Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   ****ing bicyclist, you little **** I'm going to come over and kick your ****ing butt (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/767363-ing-bicyclist-you-little-im-going-come-over-kick-your-ing-butt.html)

LAriverRat 09-12-11 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ftwelder (Post 13212387)
I have also noticed a big increase in budweiser cans and mc donalds trash on the side of the road in support of the movement.

It pays to advertise one would think rather than putting a political bent to it.

genec 09-12-11 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by gear (Post 13215829)
I get a kick out of people who are surrounded by two tons of steel and thinking they are the baddest thing on the road while also thinking someone who is only protected by a thin layer of Lycra (and mixing it up with cars) is the timid one in the equation. Who are they kidding.

Themselves.

jim p 09-12-11 05:00 PM

Just because you are paranoid, that doesn't mean that others are not out to get you.

Wogster 09-12-11 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by gear (Post 13215829)
I get a kick out of people who are surrounded by two tons of steel and thinking they are the baddest thing on the road while also thinking someone who is only protected by a thin layer of Lycra (and mixing it up with cars) is the timid one in the equation. Who are they kidding.

Nobody, if the guy in Lycra is carrying a Luger.... :eek:

PAlt 09-12-11 06:23 PM

Rather than collect all the quotes on both sides, may I observe that recently, in various threads, including this one, there seems to be a movement toward toward "politicizing" while expressing opinions. Kinda wears me out. In this instance, stupidity against the OP isn't the single province of any one political bent, anyone is free to lay claim to it via their behavior.

CHAS 09-12-11 06:28 PM

Sick of the political campaigning already. Time to stomp it out here.

BengeBoy 09-12-11 07:14 PM

In discussing this tale w/someone at work today, I realized that this story completely confirms my "Sunday afternoon driver" hypothesis -- most of my run-ins with "nasty" driver behavior occurs on Sunday afternoons.

During the week -- when I commute to work by bike -- the roads are crowded and busy, and certainly I've had my share of close calls during the week. But during the week folks are purposeful and just trying to get to or from work for the most part. Early on weekend mornings as well -- there are early risers trying to get somewhere, and cyclists out for fitness.

But to me, Sunday afternoons are *the worst.* People are in a hurry to finish up their weekend recreation, or out showing off in sports cars or big trucks, or are well-lubricated after an afternoon of drinking.

This is another reminder to myself to get off the roads by 2 p.m. on Sundays or face the consequences.

cccorlew 09-12-11 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 13216627)

This is another reminder to myself to get off the roads by 2 p.m. on Sundays or face the consequences.

That's when you encounter folks on the way home from church.

gcottay 09-12-11 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 13215026)
Actually, in my book, I don't count being shouted at on a Sunday afternoon as "zero fuss."

The choice yours. The story reads to me as if you have allowed the shouter to take control of at least a few minutes of your time. A few years ago he could also have done that to me. Today, I have an approximately zero level of caring about loud expressions of ignorance so would just ride on and let him stew in his own pathetic life.

CrankyFranky 09-12-11 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by gcottay (Post 13216841)
The choice yours. The story reads to me as if you have allowed the shouter to take control of at least a few minutes of your time. A few years ago he could also have done that to me. Today, I have an approximately zero level of caring about loud expressions of ignorance so would just ride on and let him stew in his own pathetic life.

I kinda like that perspective, or at least a much cooler approach. Did you have any suggestions as to how to attain this level of unflappability?

I'm disturbed by what seems to be an increase in people who want to shove their particular miserableness down some stranger's throat. It's best to not react to the twisted - whatever got them there - drugs or abusive parents or just being a well practiced hater - but becoming involved with these folks does bring you down.

But I also think that someone who has the means to take a good photo of the offender to present to the authorities, that it would be doing a service to society... so I guess it's not so easy to avoid being involved at some level. Sure this is just a little creep, but he could hurt someone... or am I not supposed to care? It's an ethical dilemma.

I mean no offense - I've managed to survive encounters with a few psychos in my life and looking back remembering being drawn into the sickness of another person however briefly makes you wish not to go there again.

KDC1956 09-12-11 09:43 PM

One more reason I pack 38 when I go riding.Never know if you will need it or not.

Neil_B 09-12-11 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 13216836)
That's when you encounter folks on the way home from church.

That must be a late service. Most of them are over by noon around here. Or earlier.

Wogster 09-13-11 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Neil_B (Post 13217642)
That must be a late service. Most of them are over by noon around here. Or earlier.

The traditional church start time of 11AM, started to wane about 30 years ago, and many churches now start earlier in the morning, some as early as 9AM. Some also use double services, to save the cost of replacing a church building that has been outgrown (replacing a church building that cost $25,000 in 1900 can cost $2.5 Million now). What many do is use alternative processes for the earlier service, for example a different style of service or music, then a more traditional style at 11AM. Generally though, the yahoos that are out at 2PM on Sunday are the ones that started drinking at 2PM on Saturday and have yet to stop....

Neil_B 09-13-11 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by PAlt (Post 13216347)
Rather than collect all the quotes on both sides, may I observe that recently, in various threads, including this one, there seems to be a movement toward toward "politicizing" while expressing opinions. Kinda wears me out. In this instance, stupidity against the OP isn't the single province of any one political bent, anyone is free to lay claim to it via their behavior.

A "movement?" And "recently?" It's been a drumbeat for a few years now.

Booger1 09-13-11 02:04 PM

Daily crap,different person.

People can yell,cuss,throw a hissy fit, until they pass out or start foaming at the mouth,I don't give a rats ass...Have a Nice Day and may the flees of a 1000 camels infest your armpits......

If they confront me directly,I'll deal with it.

kr32 09-13-11 04:28 PM

I dunno, Seems to me people who yell stuff like that are wanting a reaction and you gave it to him. You pulled a u-turn and went out of your way.
If you were not doing anything thing wrong why confront someone like that?
Me....I would have have just kept on riding an thinking what an ass he was and enjoyed the rest of my ride.

Although.......having said that.......... last weekend a young lady flipped me off for no reason and I yelled F-u back at her and then kept riding as she made a turn and flipped me off again.. Felt bad about it for a few minutes but soon got back into the nice ride I was on.

Champlaincycler 09-13-11 06:32 PM

I'm with you. To turn around and chase a truck is kinda asking for it. Poster is fortunate that things did not escalate. If you were in a car and something similar happened, would you pull a uhey and give chase? I'd have given a wave and ridden on. BTW, a white GMC Pickup, single cab 2wd, 6cyl. is hot.

Dougyfish 09-13-11 09:18 PM

Report It!

I live in Los Angeles and I was an alternate juror on the "Mandeville Canyon" trial where the jury convicted an ER doctor and sent him to prison for 6+ years for pulling in front of a couple of cyclists on Mandeville Canyon road and jamming on his brakes. Turns out this wasn't the first time he pulled that kind of stunt and testimony and reports from other cyclists helped set the tone for the trial. Make a report. Give copies of the pictures to the police as part of that report. Trust me, when he crosses the line (and he will) the prosecutor will find that report and those pictures and it will help keep this guy from doing this for a while (no bikes in prison).

Dougyfish

ChasH 09-13-11 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 13216627)
But to me, Sunday afternoons are *the worst.* People are in a hurry to finish up their weekend recreation, or out showing off in sports cars or big trucks, or are well-lubricated after an afternoon of drinking.

In England, back in the day when pub opening time was 10:30 to 2 p.m. on Sundays, you definitely didn't want to be wheeling along a country road at around 2:30 p.m. The combination of "Sunday driving" and types who'd just downed their last two pints in the space of 30 min (including the second during the brief "drinking up time" after the first bell) could be lethal.

B. Carfree 09-13-11 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dougyfish (Post 13222802)
I live in Los Angeles and I was an alternate juror on the "Mandeville Canyon" trial where the jury convicted an ER doctor and sent him to prison for 6+ years for pulling in front of a couple of cyclists on Mandeville Canyon road and jamming on his brakes. Turns out this wasn't the first time he pulled that kind of stunt and testimony and reports from other cyclists helped set the tone for the trial. Make a report. Give copies of the pictures to the police as part of that report. Trust me, when he crosses the line (and he will) the prosecutor will find that report and those pictures and it will help keep this guy from doing this for a while (no bikes in prison).

Dougyfish

All well and good for you, but in the PNW my experience is most cops won't take a report unless there is $1000 damage or an ambulance ride. I kind of miss living amongst more professional police forces.

DX-MAN 09-14-11 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jebbesen (Post 13212706)
F him, I would have done over to his truck and ask him to repeat himself. Of course I bigger than your average bear :) and a bit crazy.

I guess riding on trails I miss all this excitement.

Beat me to it.

Doohickie 09-14-11 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Neil_B (Post 13212752)
Evidence to support your claim?

Um.... he said, "I think." It's just conjecture, and I took it as tongue-in-cheek.

Good point. Is there any way to know what this guy's political leanings are? Maybe he just belongs to his own Ass Hole Party Of One.

Originally Posted by Neil_B (Post 13217642)

Over by noon, then 15-30 minutes of gab in the narthex, then lunch... yeah, 2 pm is about right.

wnl256 09-14-11 01:50 PM

Two words: helmet cam.

Or is that one word?

CB HI 09-14-11 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Doohickie (Post 13225774)
Good point. Is there any way to know what this guy's political leanings are? Maybe he just belongs to his own Ass Hole Party Of One.

I am pretty sure only democrats use meth.

MNRon 09-14-11 02:14 PM

Thank you... I totally agree.