Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

can geometry cause injury?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

can geometry cause injury?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 10:35 AM
wreckrider

Bikes: cannondale carbon synapse 5/ specialized secteur elite/moto cafe sprint/ jamis steel hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
billydonn, when i "mirrored" the two bikes i measured the length from the bars to the seats, etc.so i don't think this is the problem. that's why i was mystified as to what it could be. i'm surprised the lbs guys never mentioned the cranks when they worked on the bike. i'm guessing since i never mentioned it they didn't consider it either. in their defense i was more concentrated on getting the cockpits to match. i'm bringing her in to the shop today & will know more. i wonder if i need expensive cranks or r they all about the same??
Old 07-30-11, 10:55 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Sorry Ron, but for me, that outer chainring is just plain... ugly and really hurts the look of a nice bike.

Old 07-30-11, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Good one, 10Wheels. I know a guy who theft-proofed his bike by painting with a brush dots all over it in yellow. It looked ugly as can be, and those dots served their purpose.

Originally Posted by rosinante25
billydonn, when i "mirrored" the two bikes i measured the length from the bars to the seats, etc.so i don't think this is the problem. that's why i was mystified as to what it could be. i'm surprised the lbs guys never mentioned the cranks when they worked on the bike. i'm guessing since i never mentioned it they didn't consider it either. in their defense i was more concentrated on getting the cockpits to match. i'm bringing her in to the shop today & will know more. i wonder if i need expensive cranks or r they all about the same??
The thing is, you might not need to replace the cranks. you just need to lower the saddle slightly and measure from the pedal at the bottom of the stroke to the sitbone position on the saddle to ensure that measurement virtually matches that on the other bike. The issue then becomes knee-over-pedal spindle, hence the suggestion about the plumb bob, and as stated by others, it then becomes a matter of moving the saddle forward or back as need be.

Actually, I was expecting a bit more of a discrepancy in the crank length -- say, 165 compared with 175. A few millimetres in seat height adjustment can make a difference to knee or achilles tendon soreness... that I do know.
Old 07-30-11, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also check that your pedals are the same distance apart. Are the bottom brackets the same width?

Do you use cleats?

Last edited by FanaticMN; 07-30-11 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 07:28 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2009 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like your response Rowan. So...what are we drinking at this pub anyways?
Old 07-30-11, 08:51 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by lphilpot
I guess I'm different. I had exponentially more trouble with algebra than geometry in high school, no pun intended.
Need a two-column proof for that ...
Old 07-30-11, 09:19 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by rosinante25
rowan, i checked out the crank lengths and found that the secteur's are 172.5 and the moto's 175. this may be the solution. previously i had my lbs mirror the two bikes in fit and altho the problems diminished they were still there with the moto. i had knees and achilles injuries in the past from sports so maybe i just need the easier cranks. i'll take the bike in to the shop & c if i need to change the gearing as well along with the cranks. thanx so much guys. i hope this is it.

oh & yeah i guess geometry isn't the culprit except maybe in school.
I dunno how big a project you want right now, but I'd start with the small one of making sure the pedal to saddle top distance is the same for the two bikes, with the crank arms aligned with the seat tube. This would have you raising the saddle 2.5 mm for the bike with 172.5's. At the same time the two bikes need the same setback.

The consequences are that with the longer crank, your leg will rise an extra 5 mm at top center, with a tighter hip closure angle resulting. This can be uncomfortable, or perhaps you have enough flexibility that it's no problem.

Essentially, geometry can cause injury, but only if it requires a compromised fit - in other words, if the frame is just plain wrong for you.

Chainring, I dunno.

BTW, I've found the difference between a low saddle that causes knee pain and high enough not to cause it, can be less than 5 mm.

Last edited by Road Fan; 07-30-11 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 11:39 PM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Need a two-column proof for that ...
Well if I still had my 9th grade algebra and 10th grade geometry grades, I'd be glad to put them in two columns and prove beyond any shadow of a doubt.
Old 07-31-11, 07:28 PM
wreckrider

Bikes: cannondale carbon synapse 5/ specialized secteur elite/moto cafe sprint/ jamis steel hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will do the above. it's just that in aligning the bikes i've moved that darn saddle up & down & back & forth a hundred times and it didn't fix the problem altogether. my understanding is that the smaller crank creates a shorter pedaling circle and that many riders report that even the difference between the 175 & the 172.5 has alleviated knee and hip problems. but i will try measuring again including using the plumb line and then readjust the saddle accordingly. by then i hope to find the right crank set in case that is the last resort.
Old 07-31-11, 08:45 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Algebra just blew my mind but Geometry was a breeze...well at least until I droped the Geometry book on my foot. At that point Geometry hurt.
Old 07-31-11, 08:54 PM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Algebra just blew my mind but Geometry was a breeze
Kinda my experience as well, but I never studied either beyond the classes I had to take. Geometry seemed to be more intuitive, but I later developed an interest (if not great ability) in computer programming, which would seem to relate more to algebra, possibly. At least, I've enjoyed the logical side of what little programming I've done.

Then again, this was all more than 35 years ago and my 'revisionist' memory may be enhancing erstwhile abilities.
Old 08-01-11, 05:36 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
rosinante25, Generally riders can cope between different crankarm lengths, of course a few may not. Before spending any money, make sure that the saddle is as close as possible to the better bike's WRT KOPS. Don't adjust your saddle fore and aft to compensate for reach, change stems for that. Saddle height is adjusted for leg extension with the pedal at BDC. Adjusting the height of the saddle may require a fore and aft adjustment.

Brad
Old 08-01-11, 08:33 PM
wreckrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it took some searching but i found a set of moderately priced 172.5 fsa cranks ($70. at bikeisland.com) that work with my 9 speed chain. the rings start at 50t and altho the big ring on the bike is a 52t i understand that it should work ok. the big mystery seems to be whether i will need a new bottom bracket to go with the cranks. well so here goes. over the next few days i will be experimenting away in the basement mad scientist style measuring and plumbing, fore & afting. then i'm going to ship the moto to florida to take a week long vacation for a family get together. my family lives along the pinellas bike trail and i hope to do 5 early morning 60 milers to test the moto. if this doesn't work i'll get the new cranks. if that doesn't work is anybody interested in a 2 yr old modified red cafe sprint with drops & brand new cranks?
Old 08-02-11, 04:57 AM

rosinante25, make small changes as you adjust, sometimes just 2 millimeters or 1/16 inch at a time. This applies to fore/aft, saddle height, and to the height of the nose above the top tube (saddle tilt). If your seatpost forces you to tilt the saddle in jumps that are too big, you need to get one that microadjusts, a two-bolt type.

You're going by feel, so one of the tasks is to learn the feeling of a saddle too high/low, forward/backward, or tilted wrong nose up or nose down.

The order of adjustments should be: saddle height with saddle centered on rail clamps, incrementally move saddle fore/aft to see which direction you need an dhow much (readusting height every few adjustments to restore proper leg extension), and then saddle nose height (saddle tilt).
Old 08-02-11, 08:28 PM
wreckrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't use cleats. i ride with clips & a pair of lake cycling shoes. will measure the pedal distance & width of bottom bracket when i work on matching the bikes again. thanx everyone for the great advice. this has got to work this time. i 'd hate to give up on my moto. time will tell.