Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Way, way, way off topic

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Way, way, way off topic

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 07:52 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Way, way, way off topic

We finally did it. We cut the cable yesterday. Got tired of paying nearly $100 a month for service when we watched maybe one or two cable programs per night average - and many of those were on PBS - which is free. When nothing was on, which was quite often, we'd watch a Netflix movie (DVD or instant).

Went to antennaweb.org to get the info on an antenna, direction to aim it, available channels, etc. The new indoor/outdoor antenna (which I put in the attic) and RG-6 cable to connect it to the TV cost less than what we'd pay for a month of cable service and we get over 40 channels. Some are Spanish language, or shopping, or kids channels but free is free.

To make this sort of bicycle related I'll say that at least we get Universal Sports so I can watch the Giro, Vuelta, and other bike races, some delayed, some live. I guess I'll have to look into Versus, CyclingTV, or some other online streaming service to watch the TdF live next July.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-02-11, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My daughter is all Netflix too. We visited them for a few days last month. After we returned, I had a day long orgy of watching Tivo'd TdF reruns.

$1,200 per year = a pretty nice +1.
Old 08-02-11, 08:12 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Sure wish some of us in the smaller TV market area had something like that. Cycling on TV amazing. After the 84 Olympics there were quite a few cycling events on, but very little now.
Old 08-02-11, 09:48 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
We don't use our TV for anything except playing DVD's. Works for us (my wife and I), but may not be good for everyone.

Rick / OCRR
Old 08-02-11, 10:41 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Still using satelite and as the UK is going Digital completely within the next few years- For some of the areas of the UK- this is the only way we can go. Cost us about $40 per month and that includes HD transmissions aswell.

But right now have the tour of Poland on the box. Don't get jealous because it is all the lower riders from the teams and a few National Polish teams that no-one has ever heard of.

EDIT
The first 3 stages have been won by the same rider in sprint finishes He rides for Skil Shimano and his name is Marcel Kittel. Compared to the rest he reminds me of Griepel in appearance and he is fast. May be a name for the future- or perhaps he is just fast up against the rest.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 08-02-11 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-02-11, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm a TV junkie. Like the CSI and Law and Order series, Fringe, This Old House, to name a few. At the new house I have a bit of a mountain between me and the Philadelphia antennae farm. Just can't seem to get many stations. So I signed up for cable; however, I went with the basic service, $13 a month. Deleted well over half the stations, just repeats. Despite the list I downloaded that shows Universal Sports as a channel, I don't have it. So antennae will stay, turned for reception of that station, as I too like to watch the Giro and Vuelta. Other shows I get thru the computer at Hulu.com.
Old 08-02-11, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, now go all the way and have no T.V. We have been without t.v. for over 2 years and love it, I did purchase the tour online.That was cool.
Old 08-02-11, 01:41 PM
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm connected via radio and the interweb. Haven't turned the tv on in months. I hardly miss it...
Old 08-02-11, 02:51 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I watch TV but at 52 years old have never owned one. I do spend too much time online sometimes.
Old 08-02-11, 04:26 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
To make this sort of bicycle related I'll say that at least we get Universal Sports so I can watch the Giro, Vuelta, and other bike races, some delayed, some live. I guess I'll have to look into Versus, CyclingTV, or some other online streaming service to watch the TdF live next July.
My best friend did exactly what you did... so to fill in the missing Tour de France, he comes to my house and watches it on Versus. All you need to do is make friends with other cyclist who have cable and then figure out a way to invite yourself over!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-02-11, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats what i have to do if i want to watch Notre Dame football, hahaha.I have to bring the beer.
Old 08-02-11, 07:20 PM

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
I have been disconnected from cable/antenna TV for 12 years now. Only Netflix through the mail and internet via aircard.

Don't miss the TV at all but love the netflix for the HBO series and such, kinda into BBC stuff right now.
Old 08-02-11, 07:22 PM
Life is good

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Nice, now go all the way and have no T.V.
Can't do that. We enjoy many of the Brit shows too much - Judge John Deed, Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, Poirot, George Gently, A Touch of Frost, Bob & Rose, Miss Marple, Jonathan Creek, Inspector Lynley, Blue Murder, Wallander, and many, many more. They're all on Netflix.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-03-11, 12:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh,ok i will have to see if i can check out a few of those online.I never heard of any of those.I have heard of Monty and Are you being served,and a few others.We did like the Red Green show.
Old 08-03-11, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by guybierhaus
Well I'm a TV junkie...
The Motto of the Couch Potato Lodge is "Art imitiates Life, but Life imitates Television."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-03-11 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 05:38 PM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I enjoy the TV and so does my wife. I can pay the bill, now, but when my job plays out in January, we may be going to free air TV.
Old 08-03-11, 05:58 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dahut
I enjoy the TV and so does my wife. I can pay the bill, now, but when my job plays out in January, we may be going to free air TV.
I would love to de satellite, but there is a ridge between me and the TV mountain antennas. I only get a couple of on-the-air channels.
Old 08-03-11, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm sticking with Netflix, despite the price increase. Love the idea that certain made-for-cable shows are available, either via streaming, or DVDs.

Lately, I've been watching "The Walking Dead".
Old 08-03-11, 11:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
We don't use our TV for anything except playing DVD's. Works for us (my wife and I), but may not be good for everyone.

Rick / OCRR
That would also be my approach.
Old 08-04-11, 12:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cable

I dumped my cable TV about a year ago. It was the best thing I ever did. I have a digital converter box, on my little TV, but the TV can go days without being on. I have my computer and I have netflix, I get Hulu for free, and I watch shows on CBS.com and ABC.com when it is convenient for me.
I love Dr. Who from the BBC. It's my favorite.

I also loved Take a Seat on Universal Sports. But I tend not to watch sports programs.

Last edited by Jazziered; 08-04-11 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Added the Take a Seat line.
Old 08-04-11, 02:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a one-time $99, the price of a month's cable bill, the Apple TV makes a really nice interface to Netflix, MLB.com, and NBA League Pass (if they were playing). If I could get Sunday Ticket on it for NFL I'd be a happy camper (DirectTV has an exclusive contract). It allows web browsing, YouTube, local computer streaming, and iTunes purchases as well. I turned my cable box in a couple of months ago.

KeS
Old 08-04-11, 06:40 AM
Life is good

Originally Posted by trackhub
I'm sticking with Netflix, despite the price increase.
Same here. I'll pay a few dollars more for something I watch every day. Not like cable where they take away a few channels and then jack up the price $14.95 and tell you you're getting more to choose from.

For those of you who don't have or know about Netflix and the other streaming services, you can get dozens of "channels" with a Roku box. Go to roku.com for the details.

Old 08-04-11, 08:46 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$100 a month for cable(like 240 channels. 40 of which are HD, including Versus), internet and telephone. I'm sticking right where I am
Old 08-04-11, 12:01 PM

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Can't do that. We enjoy many of the Brit shows too much - Judge John Deed, Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, Poirot, George Gently, A Touch of Frost, Bob & Rose, Miss Marple, Jonathan Creek, Inspector Lynley, Blue Murder, Wallander, and many, many more. They're all on Netflix.
+1 on Doc Martin..have you tried Hamish McBeth?
Old 08-04-11, 01:21 PM
Oldie but Newbie

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sprite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR

Rick / OCRR
Same in my household. No cable. No Sat. No antenna. Instead we, for quite a few years, have bought DVDs, HD-DVDs and Blu Rays of the many (many!) films we like. Several thousand in fact. Most I buy 2nd hand. We watch what we want when we want. No ads either. And when I retire in not too many years the collection will be largely complete and the cost zilch.

-don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.