Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

After yesterdays ride, everything hurt...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 10:49 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

... even my teeth!

It was a cold weather ride. Ice on the ponds, and afternoon temps of 45f.

Rode 73 miles from home in the city to the northern suburbs of Chicago and back. 4.5 hours of almost continuous riding, with one stop at 45 miles for water and a stop for chili at 55 miles. The cold weather really builds an appetite!

I was a little underdressed. No risk of frostbite, but I felt chilled most of the time. I also didn't eat until the last 1/3 of the ride.

But as I fell asleeplast night, it all hurt. My feet, leg muscles, knees, lower back, shoulders, neck, head, ears... and even my teeth. It must of been from breathing chilled air.

Getting older is a *****.
Old 11-07-10, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
... even my teeth!

It was a cold weather ride. Ice on the ponds, and afternoon temps of 45f.

Rode 73 miles from home in the city to the northern suburbs of Chicago and back. 4.5 hours of almost continuous riding, with one stop at 45 miles for water and a stop for chili at 55 miles. The cold weather really builds an appetite!

I was a little underdressed. No risk of frostbite, but I felt chilled most of the time. I also didn't eat until the last 1/3 of the ride.

But as I fell asleeplast night, it all hurt. My feet, leg muscles, knees, lower back, shoulders, neck, head, ears... and even my teeth. It must of been from breathing chilled air.

Getting older is a *****.
But it was a good kinda hurt, right?
Old 11-07-10, 11:19 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
But it was a good kinda hurt, right?
Yes, like feeling alive!
Old 11-07-10, 11:55 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It's that feeling when the hands- feet- nose and body start coming back to life after they have been numbed by the cold for a good few hours that makes me realise that I should not have done a ride. I don't know whether to sympathise with you- or just to call you a few choice names for your foolish action.

Think I will show symapathy cos I have done rides like that- and probably will again.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-07-10, 11:59 AM
Have bike, will travel

Thanks for the sympathy. Living near the coast must provide a mild climate. I enjoy cold weather and like to avoid wearing excess bulk while cycling and skiing. Most of the pain was from use, and its a pain that lets me know that I have worked hard. Suffering also reminds me that I should exercise more often.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-07-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-07-10, 12:25 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Something annoying happens to me when I ride in the cold - my speech starts to slur. Doesn't happen just in the cold or when I ride in temperate weather - it's something about the influence of the cold on my jaw muscles, I think. It's kind of upsetting.
Old 11-07-10, 02:09 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have done a fair bit of cold weather riding. I don't need much on my torso, but I give the hands and feet and face priority in protection because they are exposed to the wind chill. It is hard to put too much on em. When it gets below 35, I usually wear a neoprene face mask and glasses so no skin is showing.

But still, it is kind of fun to brave the elements isn't it?

Pat
Old 11-07-10, 02:21 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Pat
I have done a fair bit of cold weather riding. I don't need much on my torso, but I give the hands and feet and face priority in protection because they are exposed to the wind chill. It is hard to put too much on em. When it gets below 35, I usually wear a neoprene face mask and glasses so no skin is showing.

But still, it is kind of fun to brave the elements isn't it?

Pat
Hi Pat,

Yes, It was a good ride, so much better than staying in. I agree about the hands, feet & face. I had smartwool socks and could have used my rain covers to keep the wind out and my feet warmer. The hands were OK with full-finger MTB gloves, when its colder, I use fleece lined dress gloves that seem to stay warm without trapping moisture. In really cold weather, I'll use an alpine ski helmet; it looks strange but works well.

Any time I get outside in winter, I've won and winter has been defeated!

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-07-10 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-07-10, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Repeatedly chilling your teeth is a good way to get root canals. bk
Old 11-07-10, 07:52 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Repeatedly chilling your teeth is a good way to get root canals. bk
I should focus on breathing in through the nose, out through the mouth!