Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Please Let Me Know You're Going to Pass Me!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Please Let Me Know You're Going to Pass Me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-11, 12:24 AM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by moth54
I need, ideally, a little bit of road room - and above all, I NEED A WARNING. PLEASE!
No, please don't announce that you're about to pass me! You might yell, "On your left!" but what I hear is, "BRAAP!" By the time I've checked my mirror for an unknown hazard and managed to parse what you said, you're 50 feet ahead of me. It's annoying and completely unnecessary. A bell would be more useful, but for a normal pass, even that isn't needed.

I have a mirror and constantly scan for potential hazards or conflicts with other road users, including those behind me. I strive to be predictable and not make random, unexpected moves. I try not to deviate from my line without first checking my mirror and glancing over my shoulder. The fact that there's a bike approaching behind you should not come as a surprise.
Old 09-14-11, 04:59 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I find that when people say "on your left," they are often so close that it really startles me and it causes me to swerve a little. I would rather have them make some noise as they approach. I say "passing" most of the time, but my preferred approach is to pass so far to the left that they couldn't hit me if they tried. Cyclists should really either get a mirror or practice looking over their shoulder while holding a line. When a rider that hasn't practiced looks over their left shoulder, they go left. And saying "on your left" almost always gets a look for some reason.
Usually when someone says "on your left", all you hear is "left", this is because your brain needs to figure out that someone is talking and that they are talking to you. When all you hear is a command like "left", which way are you going to go? Most likely, left.
Old 09-14-11, 05:37 AM

Bikes: Rans Fusion, Rans Cruz, '93 Specialized Stumpjumper, "72 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ro-monster
I have a mirror and constantly scan for potential hazards or conflicts with other road users, including those behind me. I strive to be predictable and not make random, unexpected moves. I try not to deviate from my line without first checking my mirror and glancing over my shoulder. The fact that there's a bike approaching behind you should not come as a surprise.
This is, of course, the best method to avoid accidents. If it wasn't obvious before, the varied responses & attitudes this thread has received should convince most that trying to figure out what the mindset/capabilities/reactions etc. of another cyclist might be at any given time is pure conjecture. Your best defense is your own precautionary awareness..... which would necessitate, IMO, a mirror. I feel naked & vulnerable without one, as I would in a car sans mirrors.
Old 09-14-11, 06:24 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Well, when I ring my very loud bell and there is no response, and then I yell, "Passing" just behind them, and finally get some sort of response, I figure they could not hear me - and these are the folks wearing the ear pieces, not the other folks. So, I don't know about your situation, but I know what happens around here. Maybe its the altitude???
No, it's the people. Some people can ride/run/walk while listening to other things, some can't. On a MUP, I'd bet the majority fit into the can't camp.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-14-11, 07:24 AM

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by TheHen
In the state I am currently residing in (OR), a vehicle being passed may not take any action to impede being passed. Veering into the path of an overtaking cyclist would put you legally at fault.

In places with very few cyclists, which covers almost all of America today, it is easy enough to call out passing. However, as the number of cyclists increases it gets kind of ridiculous. I have been in places where if I called out for every bike I passed my throat would be raw within minutes. Because of the speed differential, many bells are all but inaudible from the distance I would be required to ding them and who wants to hear airzounds on the bike paths? Cyclists really need to learn to hold their lines and pay attention for overtaking traffic. That doesn't remove the responsibility for those doing the passing to do so safely, but it doesn't make any more sense to expect audible warnings from overtaking cyclists (beyond the usually audible noise of their tires on the road) than it does to expect passing motorists to honk their horns prior to overtaking.

Of course, if our bike paths were built to a proper width, there would be much more room to pass.

A good rule ..but does it apply to a bicycle when the rider is not aware he is about to be passed?

BTW, I couldn't agree more about the lanes needing to be wider. On my favorite stretch of road there are often cars parked in the bike lane, which adds to the fun I can tell you.

Mike
Old 09-14-11, 07:26 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I say "passing" most of the time, but my preferred approach is to pass so far to the left that they couldn't hit me if they tried.
+1
If most passing riders gave plenty of clearance rather than zooming by inches away, this thread probably would not have been started.
Old 09-14-11, 09:47 AM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
I say "Stay" from my velodrome instincts and then look at them, smile and say either "Good Morning or Good Afternoon" as I zip by.
Old 09-14-11, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p
Become a squirrel. Ride like you are totally out of control and you will be given all the room and warnings that you want.
That might actually be good advice. I recall being on a ride. There was one stretch of road that was two lane with high speed traffic that passed pretty close. I generally feel pretty confident on roads but the close passing on that stretch was pretty unpleasant. I mentioned that fact to another rider at the end of the day. He said that he just rode intentionally erratically. He said that all of the drivers gave him a wide berth on passing.
Old 09-14-11, 10:38 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by tony2v
I say "Stay" from my velodrome instincts and then look at them, smile and say either "Good Morning or Good Afternoon" as I zip by.
I do not use a mirror but use the technique I learned racing at the velodrome. I turn my head to touch my chin to my shoulder while keeping my shoulders square to the direction of travel. I use the peripheral vision to look behind.

Where my wife and I cycle, we have a lot of cyclists on the road as well as cars. I pass and get passed by cyclists all the time. Racing at the track, requires one to have a keen sense of the surroundings, to be predictable and hold ones line. We read the situation several moves ahead. This is much like driving on the freeway and watching your distance to the car in front while assessing the speed and movement of cars well ahead while knowing what is behind.

If I am riding with someone and we are about to pass another cyclist, I assess the capability, speed and position of the other cyclist long before I am going to pass. If I see two people riding side by side talking or wobbly riding, I warn the other riders with me. I time the traffic and pass at a wide margin at a speed differential so I am past them quickly. I do not cut in front of them too quickly.

If there is a lot of traffic and a wobbly rider, I will approach, stay back and say passing to see what happens. If the cyclists holds the line, I will pass quickly.

Most cyclists that pass me do not say anything and I am very happy with that. If they say hi, I always respond.

The other point when I pass is that I am not interested in picking up cyclists that I do not know that want to draft. I approach a cyclist and keep a couple of bike lengths back. I accelerate rapidly and pass at a wide margin. Now, I have a couple of bike lengths on the passed rider and I am going faster. If the cyclist I just passed, had any idea of drafting me, he/she will have to increase speed and bridge up to me. This will take a lot of power. Most cannot bridge up.
Old 09-14-11, 10:47 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tony2v
I'm always tempted to say "Hold your course!" from my sailing days.
Old 09-14-11, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I don't know whether it's that my bike is noisy or if I'm sensitive to the noise of the wind, but I've had several times where I got passed by a bike I didn't know was there. Only a few times has it been an issue, mainly when someone I passed apparently decided to suck my wheel until I get stuck behind a slower person (ped or cyclist) and try to pass them as the wheel sucker has decided to pass me. My saying on your left or ringing my bell to the person in front of me apparently doesn't alert them that now would be a bad time to pass me.

Old 09-14-11, 12:17 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
There are times I won't call out. A novice rider riding erratically by himself for example - I'll wait till it's clear and plenty of space, but I don't necessarily trust his judgement in the situation. I don't want him to react at all so I'll just pass.

Experienced riders who've already seen me don't often get my call-out either. If the cyclist looks even a little sketchy or unaware I will call out. Maybe I'm wrong but I think unnecessary warnings are annoying.
Old 09-14-11, 12:27 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As long as you don't hit/brush me as you go by, or are doing 30+ when I'm doing 16, we're cool.

Several years ago, before I carried repair tools, I caught a flat, and had to walk the bike home from downtown. I heard the ringing bell of a local recumbent rider -- when he was a mere two feet from me; traffic drowned out his near-incessant ringing until he got that close. I wasn't happy, but it wasn't his fault, or mine.

I do, however, follow the admonishment published by the local greenway network group, to ALWAYS call out before passing someone, and do it reasonably. From about 30 feet or so, after slowing some, I'll call out, "COMIN' AROUND!" It works.

Of course, there are areas where the path is so wide, no callout is necessary.

Streets? Never an issue, I never really pass anybody; not fast enough on my fat tires to pass the packs of roadies I see about 2-3x/month, and only about 10 other people in town commute by bike, it seems.
Old 09-14-11, 08:04 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I pass you without advance warning consider it a compliment. If you were not holding a good line, seemed otherwise sketchy on your riding skills or were riding at a snail's pace I would have polluted the sonic atmosphere with a loud "On your left."
Old 09-15-11, 07:11 AM
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 203 Posts
There's a big difference between someone who rides as if they are going somewhere and deviates for the odd obstacle and someone who wanders around on the trail , rides on the wrong side on blind corners and looks as if they could do a u-turn at any moment. If I'm about to dodge an obstacle I glance over my shoulder - it's all about taking responsibility for your own safety and not leaving it in the hands of others. Advance warning depends on the situation. If the trail is wide and the person is holding a good line there's no need.
Old 09-15-11, 08:16 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
One day on the area's MUP there were a group of bike mom's who rode up front of their offspring. So I approached very slowly trying to strategize a method for picking my way through (they thought it was some sort of private sidewalk). I followed close behind after clipping down about 6 gears saying, "on your left". No change. I repeated it louder, "on your left"....still no change. So as I came closer I hollered "ON YOUR LEFT". They about crapped a christmas turkey, started yelling at me about scaring them. I told them to pay attention to others.

That was the day I drastically cut back on using that very nice, scenic 13mi stretch of path.
Old 09-15-11, 09:31 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
One day on the area's MUP there were a group of bike mom's who rode up front of their offspring. So I approached very slowly trying to strategize a method for picking my way through (they thought it was some sort of private sidewalk). I followed close behind after clipping down about 6 gears saying, "on your left". No change. I repeated it louder, "on your left"....still no change. So as I came closer I hollered "ON YOUR LEFT". They about crapped a christmas turkey, started yelling at me about scaring them. I told them to pay attention to others.

That was the day I drastically cut back on using that very nice, scenic 13mi stretch of path.
Ha. The Capital Crescent Trail from DC to Bethesda is like that. Most users are sensible but I will occasionally run into a gaggle of Bethesda mom's spilling across both lanes. Some of them act like you should just follow at their speed - very rude but entertaining.
Old 09-15-11, 09:45 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
A little common sense would go a long way here. Don't pass other cyclists too closely. If there is auto traffic, wait till it passes, then pull out into the lane and give the cyclist being passed plenty of room. I always thought it was simple bicyclist courtesy to announce that you are going to pass someone. I do it loudly and from a long distance away if I am on a bike without a bell. I find that a bell works well. I have this tiny thing called an incredibell that works well. Safety first should dictate the proper behavior in any passing situation.
Old 09-15-11, 11:58 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL

I really don't care if the mommies were scared, I just hope you didn't frighten the children. Long ago there was the concept of "kiddie right-of-way", which meant we adults were supposed to take extra care to allow children to be children and to not put them at risk or intimidate them just because they weren't behaving like responsible adults. I would hope we can bring that back, at least on the bike paths. I am always happy to see children on the bike path and will gladly slow to their speed for as long as it takes me to find a safe and pleasant way to pass, even if it means I get to do a bit of cyclocross.
Old 09-15-11, 12:02 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by TheHen
I really don't care if the mommies were scared, I just hope you didn't frighten the children. Long ago there was the concept of "kiddie right-of-way", which meant we adults were supposed to take extra care to allow children to be children and to not put them at risk or intimidate them just because they weren't behaving like responsible adults. I would hope we can bring that back, at least on the bike paths. I am always happy to see children on the bike path and will gladly slow to their speed for as long as it takes me to find a safe and pleasant way to pass, even if it means I get to do a bit of cyclocross.
The children knew I was there....it was the cackling hens up front that were oblivious to the matter. And you'd think they would keep a better eye on the little ones.
Old 09-15-11, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Children and dogs are unpredictable roadusers and we have to be very cautious around them. Grownups I expect to behave pretty rationally when they know there are others they have to share the road with. I go for a swift passing without warning.
Old 09-15-11, 01:59 PM
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 203 Posts
One trail I use includes a bridge over the subway line (at the surface in this location). People with kids and dogs wait for a train to pass under the bridge. When it comes along the kids wave and the train driver often gives a "toot" and both kids and dogs go crazy, running from one side of the bridge to the other as the train passes underneath. You have to be ready for that.
Old 09-15-11, 05:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"On your left" is just common sense. I've gone down when someone veered into the "passing" lane. They had ear buds and couldn't hear me anyway. Not the way I wanted to test my helmet. If I'm doing 20 mph or better I want you to know I'm coming. I started wearing a mirror on my glasses and I feel a lot better seeing what's running up behind me.
Old 09-15-11, 07:56 PM

Bikes: Trek multi-track 720

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have said "on your left" as I passed others and scared the s#$t out of them. I think most riders who have not done a group ride, like a century, have not learned to do this. I learned it on either a Diabetes ride or the MS 150 I did years ago. If a rider or a pedestrian does not know/understand the idea, all it serves is to scare the poo out of them!

While I would like a cyclist who is about to pass me at wharp speed to yell passing or on you left; I would also like it if cars would lay the heck off the horn! I have had people who are a foot and a half behind me beep their stupid horn; which make me jump; the only good thing is I am right handed and I usually move right and not left. While I do not have the best hearing I usually know they are there unless the wind is really bad!! Mirrors and motor noise are a dead give away that there is a "car back!"
Old 09-15-11, 08:30 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by plodderslusk
Children and dogs are unpredictable roadusers and we have to be very cautious around them.
My wife has said (repeatedly) that she would rather take a fall -- or, in all seriousness, a major body-threatening crash -- than hit a dog.

...but she'll take out a kid in a heartbeat. F**k those rugrats. That's why I love her!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.