Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Work Stand Recommendation

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I need a work stand but know nothing about them. I was making do with a couple of 2 x 4's hung off a wooden outboard motor stand that I made but a multi-day shop cleanup and reorganization relegated that to the dump.

Looking around the net shows me stands from $50 but I'm fairly sure I won't get something I'd be happy with for that price.

Portability isn't an issue, it will stay in my shop.
Old 01-21-12, 04:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spend the money and get a Park Tools PCS-10. I had a PCS-9, but the 10 is easier to adjust without tools. You will love it, and it's the last stand you will ever need.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

https://www.parktool.com/product/home...r-stand-pcs-10

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 01-21-12, 04:51 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have an older (think 20 yrs. ago) Park portable stand that I like a lot.
Old 01-21-12, 04:54 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.jensonusa.com/Workstands/...R-Repair-Stand

I've used this for a few years now, and the only time I had an issue with it is when I took the BACK wheel off my heavy bike FIRST, when the stand was in my back yard -- started to tip.

They don't sell the Park workstand I would have rather gotten anymore, and it would have been more than 2x the cost.
Old 01-21-12, 05:17 PM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but I have a related question: Who else makes/sell just clamp arms? The ones from Park are great I'm sure, but they're still pretty $$$ for what they are. I'm thinking about making my own wall-mounted repair stand, but any manufactured clamp arm would almost certainly be way better than I can make.
Old 01-21-12, 07:37 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
+1 for the Park Tools PCS-10 work stand. I'm getting one next week and an extra arm so I can have both our bicycles on at one time.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-21-12, 07:40 PM
Saved by Grace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
+1 for the Park Tools PCS-10 work stand. I'm getting one next week and an extra arm so I can have both our bicycles on at one time.
Bill
I imagine that third arm will come in handy in all kinds of situations. You could be a heckuva pianist!
Old 01-21-12, 07:44 PM
Semper Fi

If that would give me the skills to play a piano I'd have one transplanted tomorrow. Okay, an extra arm for the work stand. Better?

Bill

Old 01-21-12, 07:51 PM
Saved by Grace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, an extra arm for the work stand. Better?
Bill
Whatever you say... I just call 'em the way I see 'em....
Old 01-21-12, 07:54 PM
Semper Fi

I believe this type of thing is in another active thread in 50+ right now. Hey I spelled correctly I think!

Old 01-21-12, 08:57 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
+2 for the Park Tools PCS-10. Got mine from Amazon. Very, very satisfied with it. Folds up pretty compactly when not needed ... (but mine is usually set up with some bike or other on it).
Old 01-22-12, 01:40 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Had a couple over the years and My latest one is a PBK one. Bought because it looked good and was a sensible price. Works well and packs up easily when not being used. BUT it has a fault that most of the tripod ones have in that you have to position the Bike for where you are working on it carefully- just so it does not tip. Had this on all the tripod ones but my first one I bought was very cheap-Supported the bike on the bottom bracket and a Clamp to support and fix on the downtube. It also had 4 legs and was fully stable. Problem was that FAT tubes on a 90's stand and the clamp had to be replaced by a Bungee. It got too awkward to use on all bikes but the bike was firmly held and the stand never so much as tipped. Below is a pic of my "Old" stand and is the best I have ever had.

The more modern ones have a Clamp to go round the tubes. With lightweight alloy and C.F.- you do not clamp round the tubes- and do not clamp round a C.F. seat post either. The thing to do is get an OLD or CHEAP alloy or steel Seat post and clamp round that instead. It has to be long enough to go well inside the seat tube and still allow enough room for the Clamp to be used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sideview.jpg (50.2 KB, 27 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 01-22-12, 05:13 AM
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Ultimate/Feedback stands are a little pricey, but they're the best. This model has a spinner knob clamp, it works just as well as their most expensive model, but costs less:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Workstands/...Mechanic-Stand

I've owned this one for ~4 years. Mine was an Ultimate, before they were bought by Feedback. I got mine from Jenson when they were clearing out the stands with Ultimate branding to make room for their replacements with Feedback branding. I got a $150 stand for 75 with free shipping - one of the better deals I got. At the time I didn't know about the Feedback acquisition and I was very suspicious of this deal. Plus, it took Jenson 6 weeks to deliver because they sold out. I think they bought out all of Ultimate/Feedback's old stock and unloaded them this way.

The plastic clamp which permitted height adjustment broke on my stand after 2 years. This wasn't a big deal, since I normally used it in the lowest position anyway. It still held the bike, even upside-down - I just couldn't raise it. The plastic piece was simply not strong enough for the job.

I dealt with Feedback on my warranty claim (Ultimate stands had a lifetime warranty). Their solution to this problem was not to send me another $10 plastic clamp that would break again, instead they sent me the entire lower part of the newly redesigned repair stand. Basically it replaced everything but the clamp arm. So I got at least 75% of a new stand (by weight) free. This has proven to be a permanent fix, and the experience left me with the opinion that the people at Feedback are dedicated to customer satisfaction.

Google "ultimate repair stand review". They're the highest rated (consumer) stand out there, for the past 10 years, and I think they deserve the reputation.

Last edited by seeker333; 01-22-12 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-22-12, 08:25 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The video at the link on post #2 sold me on the Park 10. It looks to be very sturdy + I like the geometry more than with the tri-pod types. Since it will stay put in my shop, wonder if it will be possible to bolt it to a 3' square piece of 3/4" plywood.
Old 01-22-12, 08:42 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bill
Another +1

I don't do too much work on my bikes but I love it for cleaning them. I've never had any problems with it and it's very stable when the bikes are mounted.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-22-12, 08:42 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TomD77
The video at the link on post #2 sold me on the Park 10. It looks to be very sturdy + I like the geometry more than with the tri-pod types. Since it will stay put in my shop, wonder if it will be possible to bolt it to a 3' square piece of 3/4" plywood.
Make that steel plate and it won't go anywhere.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-22-12, 09:29 AM
Double Naught Spy

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure you could fashion a suitable mount by getting some of these at a local hardware store. Where there's a will, there's a way...

Nylon strapping would also work with nuts, bolts, and washers.

Last edited by TrekDen; 01-22-12 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-22-12, 10:11 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've had three workstands. Two, I eventually gave away. The third one is my keeper. The ones I gave away were the Park pcs-10 and the Park prs-25. The keeper is the Spin Doctor Pro G3 from Performance Bicycle.
Old 01-22-12, 10:23 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I need a work stand but know nothing about them. I was making do with a couple of 2 x 4's hung off a wooden outboard motor stand that I made but a multi-day shop cleanup and reorganization relegated that to the dump.

Looking around the net shows me stands from $50 but I'm fairly sure I won't get something I'd be happy with for that price.

Portability isn't an issue, it will stay in my shop.
I was in your spot about a year ago. Newbie, and needed a stand. I went to a bike swap, and picked up a Spin Doctor stand for $50. Meantime, I got more bikes. The Spin doctor was working okay, but I had learned to scan CL for bikes, and now stands. I caught a PCS-10 for $50.. Grabbed it, making me have two. Fast forward to a month ago, I hit the CL lottery! I caught an new condition PSC-4 for $40!!! Putting me up to 3 stands..

Just so happened to day, I am working with some beaters I had picked up for $5 each off CL, and I am using the Spin Doctor in my kitchen. Guess what, the Spin Doctor snaps!!! However, I got the PSC-10 in the garage, and the PSC-4 in my bike-bedroom upstairs. I spring for the PSC-10 out the garage. Right off the bat, I see the big, big difference in quality, and the PSC-4 is stronger than that the 10. I said all that to say, I second what everybody else is saying about getting good stand, mainly the PSC-10.. Also, check CL, you might can come up with a used one, like I did for all 3 of mine.

IMO, stands selling for $50 new are good for DISPLAYING BIKES!!

Luck to you,
Old 01-22-12, 10:40 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Yet another +1 for the Park PSC-10. $135 w/ S+H from Bike Island.
Old 01-22-12, 11:17 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
I was in your spot about a year ago. Newbie, and needed a stand. I went to a bike swap, and picked up a Spin Doctor stand for $50. Meantime, I got more bikes. The Spin doctor was working okay, but I had learned to scan CL for bikes, and now stands. I caught a PCS-10 for $50.. Grabbed it, making me have two. Fast forward to a month ago, I hit the CL lottery! I caught an new condition PSC-4 for $40!!! Putting me up to 3 stands..

Just so happened to day, I am working with some beaters I had picked up for $5 each off CL, and I am using the Spin Doctor in my kitchen. Guess what, the Spin Doctor snaps!!! However, I got the PSC-10 in the garage, and the PSC-4 in my bike-bedroom upstairs. I spring for the PSC-10 out the garage. Right off the bat, I see the big, big difference in quality, and the PSC-4 is stronger than that the 10. I said all that to say, I second what everybody else is saying about getting good stand, mainly the PSC-10.. Also, check CL, you might can come up with a used one, like I did for all 3 of mine.

IMO, stands selling for $50 new are good for DISPLAYING BIKES!!

Luck to you,
There's a Craig's List for Pensacola but it's small and limited compared to the major market CL's, even combined with nearby Mobile, Al. I think I'd have to watch CL carefully for about 25 years to find the selection you lucked into. In a couple of years of looking at the bike category weekly or so, can't remember ever seeing one stand, and since getting one has been in the back of my mind for some time, I would have noticed.
Old 01-27-12, 05:54 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
UPS delivered a Park PCS 10 a couple of hours ago and I'll have to tell you that I'm impressed. It's nice looking, solid, sturdy and adaptable. Hard to see how any stand could beat this by much no matter the price. I'll post a picture tomorrow.
Old 01-27-12, 06:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do know now that you have a stand there will be some showing up on CL any day now.
Old 01-27-12, 08:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
You do know now that you have a stand there will be some showing up on CL any day now.
It's worked that way with women most of my life too----
Old 01-27-12, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I prefer the Park PRS 20. I don't like clamping my seatpost or frame tubing. It has its pro and cons, but has worked out well for me. It gets a lot of use.

https://www.parktool.com/category/portable-repair-stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.