Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

new lap top computer

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

new lap top computer

Old 01-07-12, 09:14 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 357 Posts
new lap top computer

Mrs. Grouch wants to buy herself a new lap top computer today. I told her she has better resources for advice than me because I know nothing. Today is going to be interesting.
Old 01-07-12, 11:09 AM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a MacBook Air in November and recommend it. Amazing machine.
Old 01-07-12, 11:27 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If it's an Apple computer you want visit Apple's refurb site for at least a 20% discount on anything Apple makes.

All refurb units come with a full new warranty with new cases etc. to ensure the units are as good as new. I've bought nine Mac computers and an ipad from Apple refurb with not one problem in the lot!

https://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals

One point to note: If you see what you want there BUY IT NOW! since the churn is very fast.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 01-07-12, 11:31 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
You may have the results of my months of research! Final choice, Acer 15.6" Laptop, 2.4GHz Intel Core i5-2430M, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD (AS5755-6832). Incredible specs for the price, nice build quality, and since movie rental outlets seem to be almost extinct, it has internal software to wirelessly transmit to TV (WiDi 2.0). If the latter is not important to you, model AS5750-6425 Acer 15.6" Laptop, 2.4GHz Intel Core i5-2430M, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD is about 90.00 cheaper.
Old 01-07-12, 12:48 PM
Retro Grouch 

I followed the advice that I give other people about buying bicycles. We went to the local computer guy who we've used for service in the past.

For our, relatively non-technical use he recommended an ASUS something or other and not the most expensive machine that he had in the store. My computer professional son-in-law is real high on Apple products but even he didn't recommend Apple for our use.

Bottom line, I doubt we got the bottom dollar price, but I feel we were advised by a competant person whom I trust. We're happy with the purchase.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 01-07-12 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-07-12, 12:48 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
FWIW
Old 01-07-12, 03:29 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 85 Posts
I have always bought the professional line of Toshiba laptops because of my line of work (before I retired). I have probably owned 7 or 8 of them over the years and never had to have one repaired. The drawback is that they do cost more than the consumer models that you find in the stores.

To be honest with you, I have never owned an Apple product until this Christmas when the wife and I got an iPad 2. However, I will say that if you aren't going to use it for business, they do make great products. They cost a bit more than a Windows based PC and you may not find as much free or shareware software for a MAC, but they are very good machines.

If you are looking for a Windows based laptop, it's like buying a bike. Find the one with the most bang for the bucks and go with it. If you do some homework, you can do some searching (if you want to spend the time) finding out who makes the motherboards for the laptops you are interested in and then see how they are rated. If you went out today and bought it today, this is all moot.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-07-12, 04:01 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You say a "New" lap top so I presume that your old one was not running Windows 7. Been using W7 for a couple of months and it is good. Must be easy to use as I made the transition from XP easily with only a few hiccups. One problem is W7 uses memory so get at least 4gb of memory installed- more if you can get it. Fastest processor that you can afford within your budget and a screen size you are comfortable with. Other than that- Just open YOUR wallet and get the wife her next years birthday- anniversary and Christmas present all rolled into one. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-07-12, 05:14 PM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmccain View Post
I bought a MacBook Air in November and recommend it. Amazing machine.
+1 the best computer I've ever owned. You just have to get used to the idea that instead of putting software and other stuff into it by disc you download everything.
Old 01-07-12, 06:53 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker View Post
You may have the results of my months of research! Final choice, Acer 15.6" Laptop, 2.4GHz Intel Core i5-2430M, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD (AS5755-6832). Incredible specs for the price, nice build quality, and since movie rental outlets seem to be almost extinct, it has internal software to wirelessly transmit to TV (WiDi 2.0). If the latter is not important to you, model AS5750-6425 Acer 15.6" Laptop, 2.4GHz Intel Core i5-2430M, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD is about 90.00 cheaper.
Ignore than man behind the curtain.
Get a Mac. You won't be disappointed.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-07-12, 08:02 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
I followed the advice that I give other people about buying bicycles. We went to the local computer guy who we've used for service in the past.

For our, relatively non-technical use he recommended an ASUS something or other and not the most expensive machine that he had in the store. My computer professional son-in-law is real high on Apple products but even he didn't recommend Apple for our use.

Bottom line, I doubt we got the bottom dollar price, but I feel we were advised by a competant person whom I trust. We're happy with the purchase.
Congrats on the new computer. I took the advice of a former co-worker several years ago and bought a HP laptop he recommended. He knew how I intended to use it and I'm still using it.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-07-12, 08:06 PM
Closed Office

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I followed the link by BluesDawg above, and got to this page after a couple more clicks.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384243,00.asp

It was a bit surprising that the Macs had a 15% repair rate in the first year, compared to 5% for Samsung. For all that money I wouldn't expect that.
Old 01-07-12, 08:29 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Closed Office View Post
It was a bit surprising that the Macs had a 15% repair rate in the first year, compared to 5% for Samsung. For all that money I wouldn't expect that.
One of the guys in my office is a huge Apple fan and he says to always purchase the extended warranty.
Old 01-07-12, 09:08 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
I followed the link by BluesDawg above, and got to this page after a couple more clicks.

You are trying to apply logic to a question of religious faith.
Old 01-07-12, 10:46 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the specials at tigerdirect.com. Lots of bang for the buck.
Old 01-08-12, 02:39 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
One of the guys in my office is a huge Apple fan and he says to always purchase the extended warranty.
Funnily enough-My S-i-L who is involved with computers says the same thing. Part of his company deals with warranty and can repair most computers-But macs and they prefer to send back to apple. Software problems are OK but hardware and they cannot get the supply of parts from Apple. He still recommends a Mac even though the office run PC's and he has PC's at home. Think he just likes spending my money.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-08-12, 08:53 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With a laptop, you should always purchase the warranty--especially a spill-proof warranty. Laptops have a far greater chance of physical damage than desktops.
Old 01-08-12, 09:09 AM
megtyler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i shifted to apple three years ago and you know what they say once you mac, you'll never go back.
but to be fair, i think other brand are more efficient for other purposes such as netbooks... if you are just going to use it for presentation and note taking, go for more affordable brands
Old 01-08-12, 09:09 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked 905 Times in 534 Posts
Macs are over priced, and on some you cant even replace the battery yourself. Macs are usually connected with the education community. Everyone else uses Windows based machines, as they have tons more programs written for them.
Old 01-08-12, 09:11 AM
megtyler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a good laptop list with specs
Old 01-08-12, 09:42 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
With a laptop, you should always purchase the warranty--especially a spill-proof warranty. Laptops have a far greater chance of physical damage than desktops.
Interesting. Ours has a "drop it in the swimming pool and we'll replace it once" warranty.
Old 01-08-12, 05:29 PM
PhilWinIL

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix, a Sun EZ-1 Recumbent (90's vintage), Sun Sport recumbent 2020, 6KUBikes kit bike converted to e-bike

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I picked up a new computer about a year ago when the HP laptop I had since '05 went belly-up for the third time (three hard drives in it's lifetime). It was replaced with an ASUS K52F which has been running fine. It has the Intel Core i3 processor on it.

I spoke to the guy at the counter with Best Buy where I bought it, and asked him which brands were the best to go with. He said the two brands they see the least of on repairs are Asus and Toshiba. The ones they see the most of are HP and Acer.

FWIW,

Phil
Old 01-08-12, 08:03 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
My son had to replace his Mac Book this week due to his spilling juice on the keyboard and it was enough to soak the motherboard. Bad juju for him. He looked at the refurbished units at the Apple site and Best Buy had a Mac Book Pro for the same price that he snapped up. He really likes the new unit a lot. I think that Apple is in my future for a laptop and an iPhone (along with the mount and an app for bicycling.)

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-08-12, 09:57 PM
mikepwagner

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is what Consumer Reports found. Here's what they had to say this year:

No one brand stood out as the most or least reliable. That's what we found when we asked more than 26,000 readers who bought a laptop computer between 2008 and 2011 about their experiences. The graph shows the percentage of brands that have ever been repaired or had a serious problem. Differences of less than 3 percentage points are not meaningful, and we've adjusted the data to eliminate differences linked solely to the age of the laptop computer.
The graph they talk about showed 10 or so different brands of computers, all of which scored in the 9% (Apple) to 12% (Sony, Compaq and Dell) range.
Old 01-08-12, 11:22 PM
Closed Office

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
It was a few years ago now, but I read a consumer reports article about extended warranties. They basically said don't buy them. They are a big moneymaker for the seller.

I tend to avoid that type of stuff anyway. I like to sort things out myself as much as I can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.