the keys in!

I used to say that I would never do online banking on a Windows box, now I am more paranoid, I'll only do it while booting from a live CD or USB key.
coldfeet is offline  
Old 08-24-10, 09:45 PM
  #14  
Laserman
Senior Member
 
Laserman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 383

Bikes: 15 Specialized Crosstrail, 83 Schwinn Traveller, Fuji Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
...
I used to say that I would never do online banking on a Windows box, now I am more paranoid, I'll only do it while booting from a live CD or USB key.
Having a live USB key is great. When I have to travel I can take my OS, the programs I normally use and my data files all on a device that fits on a key chain.
I can borrow a computer, boot up my own OS, then leave no traces behind.

@BlazingPedals I was being a tad snarky since I so often hear convenience and simplicity cited as reasons for using Windows.
It doesn't get much easier than forking over more money. It's almost as if they planned it that way.
Do you not find it odd that you buy an OS then have to buy additional software to be able to use it in a somewhat secure manner? I do.
Laserman is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Fullcount
Tandem Cycling
6
06-05-17 06:30 PM
swiss_toni
Tandem Cycling
0
05-08-14 03:54 AM
Sprout97
Tandem Cycling
5
09-05-12 07:25 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.