Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Off to Clermont, FL in the AM - Try the Horrible Hundred Route

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 03:42 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

A group of about 20 riders or so are heading up to Clermont, FL west of Orlando. It is the site of the annual "Horrible Hundred" to be held in Nov. It features a century with 4 k of climb, not a lot by most but pretty impressive for flat FLA. The highest "peak" is 400' Sugarloaf Mountain, so the climb is mostly rollers.

We are going up to do a 65 mi A ride and a 45 Mi B ride. I'm going to try to hang on to the A ride as I want to do Sugarloaf which is not on the 45 mi route. Also, if I'm driving 3 hrs to a ride, I don't want to be done in 2.5 hrs.

If I can handle the 65 mi ride, I'll feel much better about the 100 mi ride in Nov. If I suffer too much, I'll know to limit myself to the 70 mi route in Nov.

We're leaving at 5 AM so it's off for a nice big bowl of pasta and a good nights rest.
Old 10-02-10, 04:32 PM
Harry helps.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I was thinking of doing it.
Old 10-03-10, 04:46 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Think I would have to train myself up for an "A" group ride---either that or make certain there is a tow rope to keep me up to their speed. 65 milers taking in a few Slopes like sugarloaf mountain is achievable for me but it is the speed that others get on the flat that would be my problem.

Good luck on the mountain and remember that some of us have Triples specially for hills like this.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-03-10, 07:39 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
When doing longer distance rides, riding with a group can be a benefit IF you're all at the same fitness level. If not, it'll force you into an unnaturally fast pace, which makes it harder to do the distance, not easier, and you just get chucked out the back exhausted after 20 miles when you could have been enjoying the ride instead.
Old 10-03-10, 08:31 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck to you. I don't know about hanging with A riders. The Horrible Hundred is a great ride. Doing a dry run of 65 miles is a good idea. But if you can not ride comfortably with the A group, don't even try. Riding with a too fast group over hills and 65 miles is a recipe for failure. Try to find a couple of other riders to ride with.

I hope you have a good time and good luck to you.
Old 10-03-10, 07:31 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
Good luck to you. I don't know about hanging with A riders. The Horrible Hundred is a great ride. Doing a dry run of 65 miles is a good idea. But if you can not ride comfortably with the A group, don't even try. Riding with a too fast group over hills and 65 miles is a recipe for failure. Try to find a couple of other riders to ride with.

I hope you have a good time and good luck to you.
As you will see in another post, it was a FAIL! I should have ridden with the B group, but I wanted to do "Sugarloaf" and they were not going to. And while I had to walk up the last 2/3rds, I had a great ride, and linked up with another "not quite A" rider and we finished together, only a few minutes and a few miles less than the "big dogs"

The ride a great and we all had a super time. I learned a lot, and I know I need to use my 12 - 27 not the 11-25. I also am reconsidering the 100 mi vs 70 mi. I know I can do the 100, but I'm not certain I'll be any better prepared to ride the "mountain" in 6 weeks than I am now. I would not be able to keep up with the A riders, but there will be plenty of B riders for other clubs doing the 100 that I could link up with and ride.

But our club needs an experienced ride leader for the B group, and most of them will be on the 70 mi ride. Perhaps that's my place for the ride. We won't do "Sugarloaf" but the it may be more than I can chew at almost 63.

To make matters worse, my BP suddenly spiked from 120/76 to 150/90 in 2 months and reamained there abouts, and I don't know why. Until that gets under control, I'll keep things on the moderate side. That was one reason I chose to walk up Sugarloaf rather than HTFU as far as I could go.

Tonight I feel fine. I didn't over exert, and my lungs and heart rate prevent me from burning out my legs, so I'm in better shape than most of the other riders. I'm very confident I about the 70 mi, and I know I can do the 100 if I choose. So while today was a "FAIL" I learned a lot and will make some important decisions.