Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ooooops-wham Part 2

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ooooops-wham Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 05:00 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Ooooops-wham Part 2

I had some chest pain and the hematoma on my hip from my crash last week has been getting really big, as has the bruising on my left leg. So, I went to my doctor today for a check up, and I found out that I have a separated cartilage (from my sternum) on one of my ribs. The hematoma is indeed very large, but there is no underlying trauma other than broken capillaries. However, I have to give the hematoma time to reabsorb or I risk having the thing turn to "bone", which, according to my doctor, is fairly common, especially in people my age. The cartilage will take time, up to six weeks to heal, and if I stress it, I run the risk of forming a "knot" on the cartilage, which could cause an uncomfortable "bump" in the center of my chest. Stressing it, he defined, is climbing while on the bicycle - pulling on the handlebars. Sprinting - pulling on the handlebars. And, he said, you SURE DON'T WANT TO FALL again.

He said: NO RUNNING for 3 to 6 weeks.
LIGHT RIDING for six weeks (the cartilage)

I can swim. The road rash is actually doing okay, and swimming won't bother it.

I found out while I was there just how hard it is on an athlete when you tell her SHE HAS TO STOP....
Old 07-27-11, 05:12 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Well, he could have told you worse things about your injuries. Does that help any?
No running wouldn't bother me but I'm not you.
Might be hard to resist riding hard, but think of it as a challenge.
Good luck and take it as easy as is possible.
Old 07-27-11, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time to relax for awhile.Then you will be as good as new.Seriously, in all sports if someone gets injured they are very slow to get them back.Because they must heal up or risk futher injury as your Doc. said you could do.Tone it down and you will be back soon. Not like you live somewhere the weathers going to turn to crap anytime soon.
Old 07-27-11, 05:30 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A number of years back I suffered a mountain bike accident - in falling, I landed on the bar ends (old school style mountain bike). The resulting injury accumulated into a hematoma that was epic! About the size of a large orange on the surface and accordng to an MRI went right to femur! I can tell you from experience do what the dctor tells you and allow the damn thing to heal. Otherwise can possibly cause you some serious pain (bad enough it hospitalized me!).

BTW took almost a year to reabsorb that ugly purple lump on my leg. Not a pretty sight for some time. When I was finally allowed to ride again, I had to wear an Ace Bandage around it just to just it from bouncing (and hurting).

We all get hurt and I know its hard to go easy but better easy and get well then just pushing through pain and causing other problems!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 07-27-11, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, it is hard, very hard not to do what we want to do. But, rest and rehab are necessary. The idea of rehab is easier for me this time because I'm going from not being able to walk without crutches pre-surgery to now(S+8) using a walker in public and walking around the residence, with a waddle, with no support.

I'm curious; will they let you in the pool with road rash? Or, do you have your own pool? When I had the accident no one would let me in the pool until the scabs came off.

Keep up the good attitude. There will be more accidents in the future. Physical and mental conditioning will make the difference in recovery.
Old 07-27-11, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get out of the box. What have you wanted to do (within physical reason) that you haven't had time to do in the past? Given the extra time that you'll have over the next few weeks or so, where can your thoughts take you? What friend to visit, new place to explore, books to read, new hobby to investigate....? Make some lemonade out of this.
Good luck and speedy recovery.
Old 07-27-11, 08:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After my slip in April (gosh, was it really April?) I managed 3 rides in 2 months.
Then, once I got the damage diagnosed, I was totally off the bike for 4 or 5 more weeks. Thought I was gonna die...
Nothing was more important to me than getting back on the bike... but I was patient and waited waited waited
Glad I did. Hang in there...
Old 07-27-11, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a good lesson in why, right after a crash, you should not make any decisions about whether the police should issue a ticket, foregoing medical treatment, seeing a lawyer, etc. It takes a few days, at least, to figure out exactly what damage is done to your body. When there's a crash, go to the doctor, tell the police to issue a ticket, tell your insurance you've not decided about making a claim. A week or two later, when you have a better idea how things will shake out.

I really hopes everything works out well for you, sarals.
Old 07-27-11, 09:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand and sympathize, as I'm going through the same thing. I was told yesterday I can't go back to my regular duties at work until late August, and I'm not really back on the bike yet. In the meantime, I'm working on my backlog of books and movies and trying to spend more time with friends and family. And my cat has been overjoyed that I'm home more.

Hang in there. It'll get better.
Old 07-27-11, 09:14 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sara, a few weeks seems like a long time today, but not in the long run. Reducing the long term risk should be the priority over the temporary loss of fitness. Plenty of good advice has been given by earlier posters. I've pushed recovery of injuries in my youthful days and paid the price later.
Old 07-27-11, 09:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always do this while recuperating.

https://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...k-opens-monday
Old 07-27-11, 10:10 PM
Idiot Emeritus

I thought I had dodged a bullet. I felt really good on day three, so I tried to get myself back on my training (read: fun) regimen when the ER doc specifically told me to "rest for a week". The next day I went out for a short run, and because I felt good, I pushed the run to seven miles. That evening is when my hip and leg really blew up. I did it to myself, because I thought I understood my body and I didn't listen to those who DO understand physiology. I got away with it just over one year ago, when I had major surgery, and got back on the bike one month earlier than I was told I could. I got away with that, so I thought - believed - I could again. I didn't take into account that the surgery was a known quantity, this injur(ies) was/were not. I had more wrong from the crash than I knew, I and I just made it worse.

Some people tell me I'm an inspiration. Please, don't be inspired by me - I'm stupid. Really, really stupid.
Old 07-27-11, 10:16 PM
Kip

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience. Yeah, I'd probably be anxious and overdo it following an injury. I wish for you patience, and a complete recovery.
Old 07-27-11, 10:45 PM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi Sara,

Back in 2006 I was in a head-on collision in my car (other driver's fault). The collision broke my sternum right where the seat belt crossed it. No riding for 6 weeks starting at the end of August. I told myself it was just a slightly early end to my season and a "bit" longer rest than I had planned. The time actually went by pretty quickly and before I knew it I was back on the bike. I definitely took it easy when I started riding again. Everything ended up going as well as it could have and I was racing almost as if nothing happened in 2007.

Rest and get well. There will always be a lot of races for you to target.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 07-28-11, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Repeat after me, "Patience is a virtue; I'm a virtuous person." Now repeat as many times a day as needed.

It can be frustrating, but you'll find, as Cleave did, that the time will go by faster than you think. Now the question is, what can you get yourself into for the next six weeks?
Old 07-28-11, 05:26 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
I had some chest pain and the hematoma on my hip from my crash last week has been getting really big, as has the bruising on my left leg. So, I went to my doctor today for a check up, and I found out that I have a separated cartilage (from my sternum) on one of my ribs. The hematoma is indeed very large, but there is no underlying trauma other than broken capillaries. However, I have to give the hematoma time to reabsorb or I risk having the thing turn to "bone", which, according to my doctor, is fairly common, especially in people my age. The cartilage will take time, up to six weeks to heal, and if I stress it, I run the risk of forming a "knot" on the cartilage, which could cause an uncomfortable "bump" in the center of my chest. Stressing it, he defined, is climbing while on the bicycle - pulling on the handlebars. Sprinting - pulling on the handlebars. And, he said, you SURE DON'T WANT TO FALL again.

He said: NO RUNNING for 3 to 6 weeks.
LIGHT RIDING for six weeks (the cartilage)

I can swim. The road rash is actually doing okay, and swimming won't bother it.

I found out while I was there just how hard it is on an athlete when you tell her SHE HAS TO STOP....
Well, you may be able to ride on a trainer, while things heal up, or just rest and do some stuff that you have been putting off, like read a good book, go see a movie, do some walking, take a trip....
Old 07-28-11, 05:28 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
There you go! Remember that you're an ATHLETE, you can endure anything. Heal up and come back better than before. PG
Old 07-28-11, 06:15 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always been told that good things come to those who wait!

Take it easy and follow doctor's orders.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-28-11, 08:06 AM
Idiot Emeritus

Everyone, thank you. It's been a blessing to read the words here, feel the support and even the love.

I admit to being a bit impetuous at times. I'm patient in some things, and in others not at all. Yesterday afternoon when my doctor told me the real extent of my injuries and that I needed to stop I felt like the rug had been pulled out from under me. I understood then that the microsecond I smacked that pavement had changed my little world in ways I hadn't bargained for. I was given as hard an emotional blow by my doc as that road did physically to my body.

I'm better this morning. What I've read here has been so helpful. I have come back from insult and injury before, I know I can do it. And I will. I'm going to face my competitive demon, too, and let her out of the cage. Next year I'm going to compete - not just participate! Then I can REALLY get hurt!!!

Thank you, everyone...
Old 07-28-11, 08:12 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Hang in there. Save your inspirational stories for later, when the time is right for returning to cycling and gaining back more than you lost.
Old 07-28-11, 09:16 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How is your flexibility? If you have to stay low-impact for the next few weeks, maybe take that time to work on yoga or stretching (being mindful of your injuries, of course). Improved range of motion will help you when you can ride and run again.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 07-28-11, 09:42 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
+1 for riding on a trainer. If nothing else, it keeps your knees and legs from being idle. You don't have to get up to your normal cadence and you don't have to stay on it very long. Plus you won't fall. Ask you doctor if he would approve of something like that.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the injuries being worst than anticipated. Get well soon and if you can't use the trainer, there are always plenty of other things to do in the meantime.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-28-11, 10:08 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tore an ACL about 10 years ago. Was out of commission for at least 6 months. More like a year to get back to doing things half-hard. And 1.5 years until I could really pound things the way I was used to. That was very depressing. Depression can set in with any injury/pain. Just watch out for that too. Get around people you like and enjoy other activities. Don't sit at home.

I have no conscious thought about my knee now and actually have to look at the scar to remember which knee it was
Old 07-28-11, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sarals,

Now you KNOW that you are an athelete because you are put out that you can't go out and ride. It sounds as if neither injury will have permanent effects so that is the best thing. It sounds as if you won't be off for long. So good luck and I hope you heal up fast.
Old 07-28-11, 08:14 PM
wreckrider

Bikes: cannondale carbon synapse 5/ specialized secteur elite/moto cafe sprint/ jamis steel hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanx so much for sharing. i just took a tumble 2 days ago and was more concerned for my bike than for myself. after reading ur thread i've started thinking about the big purple marks and wrecked thumb and have decided i was very lucky but i can still try and stay off the bike for a while. i'll be missing what looks like a nice ride event in matteson, illinois this sunday but waiting to see how i feel by next week i now see is the best thing. u r an inspiration, take it slow (yoga and tai chi may be an idea) heal fast and please keep on sharing.