Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Back on the upright bike a bit

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 03:46 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A couple of years ago, I had to stop riding my two "upright" / traditional bikes due to significant pain in my right thumb and left wrist. Whenever there was constant pressure on either one for more than about 5 minutes, it would flare up.

I was fine on my recumbent and my Electra commuter, where the upright riding position and swept back handlebars keep most of the pressure off.

About a month ago, I decided to take my Fuji Absolute 1.0, which is a fairly high level fitness hybrid, out for a spin. I hadn't notice much pain in my wrist for a while, so I wondered if I might be able to ride for a while. Didn't go far, about 8 miles, but I was fine.

Over the past month I've had it out 3 more times. Just on 15-20 mile rides. I take 2 ibuprofen before riding, as that helps keep down the swelling and pain in my thumb. The rides all went well. It was really fun to be back on this bike, as it is my lightest, fastest bike. And it has such a smooth ride. I do have extra cushy, ergonomic grips and bar ends on, which help.

I thought I might never ride it much again, but now I plan to keep it in my rotation.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 10-24-11 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! Those Ergon-type grips really help, imo. Gloves helped me as well. No more pain.
Old 10-24-11, 03:58 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, gloves do help a bit. I went through a couple dozen different types of gloves, to find the one that had the best padding over a particular spot at the base of my thumb. Most gloves have no padding at the spot where my pain originates.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-24-11, 04:21 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Great to see you posting again, Tom Bomb!

Glad to hear that you are able to enjoy another part of your stable. I remember the long process you went through choosing just the right bike. Don't be a stranger.
Old 10-24-11, 04:38 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I thought you had ridden your 'bent off into the Wisconsin sunset, such as it is. Great news about the DF - in the meantime I have bought a 'bent - just for fun - still ride the DF's.

I am very glad you are posting again.
Old 10-24-11, 04:54 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Great to see you posting again, Tom Bomb!

+1
Old 10-24-11, 05:44 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
+1
+1 , n+1
Good to have you post today Tom.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-24-11, 05:49 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
See if you can find a pair (or more!) of these anti-vibe gloves from Carhartt.
https://www.constructiongear.com/carh...skin-a254.html
(Note: they 're discontinued but you might find some online or a local store. They make great cycling gloves!)

I have issues with damage to my ulnar nerve that isn't going away and these bad boys ,along with my upright posture and high handle bars, make it possible to ride with no pain or discomfort at all !!!

Good luck on your search.........

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 10-24-11, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome back, T-Bomb.
Old 10-24-11, 07:09 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Yes, gloves do help a bit. I went through a couple dozen different types of gloves, to find the one that had the best padding over a particular spot at the base of my thumb. Most gloves have no padding at the spot where my pain originates.
Yeah, I used to be on a Quest for the Perfect Gloves, when I was riding flatbar hybrids.
Any old gloves, or no gloves at all, are OK when you ride on the dark side.
Good to see you can go from Dark to Light and back again, as you wish.
Old 10-25-11, 10:57 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the welcome messages. I have been away for a while. May not be a regular again, but hope to check in now & then. This year has been a very hectic one.

My favorite ride is still my RANS Stratus, but it's difficult to transport with my compact cars. I don't use gloves with it at all and can ride for hours.

Good to see some of my old 50+ friends still posting.

Old 10-25-11, 10:59 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of course, if whatever was wrong with my wrist hadn't healed, the gloves wouldn't be the solution. I had tremendous pain in my left wrist anytime I applied pressure to it for a while. Had an MRI and they found nothing. Was told that it was a "roughage" in the joint.

Apparently it went away, or at least subsided.

Old 10-25-11, 11:33 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Welcome back, T-Bomb.
+1

I checked and re-checked the posting date to be sure it wasn't an old post. Welcome back

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-25-11, 12:09 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought you had ridden your 'bent off into the Wisconsin sunset, such as it is. Great news about the DF - in the meantime I have bought a 'bent - just for fun - still ride the DF's.

I am very glad you are posting again.
Not to hijack a thread or anything, but I'm shopping for a 'bent as well. What kind of bike did you settle on? If you've already posted about it, I'll try to track it down rather than make you write everything twice.
Old 10-25-11, 12:46 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Not to hijack a thread or anything, but I'm shopping for a 'bent as well. What kind of bike did you settle on? If you've already posted about it, I'll try to track it down rather than make you write everything twice.
Posted here and in the recumbent forum. A Sun Super Cruiser bought "just for fun and variety" at $350.00.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=sun+recumbent

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-25-11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-25-11, 12:46 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
+1

I checked and re-checked the posting date to be sure it wasn't an old post. Welcome back
Did the Same

You were missed Tom. Keep posting.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 10-25-11 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-25-11, 01:41 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Denver, which Sun did you get? That thread says it was an EZ-1 Super Cruiser, but in this thread you are saying it is a Sun Easy Rider. Those are two different bents. One of my bents is the Sun EZ-Rider, which has a shock absorber in the frame, and uses somewhat high end components, like SRAM X.9 derailleurs and Avid BB disc brakes.

Old 10-25-11, 02:55 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Posted here and in the recumbent forum. A Sun easy-rider bought "just for fun and variety" at $350.00.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=sun+recumbent
Thanks for the link. It is a veritable cornucopia of information which I desperately need. I have my eye on a Bachetta Giro ATT, which is the only 'bent I've ridden so far. I liked it. Wish it were not so pricey.
Old 10-25-11, 04:23 PM
Banned.

Denver, which Sun did you get? That thread says it was an EZ-1 Super Cruiser, but in this thread you are saying it is a Sun Easy Rider. Those are two different bents. One of my bents is the Sun EZ-Rider, which has a shock absorber in the frame, and uses somewhat high end components, like SRAM X.9 derailleurs and Avid BB disc brakes.
Oops!!

As you noticed, I am not an expert on bents. Super Cruiser - the plain jane model
Old 10-25-11, 04:52 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
... Had an MRI and they found nothing. Was told that it was a "roughage" in the joint.
I've got similar issues, but with my left ankle/right knee. Doctors all shrug, say "you're getting older...". It comes in waves, for weeks at a time, then subsides, but never goes away. Eat "vitamin I", stay off pressure points and aggrivating motions, still not much relief. Odd thing is for me, even though these things hurt and hurt a little more when I use them, overall I still find it better to not avoid the motions. Oh well...
Keep on checking in, Tom! As a member of the AWOL brain club, we need all the help we can get.
Old 10-26-11, 11:05 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This one?

https://www.jbimporters.com/web/links...Z1%2005.00.pdf