Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Violation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 05:30 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. The rider wasn't going fast so it wasn't a dangerous situation, just inconsiderate.
Old 11-01-10, 06:10 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I ride across the Bull's island bridge, but slowly, and if the pedestrians are milling about blocking the path I just stop and wait for them. It's a wide pedestrian bridge and there is very little foot traffic. OTOH, I always walk on the pedestrian path on the steel deck bridges that cross the Delaware. For one thing, they have little trolls manning the bridge that will feed you to the fishes.
Old 11-01-10, 07:11 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
I cross that bridge (Bull's Island) from time to time on my bike. If no one else is on the bridge, it's kinda silly not to ride your bike. If you use good judgement, crossing any of these bridges by bike is never an issue. Unfortunately, too many people just don't exercise (or even have) good judgement.
I moved away from that area a decade ago, and I sorely miss the towpaths and bridges along the Delaware...wonderful riding. I will say that on the odd occasion where there were no pedestrians, I also rode across Bull's Island bridge. Terex has it nailed, about good judgement... but then, there'll always be someone to go against what is considered good judgement, just as there will be someone upholding that particular "law" when there's no good reason... except the fact that it is the local law. In a country like ours, with our state and local sovereignities, the laws may end up not making sense when taken literally in all instances, especially when crossing the state border as in this case; but then, any one of us would have said that common courtesy (if not the law) would have been for the rider to dismount in the presence of walkers on a narrow bridge.
Reminds me of the time I stepped off of the curb to cross the street in Basel - no traffic in sight - and two separate folks reminded me not to cross in the middle of the street... we'll never have that kind of civic "dudley doright" mentality in a country such as ours. Here, practically everything ends up being a point of contention!
Old 11-01-10, 07:34 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Difficult to argue against a pedestrian bridge having signs to prohibit other modes of travel,

Paul
Again, what about bicycle paths well marked for bicycles, with pedestrians walking two and 3 abreast, taking up the right of way? It's not just the cyclists that misbehave.

I've been a pedestrian in a downtown section, trying to walk across the street at a corner intersection on a green light, with a green "Walk" light, in a painted pedestrian crossing - and cars stopped square across the crosswalk on their red light. Yeah, it's only bicyclists. Sure.
Old 11-01-10, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride frequently where it says "walk your bike" BUT, if it means I'm going to inconvenience a pedestrian, or put me at risk, I'll walk.