Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Career - Current or Past?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Which is your career - present or past?
Computer/Engineering
34.50%
Financial/Management
6.20%
Sales
4.26%
Health Care
7.75%
Education
8.91%
Judicial/Lawyer/Law Enforcement
4.26%
Social/Human Services
1.55%
Trades/Craftsperson
11.24%
Military
4.26%
Potpourri/Other
17.05%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

What Career - Current or Past?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 05:34 AM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advertising / graphic design for 15 years, and now computer system administration for another 15. I think it's time to change (no, I KNOW it's time to change... now for it to just happen!).
Old 03-29-12, 07:45 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Artist, Sculptor, and before I retired, Graphics Designer (computer). Nice too share an interest that has so many engineers. Believe the art world would be better off with more engineering talent blended in.
Old 03-29-12, 08:20 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Degree in astronautical and aeronautical engineering. Currently an avionics system architect, but have managed optical, mechanical, system and software folks in prior positions. Currently a full-time telecommuter trying to figure out when to retire. I've been fortunate (?) in that I've essentially worked for the same company for almost 36 years; the privately-owned company I worked for up until 2000 was purchased, but they bridged all the benefits. Will look for part time work after I retire.
Old 03-29-12, 08:38 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Health care. Don't ask health questions on the internet to those with no health care experience
Old 03-29-12, 09:49 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Since this thread is now awake... (I wonder, how much could anyone post here without it seeming self-centered?)

BS Physics, PhD Geophysics, got sucked into software/high-tech a long time ago, have not escaped (yet). Also musician and general dont-wanna-grow-up guy.
Old 03-29-12, 11:15 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I started off as an electrician's helper, working with my dad's friend on the weekends and during the summer. I was also an electrician in the military (combat engineer in Nam) and continued the trade when I got out. In 1974 when things got really bad in the construction business, I did a few odds and end jobs and then joined the Fire Department. After I got my EMT certification with the FD, I transferred to the County EMS system in 1977. I received my paramedic certification in 1979 and stayed with the county EMS system until 1997 when the they merged with the fire department. I did not want to go back to being a firefighter so I bought my military time and retired from the county.

In 1980, I self taught myself computer programming and in 1984 started a consulting firm with a friend, doing software development on my days off from EMS. We worked a 24 on/48 off shift with 5 days off every three weeks and that gave me plenty of time to do the consulting job. When I left EMS in 1997, I began doing full time software development and systems management, as a full time employee and also as a consultant. My last job before retirement was 5 years with Coca-Cola doing in-house, browser-based financial software for their financial center located here in Tampa (Brandon).

In 1987 the Sheriff came recruiting paramedics for their new SWAT Medic program. At the time, I was really heavy into martial arts and was in excellent physical condition, a requirement for the SWAT Team. Went to the academy and got certified and stayed with the SWAT team for 2 1/2 years. I had to leave the team because I could no longer respond to the callouts in order to take care of my wife when she had her hip reconstruction surgery. However, I did stay with the Sheriff's Office for 18 years as a Reserve Deputy working mostly on undercover work and the last 8 years as an assistant Traffic Homicide Investigator. I left the Sheriff's Office in 2005 after 30 years of public safety.

Lots of real cool, overlapping jobs over my career, but the best job of all is my current one .... retirement.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 03-29-12 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-29-12, 11:23 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Fred-mobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retired USAF
Former IT for two state agencies
Former restaurant manager
Current IT support analyst
Old 03-29-12, 06:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Former professional musician (lead guitar in a hair/metal band
Telecommunications tech/switch tech since 1982
Occasional teacher in multyple fields
Part time martial arts instructor.
And loved every job I have ever had. Looking forward to retirment some day.
Old 03-29-12, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Lawyer with masters in environmental engineering. I checked lawyer. Retired, work as consultant from home now. Best job in the world. Boy, do I love computers and smart phones. I can, and do, work from anywhere.
Old 03-29-12, 08:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL 2 Elite, 2001 Litespeed Classic, 2019 Pinarillo Dyodo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
Worked 45 years as a machinist mainly building tooling for maching aircraft parts. Boy did the trade change through the years with the development of CNC machines and the development of the software to program them.
Now the wife and I are retired. Didn't start riding until after retirement 3 years ago.

Last edited by macd55; 03-29-12 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-30-12, 04:35 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At age 13 i worked in a roller skating rink
Sold vacuum cleaners door to door
Started out as a manual machine operator ( NO CNC) milling machines and radial arm drill press. Did that until I was 32. Since then i have followed my wife's career around the country . Worked factory temp agency jobs , digitized oil well logs, worked at a factory that made some sort of scalpel. Clean room stuff) ( They were Chinese workers and they were all talking in Chinese and i said i hope they weren't canables. That got a laugh)
Worked at a famous tea bad company. Lost my gloves into the milling machine and fell off the dumpster
Photo shop
Security guard.
Plastic injection molding
Rubber injection molding (Kong toys) (Male co worker slapped a female co worker and they would not fire him so i quit )
dog training consultant
Animal hospital as a vet assistant and kennel manager ( at two clinics the vet kicked dogs in the jaw one while i had a-hold of the dog)
Stocked shelves in a pet store
Washed dishes in a pizza parlor.
Had a pet sitting business
I finally convinced the wife it was cheaper for me to sit at home than have an second car after 30 years and 50 different jobs.
So Now i am looking for a part time job i can ride my bike to

Last edited by Jamesw2; 03-30-12 at 04:37 AM. Reason: added text
Old 03-30-12, 06:10 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Lawyer with masters in environmental engineering. I checked lawyer. Retired, work as consultant from home now. Best job in the world. Boy, do I love computers and smart phones. I can, and do, work from anywhere.
Seems we have something in common Terex, I have a Bachelors of Environmental Engineering and a BA in Law (although I work as a Civil Engineer). Small world.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-31-12, 10:30 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Corporate communications/Media Relations
Old 03-31-12, 10:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
veterinarian
Old 03-31-12, 04:26 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2, 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started out in the USAF as a Combat Weapons Team Member on F-15's and B-52's. I worked my way up to a Team Chief E5. Left the USAF and went into avionics manufacturing. That was fun but the pay wasn't. I shifted to working as an apprentice electrician and was in my 4th year when I fell and injured my spine at C6/C7. I did well enough in the apprentice program to transfer into being an estimator/drafter/project manager for various electrical contractors and engineering outfits. Personal Computers and digital drafting were just coming of age so I taught myself CAD and IT and would use those as additional marketing tools when it came time to change employers.

Eventually I did IT full time and supported very large high volume websites at Boeing and Microsoft. I got real sick with Diverticulitis in my late 40's/early 50's. I had to walk away from IT. Too stressful, it would seriously disrupt my digestive system.

Now I work as a freelance photographer specializing in architectural and real estate photography which I truly enjoy doing. Being freelance has its own set of stressors but I am the happiest I've been in many years!! Cycling has a lot to do with that!

So I picked potpourri/other since I've done a lot of various career paths.
Old 03-31-12, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Giant Revolt Advanced 2, Cannondale SuperSix 3, Giant OCR2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26+ years as a street cop and still currently a street cop...I love this job!!!! 2 yrs ago, I was 35 lbs overweight, had bad asthma and taking meds for high cholesterol and blood pressure. In Jan 2011, I started off (road biking) doing 10 mile rides and by the end of 2011, I logged over 4000 miles by doing metric centuries, centuries, and my own rides. This year, in January, my doctor took me off all my medications and I lost over 35 lbs (back to my academy graduation weight).
Old 03-31-12, 07:22 PM
Kilt wearing cyclist

Bikes: 1974 Montomery Wards Open Road, 1971 Schwinn Suburban, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Current: Animal care assistant (aka: humane society, shelter volunteer. i.e. litter box patrol). Note: This is the first job where I woke up in the morning actually wanting to go to work.

Past: IT, mainframe services support (computer printer operator/help desk)
Multiple lines insurance sales (life, health, property & casualty)
Old 03-31-12, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Grocery store sacker
Hospital orderly
Med lab tech (USAF & civilian)
Electrical eng...graduated "Lordy How Come", started up steel & paper mills
MBA --->. Kind of a corp cop now. I catch you cheating the co & I'll get you terminated.

Six short year until I can retire....not sure if I will at that point though. Life is pretty darn good!
Old 03-31-12, 08:56 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by donger
26+ years as a street cop and still currently a street cop...I love this job!!!! 2 yrs ago, I was 35 lbs overweight, had bad asthma and taking meds for high cholesterol and blood pressure. In Jan 2011, I started off (road biking) doing 10 mile rides and by the end of 2011, I logged over 4000 miles by doing metric centuries, centuries, and my own rides. This year, in January, my doctor took me off all my medications and I lost over 35 lbs (back to my academy graduation weight).
Excellent job....be safe!
Old 04-01-12, 08:00 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
professor of statistics and psychology ..... chose "other", since i don't really fit into the ten categories --- need a SCIENCE category
Old 04-02-12, 04:02 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stanwass
professor of statistics and psychology ..... chose "other", since i don't really fit into the ten categories --- need a SCIENCE category
I just need to know " How are we doing" you know on a scale of one to ten. Are cyclists really going to make it. You know "are we there yet" or is it "no matter where you are you are there"

Foghorn Leghorn Isay Isay I say son!! I know numbers don't lie.
Old 04-02-12, 04:20 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Graduated College in 1982, went into media sales, and also journalism. Those careers sort of evaporated around here, so I began work in photographic retail and lab management for about 20 years. When the photo industry tanked, I became a security guard and now drive a bus for the same firm . I can easily say I enjoy my work .
Old 04-02-12, 04:29 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worked as a printer for 46 years, print shops, newspapers. Printer/Computer Tech/Page Designer/Retired/Work part time in bike shop.
Old 04-02-12, 06:42 AM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never had a career really, just jobs.
When my girls were babies, I could not afford to work, daycare would have taken any pay I earned! But when they went to school I started working at Macy's. It actually was Jordan Marsh when I was hired. JM a good company to work for, nice benefits & vacation time. Worked there for 14 years. Retail can be tough sometimes while you are at work, but it's good because the minute you walk off the floor, you don't have to give it a second thought.
Then I got a job doing window treatments. I started doing simple shades & blinds, but by the time I got tired of my coworkers and the crazy way the business was being run, (and my parents were needing more and more help), I was designing & selling high end, multi-thousand dollar treatments to rich folks in Andover and Boston high rise codos. I got to go into some marvelous homes - that part was a lot of fun!
After I left that job, I started working part time at a bike shop. I still do some window treatments on an as needed basis for a local designer. And, I do my recycled bike jewelry, which has been better received that I ever thought it would.
Old 04-02-12, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I used to use Sprint now I use AT&T.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.