Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Motivation Issues

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Motivation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motivation Issues

First some background information: I'm 58 years old, Type II diabetic, about 6' - 2" and 260 lbs. I have a fairly high-pressure job as an engineer, which includes a lot of travel for a week or two at a time.

Up until this year I was a fairly dedicated recreational bicyclist, taking a short ride (when in town) of between 5 and 10 miles a couple of evenings after work, and a longer ride of 30 to 35 miles on the weekend. Sometimes during trips, if possible, I'd take a bike with me and explore new areas when I had time. I ride exclusively on the road, and have a Trek mtb, a Surly LHT, and this year, while on an extensive long term (three month) out of town assignment in California, I bought a Motobecane Mirage to commute to work (only 5 or 6 miles each way) and to ride on weekends.

But since I've been home from California I haven't been on any of my bikes at all! For one thing it's been an extremely HOT summer, and my wife and I have been babysitting our one year old and three year old grandkids a lot (my daughter is an E.R. nurse and works a lot of nights), plus I've needed to catch up on a lot of chores around the house that were neglected because of business travel.

So, to get to the point, I am in the midst of a period of extreme lack of motivation to ride!

Anyone else ever gone through this? Any tip on how to overcome it?
Old 09-01-11, 09:57 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What I do, is I use RunKeeper. It posts my rides to my facebook page, and it sets me up with a "street team" (Facebook friends using it too). Kind of like positive peer pressure. It also "rewards" you, with Longest Duration, Longest Distance, Furthest Week, etc. So, it becomes a game.

Also, I plan weekend rides with my brother. We both make sure we both show up, to avoid the "letting down your team" mentality.

Also, Earndit.com gives you points for various activities. You can use these points to buy things, so that's another motivation.
Old 09-01-11, 10:05 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
It sounds to me like not so much a motivation issue but (on several levels) a time management issue. And it's not just you, of course, all of us are limited by this rude restriction of only 24 hr. per day!

The way I solved this problem: Moved to California (SoCal in my case). Now I'm 1,500 miles from the grandkids, hence, no grand-kid care duties (well, I do send them cards and presents on their birthdays!). I am from MO, so not far from KY and I understand the brutality of hot summer days (and nights). So, when you move to SoCal, find a place kind of near the ocean.

Anyway, now I ride to work, ride with the club on Tues. and Thur. evenings, ride in the mountains on the weekends (paved roads on my road bike sometimes, dirt roads and trails on my mountain bike sometimes) and throw in an occasional fixed gear ride on a local MUP for a bit of variety.

Yes, I realize this fits into the "Easier Said Than Done" category, but you might want to consider it. Worked for me!

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 09-01-11 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-01-11, 10:24 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retire
Old 09-01-11, 02:28 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Get yourself a kid trailer and go out and bicycle with them while you are baby sitting. If one is too big, get a tag-along. Your wife can ride and pull something, as can you. Problem solved. Take lunch, have a picnic, have a ball!
Old 09-01-11, 04:16 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
Retire
Second that. but I have motivational issues sometimes as well. I tell my self that I will feel better and probably be more active as I age if I make the effort to get exercise even when I don't feel like taking a ride.
Old 09-01-11, 04:19 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am going through the same thing now. The wife and I did the RV thing with a new great grand daughter, and was gone for 2 & 1/2 months. I did some bike ridding while gone but I fell on one of my rides and sprained an ankle. Now home I did one ride and my ankle didn't like it. Just finished painting the office and laying a new wood floor in it. Next week is the carpet. Somehow I'm to busy to ride. I just need to get my motivation going again too. I've put on some weight and am just plain lazy about ridding. I was ridding 3days a week about 60+ miles each ride, and now nothing. Maybe after the carpet I will feel more like ridding. I wish I could help the OP but I'm in the same boat.
Old 09-01-11, 05:12 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Join a club and make a few club rides as time permits.
Old 09-01-11, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take stock of yourself and your priorities. Perhaps it isn't in your best interests to overcome it. Perhaps this is a season change in your life. Perhaps your personal and family activity review will show you either need to take a vacation from riding, or even go on to something else with riding becoming something you either do casually, or not at all.

On the other hand if bicycle riding is still something key to your life the review will tell you how to make time for it.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 09-01-11 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Realize how much better you felt when riding.

Hard to remember how good you felt. No way you can feel that good now as a couch potatoe.
Old 09-01-11, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
You're a technical person. Choose some parameter, miles, calories, time etc., set some goal that is realistic and compatible with the requirements of your job, and then track your progress.

I track miles, and that keeps me motivated. I've improved every year since I started riding again, and my weight is where I want it to be.

Business travel sucks, especially if you're 6'2" (as I am) and any of that travel involves regularly scheduled airlines. Been there, done that. I loathe being herded around, inspected by Federal employees, and then jammed into an aluminum cylinder with my knees in my chin. It was difficult for me to maintain any semblance of decent eating habits while traveling. People asked me about frequent flyer miles, and I told them the very LAST thing I wanted to do was get on another commercial airliner if I didn't absolutely have to.

I digress.

You might want to start tracking something as a means of motivation.
Old 09-01-11, 09:08 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Triode
Realize how much better you felt when riding.

Hard to remember how good you felt. No way you can feel that good now as a couch potatoe.
You cant count how many times for other activities (weight training in particular) I've dragged my butt out the door with this one thought, "it will feel so good tomorrow". And it does and I'm always glad for it.

Dude, get on the bike and ride it. Beats the heck out of hanging out with the hamsters (aerobics section) at the Y.
Old 09-01-11, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I went through a motivational challenge after a little sudden stop encounter with a car Nov 2009. It took almost 10 months to recover and get back on the bike and I found the weight gain and lack of conditioning were tough to accept. I gave myself a 4 month BF ban, set up a work out routine, changed my diet and did it all long enough to make it habit.

So, for a short time, I lost my motivation. I found it again, turns out it was on a road trip with smokes, booze and broads. I can't blame it for leaving me.
Old 09-02-11, 07:24 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The final kicker that got me back on a bike was when a close friend aged 54 died in his sleep of a heart attack.

My father, and his father before him, each had their first MIs at age 55.

I am currently 55.

That's all the motivation I need.

But, what really keeps me on the bike is how good I feel--both physically and psychologically--during and after the ride.
Old 09-02-11, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For me the answer is simple.

Ride first and worry about motivation later.
Old 09-02-11, 05:06 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I have to agree with most of the posts. Get out and ride. Here is FL, we have been having some bad weather lately; lots of rain almost every afternoon. There are times when I get home from work wanting to ride and I look at the sky and say "No" and it never rains. Then I get angry at myself when getting on this forum because I should have gone out riding. It's easy to let things keep you from doing what you really want to do and you just have to find the motivator that gets you back in the groove. Today was my first good day riding since Sunday (because of all the rain) and it felt fantastic.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-02-11, 05:39 PM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tpelle
First some background information: I'm 58 years old, Type II diabetic, about 6' - 2" and 260 lbs. I have a fairly high-pressure job as an engineer, which includes a lot of travel for a week or two at a time.

Up until this year I was a fairly dedicated recreational bicyclist, taking a short ride (when in town) of between 5 and 10 miles a couple of evenings after work, and a longer ride of 30 to 35 miles on the weekend. Sometimes during trips, if possible, I'd take a bike with me and explore new areas when I had time. I ride exclusively on the road, and have a Trek mtb, a Surly LHT, and this year, while on an extensive long term (three month) out of town assignment in California, I bought a Motobecane Mirage to commute to work (only 5 or 6 miles each way) and to ride on weekends.

But since I've been home from California I haven't been on any of my bikes at all! For one thing it's been an extremely HOT summer, and my wife and I have been babysitting our one year old and three year old grandkids a lot (my daughter is an E.R. nurse and works a lot of nights), plus I've needed to catch up on a lot of chores around the house that were neglected because of business travel.

So, to get to the point, I am in the midst of a period of extreme lack of motivation to ride!

Ive gone through it. What I do is just ride for fun. I don't look outside at the weather, I don't worry about my shoes or helmet... I just get on the bike and ride. I have a fun rider just for this reason. And it DOES include a ding-a-ling bell - you cannot keep up a bad attitude when people are smiling at you and your little bell.**
I don't care where I go and I don't care where I end up, either. I just ride.

HOT is good, by the way - you were adapted to it. It beats the crap out of cold, I assure you.

** The only thing that beats this, in my experience, is a trampoline. It is universally impossible to frown when jumping on a trampoline. Maybe you should get a small one, and jump on it before you ride your bike.....

Last edited by dahut; 09-02-11 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-02-11, 05:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got rid of the computers, clipless pedals, road bars, and skinny tires. I no longer track my mileage. Riding is much more enjoyable now.
Old 09-02-11, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Just ride. Even if it's only a mile and with street clothes on. Just get out and ride. Caring for kids can be a killer, but is should never be short changed. So, shift the way you think about riding. ANY ride is better than no ride.
Old 09-02-11, 06:01 PM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
Just ride. Even if it's only a mile and with street clothes on. Just get out and ride. Caring for kids can be a killer, but is should never be short changed. So, shift the way you think about riding. ANY ride is better than no ride.
That is right!
Old 09-03-11, 09:16 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by tpelle

I find that I can easily make excuses to leave the bike in the workshop. Most of my reluctance to ride is related to putting pressure on myself to ride faster and faster. If I just tell myself to go have a good time and concentrate on something other than speed (expl.: spinning) I go out and have a pleasant ride and then find myself wanting to ride more. I've been off the bike for a week because of "Irene." So, I'm riding today no matter what.
Old 09-03-11, 09:17 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Couldn't have said it better. And didn't.