Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

And here it is!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

And here it is!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
And here it is!

It's a new 29'er Single Speed! From Bikes Direct. All in all not a bad bike. It's not the lightest, but it;s not heavy as lead either. The frame finish is very good, the wheels where pretty straight. The front wheel needed no adjustment, the rear wheel took about 10 minutes in the truing stand. The bearings, headset and both wheels, needed additional grease. What was in them was very light, and very little. The brakes are pretty basic v-brakes. The one I wanted with disks, wasn't available in the size I wanted. I can always add them later, the hubs and frame are disk ready. It took about two hours to unpack, redo the bearings, and set it up. Not too bad. I have said in the past that buying a bike from an online source, with out being able to check for size is a BIG gamble, and it is. But I have to soften that stance a little. If you can check for size at the local LBS where you buy other stuff, you'll be better informed about what size to buy. In this case I got the same size as my trek 7.5. The fit is pretty good, I'll fine tune it after a few rides. Plus the price couldn't be beat, for what it is. If I was spending more, or wanted higher quality or less weight, I'd think a lot harder about buying online, and not having the support of the LBS.
After about a 1 mile test ride, I found it is way under geared, an easy fix. And the seat may need to be replaced, it felt kind of weird. I also am sold on the 29'er idea. Bumps on the road that are usually jarring, seemed less so. It should be a nice ride on a bumpy trail.
As for the color, sorry it's not white, but I'll be safe riding during hunting season.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
29r.jpg (13.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-01-11, 12:44 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
So, you like it?
Old 08-01-11, 12:49 PM