Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Continental Gatorskin's - Wire Bead or Folding?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 11:41 AM

Bikes: 2009 Felt F75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nashbar has an additional 20% off sale (if you're buying $75 or more) going on today and I'm seriously thinking of buying some Continental Gatorskins (700x23). However, they're selling two different Gatorskins; one with wire beads ($32.40/p tire) and one that's folding ($39.60/p tire). I would really appreciate knowing what the advantages vs. disadvantages of the two tires so I can make a better decision. I did call Nashbar but the lady really couldn't tell me what the advantages were between the tires. I would appreciate hearing from all of you regarding these two tires.

Currently I'm riding a 2009 Felt F75 with Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slicks that came on the bike. For the months of July & August I've built up to riding between 30 - 50 miles weekly (or is that weakly) and I want to keep that pace and gradually build up from there. Recent flats have been discouraging and I want a good tire that will help minimize flats on the road. My research shows that the Continental Gatorskins would probably be what I'm after.
Old 08-20-10, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I prefer the folding tires for two reasons. First, should I need to carry an extra tire with me (if on a multiple day tour, for example) it is easier to carry. Second, I mount and dismount my tires by hand without the use of tire levers. I find it much easier to do this with non-wire bead tires. Wire bead tires can be, IMHO, more difficult to mount.
Old 08-20-10, 12:26 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I prefer the folding tires for two reasons. First, should I need to carry an extra tire with me (if on a multiple day tour, for example) it is easier to carry. Second, I mount and dismount my tires by hand without the use of tire levers. I find it much easier to do this with non-wire bead tires. Wire bead tires can be, IMHO, more difficult to mount.
I agree! Like the folding better!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-20-10, 01:07 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd like to hear some opinions about whether Kevlar-bead folders have improved over the past 10 years or so. I tried a couple of Specialized folders years ago, and both tires exhibited the same odd problem when mounted on the rear wheel: just a quick shake-down ride around the block would be enough to make the tire rotate on the rim just a little bit. Think of the wheel rotating under power to propel the bike (and rider), but the tire not rotating quite as quickly, as though it were lagging behind just a hair. Like the bead was slipping against the rim. Just a few minutes of this and the tire was displaced enough that the tube's valve stem would be at an agle and no longer aligned with the hole in the rim, putting stress on the stem and causing a fissure leak at its base.

That episode put me off folders, at least of the Kevlar-bead variety. If there are other kinds I'm not aware of, or if they've improved since then, I'd like to hear about it.

Come to think of it, maybe all tires do that and I just needed some talc or baby powder to break any bond between the tube and tire. After all, if the tube hadn't moved as well, there never would have been any stem damage. Still, it's puzzling, since I never had that happen with any other tire, through years of riding.

Last edited by CraigB; 08-20-10 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-20-10, 01:09 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could always purchase the cheapest tire the LBS has for use while you wait for these to arrive. https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y0138 A pair of folding Gatorsikns for $55 with no tax or shipping is a good deal and shipping to the Mid-West usually comes in 4 to 5 days..

I have purchased many tires from PBK, including 6 Conti 4000 GP-S and 3 Conti Sprinter tubulars this year, without any issues.
Old 08-20-10, 01:09 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The kevlar bead in the folding tire will be a little lighter than the wire bead. A tire is a good place to save some weight. Some people swear that wire beads mount easier, others say that kevlar beads mount easier. I think there are probably other factors involved.
Old 08-20-10, 01:37 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
I'd like to hear some opinions about whether Kevlar-bead folders have improved over the past 10 years or so. I tried a couple of Specialized folders years ago, and both tires exhibited the same odd problem when mounted on the rear wheel: just a quick shake-down ride around the block would be enough to make the tire rotate on the rim just a little bit. Think of the wheel rotating under power to propel the bike (and rider), but the tire not rotating quite as quickly, as though it were lagging behind just a hair. Like the bead was slipping against the rim. Just a few minutes of this and the tire was displaced enough that the tube's valve stem would be at an agle and no longer aligned with the hole in the rim, putting stress on the stem and causing a fissure leak at its base.
How much air did you put into the tires? I run 120 psi front and rear (I weigh 175 lbs and I have this theory that you put as much weight on the front tire as on the back whenever you're climbing out of the saddle, or under hard braking, so why should you use any less pressure?). My tires never creep. The only time they ever creep is if I puncture and then ride on the flat for any distance (to get to a safe/quiet place to change tubes). I set the valve stem to be vertical and pump up the tires, and the stem stays vertical!

Folding tires generally weigh about 40 to 70 grams less than equivalent wired-ons. My records show (analog kitchen scale):
Conti Ultra Gatorskin folding: 230 grams;
Conti Ultra Gatorskin wired on: 270 gms.

As far as ease of removal: yes, folding tires are easier to remove, once they've been seated and ridden for a while. Getting them on in the first place is usually much harder. The kevlar bead "stretches" a bit, so out of the box the bead is usually too tight to make up for how much they'll stretch. I sometimes need to resort to very, very careful use of the thinnest plastic tire levers I've got, but this is the only time I would ever use a tire lever to mount a tire.

BTW, the Park plastic tire levers are way too thick. The best tire levers ever made, if you can get them, came for free back in the 70's or 80's with each Michelin Hi-Lite clincher you bought. Also, you only need to carry two tire levers. That said, some folding tires don't require tire levers after you've removed the tires once or twice.

Luis
Old 08-20-10, 01:39 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I've had excellent luck with Continental Gatorskins with folding beads. A bit lighter; very nice if you ever want to take an extra tire with you on long rides or tours; easier to store if you want to keep them around as spares when you are done using them.

And -- even though you didn't ask -- now would be an excellent time to consider changing to 25c's; if you ride on chipseal much or are a larger rider (like me) I think you might enjoy the extra volume.
Old 08-20-10, 01:56 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My gatorskins are literally impossible to mount on my front wheel (the one on my Trek 2300 that was recalled because it's too big). I even took them into the LBS, and they couldn't do it either. So, get the folders.
Old 08-20-10, 02:26 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not to muddle things up, but I've used both the gatorskins and the 4000's (racing tire), both folding, and have not found there to be any noticeable difference in their flat resistance. Both tires puncture when (and where) the flat gods decide it is time for me to make a sacrifice.

Oh, and +1 on going with the 25's.
Old 08-20-10, 03:27 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
Folding tires generally weigh about 40 to 70 grams less than equivalent wired-ons. My records show (analog kitchen scale):
Conti Ultra Gatorskin folding: 230 grams;
Conti Ultra Gatorskin wired on: 270 gms.

As far as ease of removal: yes, folding tires are easier to remove, once they've been seated and ridden for a while. Getting them on in the first place is usually much harder. The kevlar bead "stretches" a bit, so out of the box the bead is usually too tight to make up for how much they'll stretch. I sometimes need to resort to very, very careful use of the thinnest plastic tire levers I've got, but this is the only time I would ever use a tire lever to mount a tire.

BTW, the Park plastic tire levers are way too thick. The best tire levers ever made, if you can get them, came for free back in the 70's or 80's with each Michelin Hi-Lite clincher you bought. Also, you only need to carry two tire levers. That said, some folding tires don't require tire levers after you've removed the tires once or twice.

Luis
Not only are the Park Levers thick- They bend. And my levers that work came free on magazines back in the 90's. I have trouble fitting any tyre to my rims but that is for two reasons- Tyre to rim fit is tight and I use a thick rim tape. And it does not get easier on an older tyre either.

As you are going for a 23 tyre- I take it you are looking for a "Low Drag" interface with the road. Have to agree with you on this but Unless you have a partiality to Gatorskins- There are two tyres that fall into the "Performance" category. Those are the Conti 4000s and Michelin PR 3's. Both tyres have good puncture resistance and a medium to good length of life. I Use the PR's and they are lightweight at around 205 grammes, give good grip, The puncture resistance belt does work and I get around 4,000 miles to a front and 3 to the rear. And those that run the Conti's will probably say the same.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-20-10, 04:11 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ripped the sidewall out of a new wire bead trying to mount it a few years back - never again, I use the kevlar bead gatorskins.
Old 08-20-10, 04:27 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
How much air did you put into the tires? I run 120 psi front and rear (I weigh 175 lbs and I have this theory that you put as much weight on the front tire as on the back whenever you're climbing out of the saddle, or under hard braking, so why should you use any less pressure?). My tires never creep. The only time they ever creep is if I puncture and then ride on the flat for any distance (to get to a safe/quiet place to change tubes). I set the valve stem to be vertical and pump up the tires, and the stem stays vertical!
It was the max PSi the tire was rated for, though the actual amount has long since escaped my memory. Probably at least 110 or so. All the other tires I've ever used over the 30+ years I've been riding, have all behaved like yours - no creep or rotation at all. It was only these two Specialized Kevlars.
Old 08-20-10, 04:38 PM
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have run both Kevlar and wire bead Gatorskins. Have not had any issues with mounting/unmounting either. For around home rides, I would use the wire bead. On any long ride where I needed to carry a spare, then I would carry a Kevlar. I use Pedros tire levers to dismount, but put them on by hand.
Old 08-20-10, 04:50 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I've been using the Conti Ultra Gatorskins wire bead for about 600 miles now. They are OK, but I don't like a slight bike wobble and unsteadiness descending hills that I have never had on anther tire, including even the Armadillos - and 4000's and 3000's.
Old 08-20-10, 08:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
You could always purchase the cheapest tire the LBS has for use while you wait for these to arrive. https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y0138 A pair of folding Gatorsikns for $55 with no tax or shipping is a good deal and shipping to the Mid-West usually comes in 4 to 5 days..

I have purchased many tires from PBK, including 6 Conti 4000 GP-S and 3 Conti Sprinter tubulars this year, without any issues.

Be sure to enter the "TDFUSA" promo code for an additional 10% discount.

Edit:

Total (inc VAT): $49.79

Last edited by kdgrills; 08-20-10 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-20-10, 10:35 PM
'47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Not to muddle things up, but I've used both the gatorskins and the 4000's (racing tire), both folding, and have not found there to be any noticeable difference in their flat resistance. Both tires puncture when (and where) the flat gods decide it is time for me to make a sacrifice.

Oh, and +1 on going with the 25's.
+1. I've used both and noticed little difference in puncture resistance but the 4000's have much livelier ride... a sort of tactile "hum". Differences in ease of mounting vary from wheel to wheel. Keep in mind that tires which roll on easily may just as easily roll off.
Old 08-20-10, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Between my wife's and my touring bikes, we have used at least 4 pairs of wire beaded Ultra Gaterskins over the last 4 years (28mm). That is probably 3,500-4,000 miles on a set going fully loaded. They are sometimes problematic to mount when new. They are a good tire, but I wish they were available in 32mm. We have not experienced any "wobble" problems. I have followed my wife down hills at 40+ mph and the were rock solid. When she was getting lower in her tuck, is when I started breaking! I carry a cheaper folding (Vittoria) tire as a spare on tours. We use kevlar and wire beaded tires on our road bikes, also Continental-- Ultra Sport and Ultra 2000's (23mm). Other than the weight factor which was mentioned above, I don't see a noticable difference.

Having said all that, I'd go for the folding tire if the price difference is not too big. Doing the math-- If you order the wires at $64 you don't get the 20% off. If you order the folding tires for @ $80-$16=$64 . The price is @ the same, unless you already factored that into your prices.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-20-10 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-21-10, 04:05 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet

Yikes! I was going to post this exact link. Like minds hard at work. Scary

I have bought tires from Probike and have had zero problems as well. In fact I was seriously thinking of picking up these exact tires for this winter
Old 08-21-10, 04:10 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kdgrills
Be sure to enter the "TDFUSA" promo code for an additional 10% discount.

Edit:

Total (inc VAT): $49.79
Thanks so much, I have been trying all sorts of codes I thought of and none worked. I knew there had to be one.
Old 08-21-10, 08:05 AM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Contintenal Gatorskins and they are great for riding around SF to work and in Marin for leisure rides. I just did the Marin Century on a set. I use the folding bead and the 25mm size. The 23's are too skinny for me.

Also big thanks to Allegheny Jet for the probikekit link. I just ordered a set of Conti's for my Bianchi.
Old 08-21-10, 10:23 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Philipaparker
Also big thanks to Allegheny Jet for the probikekit link. I just ordered a set of Conti's for my Bianchi.
Your are welcome! Now if/when you are looking for pedals, this is the place to go: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=682

When Keo Sprints are on sale for around $80 I jump on that.
Old 08-21-10, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32
Thanks so much, I have been trying all sorts of codes I thought of and none worked. I knew there had to be one.
You're welcome. I subscribe to their spam list, so I usually have a recent code handy.
You can also check the coupon forum.
Old 08-21-10, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I've used wire beaded Gatorskins for several years on several bikes. I've obviously been happy with them or I would have tried something else. Last summer I bought a set of 23 mm kevlar bead Gatorskins for my Klein but I geve it to my son to use before I ever had a chance to ride on them. He and his wife had triplett girls a year ago so he hasn't used them very much either.

I've always felt that wire beaded tires were easier to install but, as you can see, some other people have contrary opinions.