Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

31 Days

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 03:34 PM

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
31 Days

As you can tell from my Joined Date that I'm new around here and don't post much. But I wanted to share this and maybe brag a bit.

14 months ago I got back on a bike since my teenage years. Reason? Health since I was for the first time in my life just over 200lbs looking 50 squarely in the face and exercising bores me to tears. What I hadn’t planned on was all of the fun that I was about to have, just like in my teenage years.

Today I’m a solid 20lbs lighter. I can ride for hours and miles on end without feeling like I’m sucking wasps and walking on legs made of noodles. My 7.3 mile commute to work can now be done in under a half hour if I push it but for the most part takes under 35 minutes including the stop at the store for my daily quart of chocolate milk. I’ve up the n+1 factor from 1 to 3 with the latest addition being a 2009 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 5 105. Total mileage from all 3 bikes has just passed the 3,000 mark.

What started out to be to see if I can hit 400 miles in the first 31 days of owning this bike turned in to seeing if I could hit 500 miles in that time. Had I not rode the 1996 Cannondale H600 (photos in another post here) the long way home from work one day last week I might have made it. Can you tell I'm really enjoying this bike?

Other than the seat I really like this bike.

I was oh so close...

So what's next? I'm going to try and commute through the snow all this winter on bike #3 once I get some different tires on it. This should prove a new learning experience. Any tips?

fasthair

Last edited by fasthair; 09-27-11 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-25-11, 03:56 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thats a nice bike! I like the wheels. I can't offer any tips on riding in the snow; living in southeast Texas we don't get much. Whats wrong with the seat?
Old 09-25-11, 04:11 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Great job! Nice bike. I agree, cycling makes you feel you young.
Old 09-25-11, 04:26 PM

Thanks teachme,

The saddle fits me fine in the "sit bone" department and I don't have a problem with that. It's the nose of the saddle that has a "little bump/hump", for lack of a better word, that cause my man parts to go numb after about 20 minutes. I'm going to try and tilt the front of it down one notch and see if that helps.

This bike was my piggy bank bike. After seeing one like it at the LBS that was too big I looked on Ebay and found this one. The wheels even had brand new Michelin's mounted on them. My LBS is a Cannondale dealer and was impressed with the bike when I took it in to them for a once over. They commented the wheels were a $250.00 upgrade and that the bike looked brand new. Not a mark anywhere other than on the cranks from normal shoe marks. For 960 bucks I couldn't be happier.

fasthair
Old 09-25-11, 04:38 PM

Thanks BigAura, you've got some nice looking bikes too. Can't say I felt young the first time I skinned my knee on bike #3 within the first few weeks of getting back on

fasthair

Last edited by fasthair; 09-25-11 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-25-11, 05:16 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's the nose of the saddle that has a "little bump/hump", for lack of a better word, that cause my man parts to go numb after about 20 minutes.

Oh yeah... That is a VERY important concern. Tilting the nose down may help,but they make saddles that are a little more "private parts" friendly.
Old 09-25-11, 05:37 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 349 Times in 227 Posts
3 bikes in 14 months? You're off to a good start!
Old 09-25-11, 06:13 PM

teachme I've got one of these on the hybrid that is a great saddle. All of my parts are happy on this.

https://www.serfas.com/product_details.asp?ID=6

This one looks like a nice candidate.

https://www.serfas.com/product_details.asp?ID=61

JanMM... that made me LOL

fasthair
Old 09-25-11, 08:59 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Good job! It doesnt get easier, you just go faster (Greg Lemond)
Old 09-26-11, 12:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't say which part of this fair world you live in but there is a winter riding sub-forum which might have answers for your questions.
Old 09-26-11, 05:15 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fasthair
As you can tell from my Joined Date that I'm new around here and don't post much. But I wanted to share this and maybe brag a bit.

14 months ago I got back on a bike since my teenage years. Reason? Health since I was for the first time in my life just over 200lbs looking 50 squarely in the face and exercising bores me to tears. What I hadn’t planned on was all of the fun that I was about to have, just like in my teenage years.

Today I’m a solid 20lbs lighter. I can ride for hours and miles on end without feeling like I’m sucking wasps and walking on legs made of noodles. My 7.3 mile commute to work can now be done in under a half hour if I push it but for the most part takes under 35 minutes including the stop at the store for my daily quart of chocolate milk. I’ve up the n+1 factor from 1 to 3 with the latest addition being a 2009 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 5 105. Total mileage from all 3 bikes has just passed the 3,000 mark.

What started out to be to see if I can hit 400 miles in the first 31 days of owning this bike turned in to seeing if I could hit 500 miles in that time. Had I not rode the 1996 Cannondale H600 (photos in another post here) the long way home from work one day last week I might have made it. Can you tell I'm really enjoying this bike?

Other than the seat I really like this bike.

I was oh slow close...

So what's next? I'm going to try and commute through the snow all this winter on bike #3 once I get some different tires on it. This should prove a new learning experience. Any tips?

fasthair
I just turned 50, just dropped below 200lbs for the first time in nearly 20 years, so I hear ya. Dump the chocolate milk, chocolate is very bitter and to counteract the bitterness they put a lot of sugar in it, that means a lot of empty calories you don't really want.

Snow tires? That depends on the kind of snow you get, if it's soft sticky stuff and temps drop just below freezing, then ordinary MTB tires are usually sufficient, but you want them as wide as possible, if they will fit 2.25" (57mm) would be good. If it's the hard packed stuff that turns to ice at the first opportunity, then go with a studded tire, same if you get a lot of ice, especially black ice. If you get much of the hard granular graupel type snow, then there really isn't much you can do, it's like riding on microscopic ball bearings that are in an oil bath. Mind you, when you get an accumulation of that stuff, you really shouldn't drive a car on it either.
Old 09-26-11, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
. . . Reason? Health . . . What I hadn’t planned on was all of the fun that I was about to have, just like in my teenage years . . . Any tips?
Tips? Only one.

Keep the fun going!
Old 09-26-11, 09:49 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2, 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a very similar story to yours. I weighed 250+ at 6'-2" and 51 years old. I was unhappy, slothful and bored silly trying to find ways to work out. I'm now 204.6 as of this morning's weigh-in and a hell of a lot happier!! Cycling, both mtn and road has lifted me out of my doldrums and made me a better man both inside and out! I'm smiling a lot more than I used to!
Old 09-26-11, 03:47 PM

OldsCOOL, Don't I know that! When I first got back on I was working hard and suffering at just 7-8mph. With in a month I had got to 11-12mph. When I got the 1996 H600 that jumped to 14-15mph just from fact the bike was a better bike that rode easier and rolls even better the road bike. With the road bike I'm running 18-19mph on the flats pretty comfortably.

overhtehillmedi, I live smack dab in the middle of Iowa. So I see every possible type of winter conditions. I guess I should have phrased my any tips question to address tires and the bike's needs. I was out last winter before the snow hit and had the RD freeze up so I'm trying to avoid those kinds of issues this year. I'm known as crazy around here for riding my Harley until the snow flies so I know how to deal with the cold. Some of that gear will transfer over to the bike quite nicely. I did have a gander in the Winter forum real quick and found some things that will help on the bike end of things. Thanks

Wogster, But but but.. the chocolate milk is my recovery drink Bike #3 came with 2.25" tires that I changed out for 1.75" because of flat issues caused by the tire. There is plenty of room for a MTB type tire for sure. One things I've come to terms with is I will need fenders too which will be no problem because the bike is set up for them, I just don't care for the looks... sigh. I'm a auto mechanic by trade so I understand tires and snow. My concern with studded tires is on dry streets. I hate to think I need two sets of wheels and tires to get through the winter. I'm going to go talk to my LBS and see what kind of advice they will have on this subject. Thanks.

gcottay, Thanks. I'm trying to keep the fun going which is why I wanted to try and see if I can continue to commute in the winter. As a kid I remember the snow always being fun because you could slide and spin around. I was always daredevil on bikes as a kid when you crashed it didn't hurt as much. Now though not so much. I remember the first time I hit about 25mph going down hill after getting back on and thinking "please Lord don't let me crash!"

Vertigoflyer, Nice to hear your story too. I've always been a pretty happy person so not much has changed in that regard. However health wise I am defiantly happier about that! Congratulation on the new weigh in. Sub 200 is just around the corner. A few extra laps around the block will get you there. Keep up the great work!

fasthair
Old 09-26-11, 04:22 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Thanks BigAura, you've got some nice looking bikes too. Can't say I felt young the first time I skinned my knee on bike #3 within the first few weeks of getting back on

fasthair
Well...when was the prior time you skinned your knee?
Old 09-26-11, 08:10 PM

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Hey, I really like your bike. I have the Synapse 6 alloy that I got back in febuary and have been really enjoying it. I have a problem with the saddle that came on mine, that is, there is a seam on each side of it that is wearing out my riding shorts. So I am saddle searching myself. I can`t help you with snow tires because it doesn`t snow where I live.
Old 09-27-11, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by BigAura
Well...when was the prior time you skinned your knee?
Can't say it was the skinned knee that hurt so much per say as much as it was the 3 foot fall and tumble that accompanied the skinned knee!

fasthair
Old 09-27-11, 09:44 AM

Vaportrail56, Ah yes the seemingly never ending search for the perfect saddle. The Synapse is a pretty nice road bike and as I said I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I'll be thinking about you and wondering what kind of sunny day you are enjoying the first day I'm slogging through the snow this winter

fasthair
Old 09-27-11, 12:15 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine is a different story. 'Friends' of mine invited me up for a nice, friendly bike ride in Western Maryland. The rest of the story is a new set of friends...
Well, that's a lie. I'm doing a nice, friendly ride in Eastern Md next month with them. Why do I still keep these friends around.
Old 09-28-11, 01:50 PM

bigbadwullf, I wish I had friends like that. Yesterday I get a text... oh forgot to tell you we are riding to Cummings (yes it's a real town here in Iowa) we'll wait for you if you want. I replied right away saying sure thing I'll be there soon. The next reply had me going WTF... oh we are almost there already. I meant we'll wait for you there. Sigh... I need new friends.

fasthair

Last edited by fasthair; 09-28-11 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 06:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!

I too had an existentiadilemmama - bike riding or fully functional man parts. The numbness of my otherwise comfortable seat was getting to me.

I went with an ISM Adamo Road saddle about 1000 miles ago. Problem solved.

Happy pedaling.

MongoEric
Old 09-29-11, 01:14 PM

MongoEric, Of the three bikes I have this is the only one that does this to me. At first I wasn't sure what was going on and was quite surprised to have it happen. Last night was the last straw for that miserable saddle. Just 10 minutes into my weekly 40 mile steak night ride I was feeling the pain and was just fed up with it.

Today I went out and bought the one I linked earlier. So time will tell. The thing I like about Serfas is the 90 day money back if you don't like the saddle.

fasthair
Old 11-04-11, 11:53 AM

Just a quick update. Had the new saddle for a month now and it's just a big thumbs up. All the pain is gone it's comfortable, cool feeling and looking, I'm a happy camper. Oh and I hit the 1000 mile mark last night too! Did I say I was having fun on this bike yet?

fasthair
Old 11-04-11, 01:30 PM
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Liked 98 Times in 31 Posts
Wooo hoooo!!!.....another Synapse driver. I have the same model in a 2011 and absolutely love it. I have not put on as many miles as i would have hoped, but that WILL change next season. Oh yeah, what saddle did you change to?

Welcome aboard,

Brian J.

― Bruce Lee
Old 11-04-11, 02:16 PM

baj32161: This is the seat I went with...

This bike is just the perfect bike for me. Since I'm in this forum I'm not as flexible as I was in my younger days and this bikes relaxed geometry fits me perfect. I'm still amazed at how smooth this bike rides on those tiny skinny 23s.

Got a photo of yours somewhere on here? Would love to see it.

fasthair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.