Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Forums greeting card

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Back in October of last year, I started this thread on the General Cycling Forum:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I am a year-round cyclist in Boston, and an enthusiastic subscriber to Bike Forums. We seem to have a lot of Forum members around here. Whenever I'm out on the road and encounter a serious-appearing cyclist, hoping to meet a fellow BF subscriber, I try to inquire if they are on the Forums, and if not, I try to introduce it to them. Often these encounters are brief, and the best I can do beyond a quick explanation, is to give them the URL (“BikeForums [one word, emphasis on plural] dot net” [emphasis on net].)

I was thinking about making a little business type card, 3.5 x 2 inches, to hand out for their further consideration. A first draft of my message is:

[SEE ORIGINAL POST]

I chose the Forums listed to demonstrate and appeal to a wide range of interests, and as self-explanatory by title. Any comments or suggestions?
I got some encouraging responses:

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
…Believe it is a total waste of time and effort.
Originally Posted by Machka
I'm not at all sure about handing out business cards like that ... they remind me a bit too much of the soliciting that goes on in airports, or around places like the Eiffel Tower in Paris...
Originally Posted by billyymc
…Have you ever been approached out of the blue, out in public, by someone like that? I have. It's weird. Especially if they hand you materials to read. Like a laminated card. Or they are having a normal conversation with you then they spring "Jesus loves you" on you out of nowhere.

If someone has interest in reading about cycling online, they will eventually find BF.
…to fuhgeddaboutit. I still think it’s a good idea; not soliciting, but more like pleasantly exchanging a business card with a potentially interested client for mutual benefit.

Last month I had the opportunity to learn how to use the Microsoft Publisher office program with the capability to design and print double-sided business cards; see photo below. Since the 50+ Forum distinguishes itself by its congenial and welcoming spirit, I'd be glad to offer these Bike Forum greeting cards gratis to anyone. Just send me a mailing address and I’ll send ten, or whatever requested, with your user name, or any other message of a similar nature.

I mentioned these cards to a local BF personal friend, a recent college grad and cycling roadie working as a bike courier, and he was interested, and even offered to reimburse me.

I also designed a double-sided joke card, based on an ethnic joke I once saw directed towards my own ethnic heritage (see below). Though intended towards snooty roadies, my friend is very pleasant and intelligent, with a degree in physics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BF Greeting Card.jpg (93.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg
Joke Card.jpg (78.6 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-07-12, 11:53 AM

I just noticed on the card, "...for a list some of the special interest forums..." should be, "...for a list of some of the special interest Forums..."

Fixed on the template.
Old 01-07-12, 12:09 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
great idea.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-07-12, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Cards like this came with my Tilley hat. I've given a few of them out.

The jersey is an attention getter, but I don't know of anyone who came to BF because they saw me wear one. If anything, I probably scared them off.

Old 01-08-12, 07:57 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
We used them for the super moderators at a site I helped start for dirt bikes. I gave them out at tracks and to shop owners that were interested. Might work here.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-09-12, 09:26 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I have a friend who owns www.roadbikerider.com and he hands out cards like that, if, after a 3-5 minute conversation the other person seems interested in "learning more".

BTW: my RBR jersey is my favorite.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-09-12, 09:37 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I hand out cards when asked about my Bright tail Light.

I also have BF cards with local info on them.

Encountered some that left BF because of the snarky replys from BF road riders.

Old 01-10-12, 08:44 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I think this is a very good idea, Jim. If someone simply told me of a website, I'd probably forget the address by the time I got home. This concept is probably best suited for those who ride in groups or in areas with heavy bike traffic. I think I'd likely have to throw the cards at those few I pass (or pass me) on my travels!
Old 01-10-12, 10:58 PM

Bike Forums greeting cards

Originally Posted by stapfam
great idea

Originally Posted by miss kenton
I think this is a very good idea, Jim…
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Cards like this came with my Tilley hat. I've given a few of them out…

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
We used them for the super moderators at a site I helped start for dirt bikes. I gave them out at tracks and to shop owners that were interested. Might work here…

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I hand out cards when asked about my Bright tail Light…
Thanks for the replies. As I have mentioned, my idea is not to be a shill for Bike Forums, but to make serious and/or potential cyclists aware of it for their benefit. I serendipitously learned of Bike Forums from an offhand comment on a blog devoted to a newspaper cartoon strip, and I was already a serious cyclist for over 30 years. I added an addendum recently to my introductory cycling biography written when I first subscribed to BF, telling of how it affected my cycling lifestyle:

… Since joining Bike Forums, I have also ridden on the Second Annual Fifty Plus Ride...and with the Third Annual Ride...

Also since subscribing, I have adapted to riding my Cannondale Mountain Bike in rain and winter precipitation, including on icy roads, thanks to advice from the Forums.
Originally Posted by RonH
I have a friend who...hands out cards like that, if, after a 3-5 minute conversation the other person seems interested in "learning more"

Originally Posted by miss kenton
…If someone simply told me of a website, I'd probably forget the address by the time I got home. This concept is probably best suited for those who ride in groups or in areas with heavy bike traffic. I think I'd likely have to throw the cards at those few I pass (or pass me) on my travels!
The opportunity to talk to other cyclists is indeed fleeting and limited, to describe what BF is all about; thus my idea of a greeting card. Not to sound pretentious, but a favorite quote of mine as to how we find our way in the world is “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-11-12 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-11-12, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appear to be what?
Old 01-14-12, 01:04 PM

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Appear to be what?
Since this is a Buddhist proverb, I guess the answer might be, "Appear to be." or to quote the Firesign Theater, "Gee-You,-Are-You?" (spells GURU.)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-14-12 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or"don't crush that dwarf,hand me the pliers