Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saddle Help

Old 08-25-10, 08:05 AM
oldtoot

Bikes: Madone 4.5, Fuji Newest 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle Help

Hi all. Just found this forum and am seeking advice.

I returned to road biking in my mid 60s with the purchase of an 2006 Fuji Newest 2.0. I put over 10,000 miles on the bike and it's original saddle never gave me a moment's problem until it finally fell apart. It was, I believe, a Velo product and not expensive by any means. This year lust got the upper hand and I bought a Trek Madone 4.5. Nice bike! Love the advantage in speed and climbing but the saddle .... painful!. I've gone through 4 different saddles and have not found anything to match the comfort of the Fuji's . I would dearly love to get my hands on an original Fuji saddle supplied with the Newest 2.0 of around 5 years ago. If anyone has one they replaced or know of a source, I would like to hear from you. Perhaps there's a more appropriate forum to post this?

Many thanks! Rich
Old 08-25-10, 10:33 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldtoot View Post
Hi all. Just found this forum and am seeking advice.

I returned to road biking in my mid 60s with the purchase of an 2006 Fuji Newest 2.0. I put over 10,000 miles on the bike and it's original saddle never gave me a moment's problem until it finally fell apart. It was, I believe, a Velo product and not expensive by any means. This year lust got the upper hand and I bought a Trek Madone 4.5. Nice bike! Love the advantage in speed and climbing but the saddle .... painful!. I've gone through 4 different saddles and have not found anything to match the comfort of the Fuji's . I would dearly love to get my hands on an original Fuji saddle supplied with the Newest 2.0 of around 5 years ago. If anyone has one they replaced or know of a source, I would like to hear from you. Perhaps there's a more appropriate forum to post this?
Many thanks! Rich

Try here: https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...22-Want-To-Buy
Old 08-25-10, 10:46 AM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest searching/watching on ebay. According to bikepedia the saddle on your old bike was a 'Fuji Racing' saddle. I had a 2005 Fuji Roubaix Pro with the 'Fuji Ultralite Racing' saddle and must say I also liked that one.

So search ebay or craigslist to see if somebody is selling one. You can probably get it relatively cheap, but may be hard to find.

Good luck, Mark

bikepedia info: https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...4389&Type=bike
Old 08-25-10, 10:56 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
You can also try here as well:

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...-Vintage-Sales

Or buy a Brooks and be done with it
Old 08-25-10, 11:05 AM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saddles are such a personal thing that it's impossible to make any recommendation. Lots of people here swear by Brooks saddles, but I personally find them extremely uncomfortable. I was using a San Marco Era for a while, but found that they become uncomfortable after about 200 kilometers (I sometimes do randonneur rides). These Era saddles used to come on the topline Treks, so they're probably using something similar on their Madones now. I found that the most comfortable saddle for me was the San Marco Regal.

So based on that, I would suggest going with one of the more high-profile saddle companies (Brooks, San Marco, Selle Italia, Fizik) and just finding what in their line works for you. Those old Velo saddles were probably knockoffs of some Selle Italia or San Marco saddle. For example, the Nashbar Prospect Vintage is a knockoff of the San Marco Regal, and it is just about as comfortable (I use it in the winter in order to save the actual Regal for the long summer rides). So you need to find what the Velo saddle was a knockoff of, and see if it works for you. If it does, then it becomes simple to find more of the same saddle from the high-profile company on eBay or at your local bike shop.

Luis
Old 08-30-10, 09:17 AM
oldtoot

Bikes: Madone 4.5, Fuji Newest 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
You can also try here as well:

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...-Vintage-Sales

Or buy a Brooks and be done with it
The saddles I've tried had the advantage of return if not satisfied. Lots of people swear by Brooks but some swear at it. I'm reluctant to spend the $100+ on a saddle that may or may not work for me and, since they require a long break-in period, would probably not be returnable. The two LBS that I deal with don't stock Brooks so it would have to be special orderd or mail ordered. It would be a $100+ gamble, worth it if it worked a wast of money if it didn't but thanks for your comment.
Rich
Old 08-30-10, 03:18 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Timely topic as I'm also searching for a comfortable saddle.

What makes a comfortable saddle?

How does a rider know what things to look for? I mean if the saddle makes the sit bones sore how do you know whether to go to a wider saddle, or a narrower one? A flatter one, or a more rounded one?

If there is numbness in the genitalia should a rider look first at a different contour? If so, what contour? Or, should a person just jump to one of those that have center cutouts?

Without this kind of information I can easily see a person wasting a year just trying to chase down The saddle.

Yes, I understand a good fit is important. But, as everyone has said a saddle is personal and a person needs to make that selection on their own.
Old 08-30-10, 06:29 PM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as above , a timely subject... I have an ELINA Super Pro on my 82 Motta . got a couple cracks in it,Thinking about the old headliner adhesive and leather trick, but in case that does not play, wonder what is near to it?... It is very hard with no padding at all,,and no grooves in it,, but I am probably one of the "dead end "guys so it has lasted a long time...and is very comfortable for me...Any suggestions would be welcomed...Bud
Old 08-30-10, 07:28 PM
chinarider
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many have had good luck with the Selle Anatomica-- comes with a 30 day money back if not satisfied offer. Or at least it did when I brought mine (didn't take advantage of it). Here is a thread about it.
Old 08-30-10, 08:17 PM
scwowgph

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chinarider View Post
Many have had good luck with the Selle Anatomica-- comes with a 30 day money back if not satisfied offer. Or at least it did when I brought mine (didn't take advantage of it). Here is a thread about it.

LOVE my sela An-atomica...love it
Old 09-09-10, 08:13 PM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldster View Post
as above , a timely subject... I have an ELINA Super Pro on my 82 Motta . got a couple cracks in it,Thinking about the old headliner adhesive and leather trick, but in case that does not play, wonder what is near to it?... It is very hard with no padding at all,,and no grooves in it,, but I am probably one of the "dead end "guys so it has lasted a long time...and is very comfortable for me...Any suggestions would be welcomed...Bud
Well , I will reply to my own post...
I did the recover with leather thing , and it is like it was new,, ( 30 years ago)
did not use the headliner adhesive but plain old contact cement,,,saves all the pain and suffering of trying something new....Whew!!!!

Bud