Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Keep Your Head On A Swivel

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok, you know I mean keep it on your neck. But, recently, in my area there has been an epidemic of people riding their cycles the wrong way on the highways and roads. One yesterday only escaped collision with my SUV because I was in the process of a lane change. He was so close I could see the color if his eyes and every detail of dress.

His expression was one of "get out of my way", not "My God! I almost got killed". So, it is a pretty good assumption he rides where he wants as a matter of habit.

I ride that road on my bike with never a problem as there are good shouilders and people really do look out for bikes. But, riding in the vehicle lane and the wrong way is not something people expect.

Even though you will not be at fault please look out for these folks since they are obviously not looking out for themselves. If nothing else it will save you a lot of paperwork and a trip to the body shop. And, it might delay the biker's demise until wisdom sets in.
Old 06-04-11, 04:56 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
We are having problems between drivers and riders up here, like starting real early this year. Then there are the few that ruin the general reputation and image for the many. Some drivers are thinking all bikers should be crammed on the bike path 15mi from here. Hopefully things will calm down a little bit in our area.
Old 06-04-11, 05:42 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's all about education. The question is how to best educate people on the fine points of sharing the road?
Old 06-04-11, 10:48 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't really have a problem with Cyclists or drivers over here but there is always the exception. I am a rider that rides because he likes it. I also want to stay alive so keep and eye open for cars and truck and give them respect--They are a lot bigger than me.

However- I have recently been around some Club racers in our area and I am not happy with their attitude. All they want is speed and don't care what the traffic is doing in front of them- They will still go as fast as they can- no matter what the conditions. I can see a big accident ocuring shortly with this group of Morons that do not even respect their own lives- let alone other people.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-04-11, 11:55 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only instance where I agree with Darwin's Theory is where it comes to survival of the fittest (smartest). Is it really a totally bad thing when stupid people take themselves out of our species' gene-pool?
Old 06-05-11, 12:28 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xizangstan
The only instance where I agree with Darwin's Theory is where it comes to survival of the fittest (smartest). Is it really a totally bad thing when stupid people take themselves out of our species' gene-pool?

Good take and I totally agree.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-05-11, 07:36 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If I hurry up, I can make this left hand turn before that light changes and that pickup truck hits me. An awful lot of cyclists think this. Unfortunately, the guy in the truck is thinking the same thing.
Old 06-05-11, 07:53 AM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xizangstan
As long as they don't take me out with them or cause me to hire a lawyer to defend myself.