Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm so awesome

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm so awesome

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 11:15 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I wanted to post this before BluesDawg comes along and does it:

Old 01-20-11, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that a Brooks saddle(seat) I see? Oh,and welcome to the Zoo.
Old 01-20-11, 11:59 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
OOps- Yet another convert.

Problem is that many of us here started on bikes like you have. Better start saving and cooking. (Do they have Blueberry's in Texas)?

Spike Milligan
Old 01-21-11, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Welcome- I wouldn't drool too much in the bike shop-- That is a nice bike!

You might talk to someone about bike fit before you raise the seat or make any changes ( except the bar angle).
Old 01-21-11, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Hang on guys. You've all turned your heads and are chatting up the new girl, but you haven't even asked her vital statistics...

... what Lucille's inseam measurements and height are...

... and you are suggesting moving the seat up and handlebars down?

Sheesh.

Lucille, the fact is, if you have bought a Cannondale touring bike, you have probably lucked into one of the most practical bikes you could come across for the price you paid (whatever that was, and I gather not much).

Touring bikes are the all-rounders of the cycling world, and can be used for touring (obviously), commuting to volunteer work if you get into it, going to the shops, visiting friends, going on picnics, and all sort of other stuff.

It already comes with a rack, so you likely will end up seeking out some panniers or bags that fit on the back.

But let's go back to the basics. The most important aspect of any bicycle is how it fits you. And it is a process that you will probably fuss with for a while before you feel totally comfortable.

Is there a size in inches or centimetres on a label anywhere on the bike (usually at the bottom of the tube that the seat sits in)?

Then let us know how tall you are, and then take a hardcover book, stand up straight against a wall, put the book between your legs and so it is right angles against the wall, move it up so it feels like you are almost sitting on it, and get someone to measure from the floor to the top of the book. That will give us your inseam, and THEN everyone can have their say on whether the bike fits you, whether the seat and stuff needs adjusting, and so on.

And yes! Self sufficiency is a great thing in bicycling... if you can do you own maintenance, you can save a bundle in costs. And if you are that self-sufficient, you will be able to ride across the country without a mechanical care in the world (well, almost).

You're obviously capable of using the internet, so look up www.sheldonbrown.com and explore his various articles, then look up www.parktool.com and explore that site for tips on how to do things and what you will need.

Last edited by Rowan; 01-21-11 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-21-11, 01:19 AM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That bike was $1000 when it was new, and the 2010 model is $2200 in Canada. Cannondale has discontinued the bike in 2011

If it is a good size or fit for you after you adjust the seat and handlebars, then you've found the perfect bike to get back into it.

Good luck, and happy trails.

Last edited by skilsaw; 01-21-11 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Opps, I see Rowan already pointed to SB.
Old 01-21-11, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
G'd Day, Rowan, I took another look at the picture of the bike and think you're right about it being a tourer. 36 spokes wheels, triple chain ring with a real small inner, fairly big granny on the rear. braze-on for front rack ,two bottle holders, and possibly a Brooks saddle to boot.
Old 01-21-11, 04:18 AM
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I wanted to post this before BluesDawg comes along and does it:

Thank you. I LOVE B.B. King, love the blues. Love being here on this forum with people like me. We've paid our dues to life.
I loved being young and carefree. Loved raising a family. And now, I love the confidence and serenity that comes with having lived for 57 years.
But, enough philosophy. I'm going to fix those handlebars, look up the size of my bike, learn all I can and start riding a little at a time.

BTW, I tried to reply to a pm yesterday and could not, apparently I have to have 50 posts, so I changed my deals where people can contact me via email. I only talk when I have something to say, so on account of me being new (and so I will be listening more than talking), 50 posts is a lot.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes.
Old 01-21-11, 05:09 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes you are awesome! Well done!
Old 01-21-11, 05:52 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Hi, Lucille. It looks like you are off to a great start with a fine bike for cheap and you are learning to adjust and maintain it. I am looking forward to reading about your progress.

I don't see how anyone could advise you to raise the seat without knowing how you fit on the bike. It may be perfect or it may need to be moved. There should be a slight bend in your knee when that foot is fully extended with the pedal in the lowest position.
The bars should be more comfortable when rotated so that the bottom flats are parallel with the ground. That may lead to your needing to move the brake levers down some. A good rule of thumb is for the tips of the brake levers to be positioned so that a ruler held flat against the bottom of the handlebar touches the tips of the levers. From there, adjust to comfort.

Good riding and good blues to you.
Old 01-21-11, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
G'd Day, Rowan, I took another look at the picture of the bike and think you're right about it being a tourer. 36 spokes wheels, triple chain ring with a real small inner, fairly big granny on the rear. braze-on for front rack ,two bottle holders, and possibly a Brooks saddle to boot.
3 bottles, there's one under the down tube. Don't forget cantilever brakes, a touring bike staple, and the long wheelbase. All of the other stuff (except rack mounts) could have been added by an owner. I have a Cannondale like that and mine has the steel fork as well. I think it's a 1989 model year but the vintage Cannondale website isn't real clear.
Hers is a very small frame, maybe a 50.
Old 01-21-11, 08:34 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
...the brake levers should be on the bend of the bars so they ( the levers) should come down about 2 or 3 inches.
I wouldn't move the brake levers at all if it were my bike. The rule of thumb I was always taught, and what has always worked for me, is that a straight-edge run along the bottom of the handlebar drops should touch the bottom tip of the brake lever, and it looks like she's right there as it is. Obviously personal taste and comfort issues require tweaking from that point if necessary, but moving the brake levers would be at the very bottom of my list of any needed adjustments. Rotate the bars, absolutely, but leave the brake levers where they are.

Oh, and welcome, Lucille!

Last edited by CraigB; 01-21-11 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-21-11, 08:38 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome, Lucille!
You can always find helpful information, varied opinions, and a generous serving of goofiness on this forum!

+1 on the Sheldon Brown site.
Old 01-21-11, 08:47 AM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this setup to be very comfortable for me:

Top of drops/brake levers close to horizontal. Just my opinion ;-)

You can read about the issue I had with this here ...

Moral of the story ... use a torque wrench when setting up C/F components ;-)
Old 01-21-11, 10:21 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome. Some of the tips on these videos might be helpful.
Good luck.
Larry
https://bicycletutor.com/
Old 01-21-11, 11:21 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThatBritBloke
I found this setup to be very comfortable for me:

Top of drops/brake levers close to horizontal. Just my opinion ;-)
+1

IMO, this is much more important than the relationship of the levers to the drops, especially when she is likely to be spending most/all of her time on the hoods and bar tops for awhile.
Old 01-21-11, 11:40 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
A lot depends on the type of handlebars. Those bars seem to have a pretty dramatic drop. I don't think level tops would work very well with them. In fact, a change of bars to something with flatter tops, short reach and shallow drop might be in order. But leveling the bottoms would still be my first move.
Old 01-21-11, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome Lucille!

and FTR, I enjoy riding bikes a ton more than cleaning or working on them!
Old 01-21-11, 12:30 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Yes Ms. Mouse, you have started a path that will probably lead to phrases likes N+1, shoes, peddles, seats, lights. Fun stuff! On cold or bad weather days it fun to figit with the bike. Hopefully you already have a good helmet and gloves?!?!

This is also a great group to hang with. Since your name is girlie sounding, drinking a glass of wine instead of beer is permissible. Pie is not an option.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-21-11, 01:29 PM
Lucille

Originally Posted by Daspydyr
N+1

What does this mean?
Old 01-21-11, 01:34 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
N = the number of bikes you currently own. N+1 is the number of bikes you will own, soon.
Old 01-21-11, 01:41 PM
Lucille

I looked on the bike and did not see anything that might be a frame size. I'm thinking that since I've got it, numbers may just confuse the issue and I should learn to adjust everything and set it up so it is comfortable to me.

The shifting stuff is not going well; I am going to put the bike up on something so I can turn the pedals and see what is happening while I shift.

Then again, I remember decades ago when a long past bf taught me to ride a motorcycle, he took me and the bike 5 miles from home and told me I could either ride it home or walk home. So maybe it is just best, as I think Nike says, to 'just do it'.
Old 01-21-11, 01:41 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Hey Lucillle,
Sunny 58* tommorrow.
Do you want go for a very short ride in the afternoon to make some adjustments on your bike?

Old 01-21-11, 01:46 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a quick picture of my wife's bike. Notice the handlebars and how they are flat across the top to the shifters and the bottom of the bar is almost parallel to the ground. This is a common setup.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3608new.jpg (101.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-21-11, 01:50 PM
Lucille

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Hey Lucillle,
Sunny 58* tommorrow.
Do you want go for a very short ride in the afternoon to make some adjustments on your bike?
Thank you. I'm going to wait until I'm competent. That may be several years My initial awesomeness has morphed into a sort of envy of youse guys that have got it down. As I will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.