Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Flat In Years

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First Flat In Years

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 02:57 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
First Flat In Years

Yesterday, about 7 miles into my ride my front tire went flat. It has been many years since this has happened and I had gotten so cocky about it that I don't carry a spare tube, air supply etc.

Called my wife on the cell, she came and got me and the bike, drove to the LBS and got a tube, repaired the flat and no problemo.

But it got me thinking that I should be a bit more prepared. Don't want to carry a lot more weight/stuff.

Any suggestions on how best to be ready for the next one? Co2 the way to go,with a spare tube?
Old 09-23-10, 03:01 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,468 Times in 3,217 Posts
Wow, I thought I was lucky.

CO2, spare cartridge in case, tube and patches (in case), tire levers (unless you're a tough guy) and that cell phone.
Old 09-23-10, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i prefer a hand pump over CO2. if you mess up, you are left with a flat. and i get so many flats i'd have to buy alot of co2.

pump
lever
patch kit
tube
15mm wrench to remove wheel (if not quick release)
pocket knife/multi tool

I always try to patch first without removing the wheel. if I can't find the puncture or if it is torn badly i will replace the tube.
Old 09-23-10, 03:47 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,468 Times in 3,217 Posts
If I were prone to flats I would use a pump too.

Used a Zefal frame pump for years and still use it with my single speed road bike. I could never seem to get enough pressure with it and find I would abort the ride and return home after using it.

Only had to use the CO2 once and it worked, pressure was really good so I continued with my ride.

I think local road conditions should be a guide. But for me, so far, CO2 seems to be advantageous.
Old 09-23-10, 03:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
I could never seem to get enough pressure with it .
I agree, i just use it to get home or to a gas station. i have an adapter to use schrader pumps on presta valves

saving up for one of these mini pumps: https://www.cyclaire.co.uk/
Old 09-23-10, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
I rode for years in the Midwest (IN/MI/IL) w/o a flat.
Then I moved to CO and had 4 flat tires on 2 bikes in the first two weeks.
&$)&#)((!!!! goatheads!!!
Old 09-23-10, 04:03 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm lucky I guess, because I get flats often and have become quite adept at repairing them. Topeak Road Morph pump gets me up to max pressure. It's the only pump I use since ever since the gauge on my floor pump quit working. I usually patch on the spot, but swapping out with a spare tube would be quicker and the punctured tube can be patched after the ride. I always carry spare tube and patch kit because sometimes you get more than one flat and sometimes the flatted tube is irreparable by patching. Pump only, no CO2. Pump can be reused, empty CO2 canister must be safely disposed of, and a new one must be purchased.

Paying for air is a violation of the principles upon which this nation was founded. Give me free air or give me death.
Old 09-23-10, 04:28 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, agree w/ the pump vs CO2 comments; a pump is reusable and I've always operated under the premise that a frame pump is only supposed to get you home, not complete 99 more miles of a 100 mile ride after flatting a mile from the start.

BTW, how much tread is left on your tire? Don't wanna see no cords coming through...
Old 09-23-10, 04:42 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by t4mv
Yeah, agree w/ the pump vs CO2 comments; a pump is reusable and I've always operated under the premise that a frame pump is only supposed to get you home, not complete 99 more miles of a 100 mile ride after flatting a mile from the start. ...
Get a Topeak Road Morph and you will be completely set to continue on a journey of a thousand miles, even if you puncture on the first step.
Old 09-23-10, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Get a Topeak Road Morph and you will be completely set to continue on a journey of a thousand miles, even if you puncture on the first step.
Better yet, get a Lezyne.
Old 09-23-10, 04:51 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, I hear that one is better. The Topeak is sufficient though. The days of using a frame pump to get enough air in to just limp home are over!
Old 09-23-10, 05:02 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a strange twist of fate, I DO have a Road Morph that I got for the kids since they ride their bike to/from school. And guess what? It's still sitting in its original packaging, unopened...

I've seen other folks on group rides (gasp!) fix flats with a Road Morph/Lezyne and, yeah, they seem to get the pressure up high enough to complete an intended ride, but the pump on my bike (w/ 36+ YO components) is some Blackburn full size frame pump (hey, at least it's not a Silca Impero) and I honestly don't want to sit there subjecting myself or someone else to getting it up to 100 psi or whatever. As long as I don't get a snake bite getting where I want to go is fine by me.
Old 09-23-10, 05:08 PM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mustachiod
saving up for one of these mini pumps: https://www.cyclaire.co.uk/
Interesting product. Currently using Planetbike Versair take along pump,
very happy with the performance after over 20 flat repairs(pumps tire to full pressure):
pump..jpg

But interested in actual reviews for that unusual pump in the link.
Old 09-23-10, 06:22 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
t4mv, A Silca pump is better than anything Blackburn ever made. Why ride on a soft tire after repairing a flat? I don't get it.
Old 09-23-10, 06:36 PM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First I am DYING to know how you went years without a flat. What do you attribute THAT to?
More importantly, what can the rest of us learn from you so that we can duplicate that performance?

AS for what to do going forward, I have two words for you: tire liners.

I swear by them. I wont recommend one brand over another, as they all seem to work about the same. I'm currently using, "STOP FLATS," for no more reason than I got a good price on them.
But there is something about liners, and its not just the layer of protection they offer against punctures. I don't know how to explain it, except to say they somehow "harden" a tire, even seeming to make them hold pressure longer. At least that is my observation.

I also carry a fresh, spare tube, a CO2 inflator kit w/levers and a Presta-Schrader adapter (the CO2 inflators never seem to do a good job of mating to the Presta valves, so I have the adapter)
Old 09-23-10, 06:43 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It is very bad luck to even talk about this.... much bad ju ju!
Old 09-23-10, 06:51 PM
ES&D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
t4mv, A Silca pump is better than anything Blackburn ever made. Why ride on a soft tire after repairing a flat? I don't get it.
I dunno about your experience but mine w/ the Impero w/ a Campy head (and other folks' w/ the same set up) typically ended up with a tire inflated to enough pressure to get to someplace where you could put some real air in. This was why I made the original comment about just getting home. At least the pumps w/ a thumblock (and a good seal) let you concentrate more on getting more pressure into the tire than not ripping the valve stem off. Nobody said they were riding a soft tire around after fixing a flat, just that it wasn't up to the pressure a decent floor pump would put in it before a ride. If that's your definition of soft then, OK, I'm fine w/ soft tires as long as I don't get a snake bite further down the road.

Last edited by t4mv; 09-23-10 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-23-10, 07:17 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm fine with full pressure. I'm not fine with just getting down the road. More is expected of me. Running low pressure is not an option for me, but even if it were optional, I wouldn't opt for less than optimal.
Old 09-23-10, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor

But interested in actual reviews for that unusual pump in the link.
https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...uct/plus-23219
Old 09-23-10, 07:58 PM
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I carry a Nashbar dual inflater. Find the leak and seat the bead after repairing it, using the pump, then finish with a cheap 12gm CO2 cartridge. Gives me plenty of pressure in either a road or mountain bike tire.
Old 09-23-10, 08:04 PM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard, in talking with people that travel with their bikes on planes, that they use frame pumps. The CO2 cartridges can't be brought on the plane, nor packed in luggage, and frequently they can't be bought where they're going.
Old 09-23-10, 08:06 PM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by waldowales
I carry a Nashbar dual inflater. Find the leak and seat the bead after repairing it, using the pump, then finish with a cheap 12gm CO2 cartridge. Gives me plenty of pressure in either a road or mountain bike tire.
Pump then CO2 - I like that.
Old 09-24-10, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
Used a Zefal frame pump for years and still use it with my single speed road bike. I could never seem to get enough pressure with it and find I would abort the ride and return home after using it.
Serious? I have had two Zefal frame pumps. An HP, then a HPx. Both of them had no problem getting pressure of 100+lbs. The only reason I've had two is because the first one got flattened when it got ran over by a car after it fell off the bike, my fault for not putting it on correctly.

I also have good luck with no flatting, but this year I had three flats, an three rides on the same tire. Yes, that tube went on the scrap pile.
Old 09-24-10, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st two reviews couldn't be more different
Old 09-24-10, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am impressed that you went 7 years without a flat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.