Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Disadvantage to a Garmin

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Disadvantage to a Garmin

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Disadvantage to a Garmin

I'm into my 2nd year of riding, about 8000-9000 miles, hundreds of rides but 3rd ride with a Garmin and 1st wreck. I'm not 100% sure of exactly what happened because my brain seems to have blanked out a few of the seconds but I'm pretty sure I was just coasting on a deserted road toward an intersection where I was going to turn around with a drink bottle in one hand while looking at the Garmin data. This is the hazy part: I saw a stick in the road, heard a tire noise and instantly was on the ground. I don't remember the transition at all.

I remember hitting though, on my right shoulder and arm, on the asphalt. Thanks to the Garmin, I discover I was doing only 14 and cadence zero. Another 5-6 mph and that would have been a hospital event. As it is I'm sore, freaked and bloody well skinned.

Maybe it's a relatively cheap lesson in paying attention, it could have been a bunch worse.
Old 05-12-11, 12:17 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend that was coasting through and intersection not paying attention and picked up a stick in the front wheel. It sheered her fork and threw her to the ground. She is now a quad in a wheelchair. So, I'd say you got off lucky.
Old 05-12-11, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Reminds me of when I riding along a highway where another lane was being constructed. I kept looking and switching between all the functions on my computer and ran into one of those big orange barrels with the flashing lights.
Old 05-12-11, 12:22 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing... I'm glad you're OK. I'm going to share this with Hubby; I often see (saw) him looking down at his Garmin, and I've admonish him saying all it would take is a stick or a stone and he'd be down. It could happen to anyone of any skill level.
Old 05-12-11, 12:31 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Thanks for sharing... I'm glad you're OK. I'm going to share this with Hubby; I often see (saw) him looking down at his Garmin, and I've admonish him saying all it would take is a stick or a stone and he'd be down. It could happen to anyone of any skill level.
My friend was an ex Cat1 womens racer. It can happen to anyone. Keep your eyes on the road!
Old 05-12-11, 12:49 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help me understand why Garmin is at fault here?
Old 05-12-11, 01:18 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There has to be more to the story about the ex-CAT1 racer that is in a wheelchair now???
Old 05-12-11, 01:35 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Disadvantage to a Garmin? You could just as easily claim there's a disadvantage to riding a bike, a disadvantage to leaving your house, to waking up in the morning, to being born! ;-)

Except for your ability to think logically, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt!
Old 05-12-11, 01:38 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haku
There has to be more to the story about the ex-CAT1 racer that is in a wheelchair now???
How so? The accident happened about 3 years ago and she has recovered to the point of being able to partially use one arm, otherwise she is chair bound. She was riding solo after a storm and was looking across an intersection for traffic, coasting around 15mph when the stick sheered her fork. It threw her face first into the ground and she was found unconscious by a passerby. She barely survived the ordeal in the hospital at the time. She continues to try to live her life to the best of her ability. The following year I rode in a fundraiser with some of her former teammates. That ride continues each year.

Here's a picture from that first fundraiser ride with her former teammates pulling me along.

BTW, those women are all in their 50s.

Last edited by BikeWNC; 05-12-11 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-12-11, 01:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cellphones, Mp3s, GPS, cycle computers, this, that and the other thing. I thought riding was to get away from all that crap......
Enjoy your surroundings, forget the rest of the crap.
Old 05-12-11, 01:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by icyclist
Disadvantage to a Garmin? You could just as easily claim there's a disadvantage to riding a bike, a disadvantage to leaving your house, to waking up in the morning, to being born! ;-)

Except for your ability to think logically, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt!
How about this?

A possible disadvantage in the use on a bicycle of a class of objects which display large amounts of data, thereby potentially distracting a rider's attention at a critical moment, a Garmin being one such member of said class? Sheesh!

Last edited by TomD77; 05-12-11 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-12-11, 03:05 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TomD77
...I'm pretty sure I was just coasting on a deserted road toward an intersection where I was going to turn around with a drink bottle in one hand while looking at the Garmin data. This is the hazy part: I saw a stick in the road, heard a tire noise and instantly was on the ground. I don't remember the transition at all...
Having a stick flip up and jam the wheel while having two hands on the grips can put you on the ground. With one hand it is almost certain.
Old 05-12-11, 03:39 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Because of the angle of the stem upon which my Garmin is mounted, the glare is so bad I can't easily see any of the data displayed, so I almost never look.

I know, when I get home, I can download it onto my computer and see all the data (and more!) from the comfort of my desk chair.

So, without really wanting to, my Garmin has made me a safer cyclist! Funny how that works.

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-12-11, 04:07 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. Garmins can have lots of data displayed, or a live updated map. The map can sometimes take 3 or 4 seconds to stop moving when the bike goes around a curve.

I'll sometimes take a much longer time looking at it, compared to checking the mph display on a regular bike computer. I need to be a lot more careful. At least I don't need to look down to switch from one screen display to the next, I just use the side buttons.
Old 05-12-11, 04:25 PM
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Cellphones, Mp3s, GPS, cycle computers,
...cameras. I'm amazed how many pictures I see from the rider's perspective. That generally implies one hand off the bars and a good chance of not seeing a rock, stick or hole. I take "moving" photos once in a while but I'm not that comfortable doing it.
Old 05-12-11, 05:03 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I have a friend that was coasting through and intersection not paying attention and picked up a stick in the front wheel. It sheered her fork and threw her to the ground. She is now a quad in a wheelchair. So, I'd say you got off lucky.
Wow that is sad. I have been sort of daydreaming and hit rocks before, little ones but avoidable ones,where they could have done damage.
Yeah you really have to pay attention all the time.
Old 05-12-11, 05:34 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomD77
How about this?

A possible disadvantage in the use on a bicycle of a class of objects which display large amounts of data, thereby potentially distracting a rider's attention at a critical moment, a Garmin being one such member of said class? Sheesh!
So I guess you'd excuse drivers who use a GPS, cell phone, etc and run into a cyclist? Pay attention to what you are doing. Don't blame technology.
Old 05-12-11, 07:34 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerBeagle
...cameras. I'm amazed how many pictures I see from the rider's perspective. That generally implies one hand off the bars and a good chance of not seeing a rock, stick or hole. I take "moving" photos once in a while but I'm not that comfortable doing it.
Good point. As a frequent offender, I am aware of the potential risk when I take photos while riding the bike. But I do minimize the risk by carefully choosing the times when I use the camera. I keep my eyes on the road, not really looking at the viewscreen, just holding the camera pointing toward the subject. I fix the rotation and cropping in processing on the computer.

This is why I don't take this kind of picture on mountain bike rides. Too risky.
Old 05-12-11, 08:08 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Not meaning to pooh pooh the concern for electronic device related distraction, but I don't really consider my Garmin any more distracting than the Polar HRM I used before. But it is not a mapping one. Note to self: be a little, no make that a LOT, more vigilant around sticks.

Glad you are okay TomD.

Last edited by billydonn; 05-13-11 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 06:31 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ctyler
So I guess you'd excuse drivers who use a GPS, cell phone, etc and run into a cyclist?
Where on earth did you get that? My mother used to have an expression she used whenever someone came up with some comment from just outer space: Speaking of totem poles---
Old 05-13-11, 06:49 AM
commuter and barbarian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Advantage me: I am technologically deficient.
Old 05-13-11, 07:00 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ctyler
So I guess you'd excuse drivers who use a GPS, cell phone, etc and run into a cyclist? Pay attention to what you are doing. Don't blame technology.
Guess I see this thread as a warning about technological distraction, and not an attempt to excuse it.
Old 05-13-11, 08:37 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by billydonn
Guess I see this thread as a warning about technological distraction, and not an attempt to excuse it.
Thanks!
Old 05-13-11, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I need to change the battery on my Cateye of course I have to look at the directions so I can reset every thing. 50+ mind don't for get, no memory for such things. As I was looking them over I saw a section that was titled "CAUTION!". The first item? "Do not concentrate on the computer while riding. Be sure to ride safely!"
Sage advice.
Old 05-13-11, 05:32 PM

Bikes: Scattante CFR Elite road bike and Schwin mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything can be distracting if you let it. We all need to keep our eyes on the road ahead. My older brother was riding in the bike lane with his head down and ran into a traffic baracade - with a sign on it that said 'Bike Lane Closed'! Let's all pay attention out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.