Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Bike transporter--Bit OT

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-27-12, 03:46 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Wife wanted one and it took a while to convince me. Problem is that the type she wanted has a cult following over here and ones for sale are rare. Ones in good condition that I can afford are even rarer so I have done a bit of research and found out I cannot afford one.-------EXCEPT---

I am in the motor trade and I put out a few feelers to my customers to see if they know of one coming up for sale- perhaps a Trade in they can afford to let me have with just a minimal mark up- or one even cheaper that needs a bit of work doing to it. Mentioned it to a customer on a friday morning and he contacted me in the afternoon as he had found one. Phoned the owner and he was away for a week but at least that gave me a chance to look at similar vehicles in the area. For this vehicle in good condition I would have to pay a lot. Couldn't understand why as they are 20 to 30 years old--But it is that cult following. Even one that is in poor condition was going to be more than I could afford so I was not hopefull.

Well I saw it on Sunday. Interior is a bit rough- the body work does not look good but is basically sound and there is NO ROT in the chassis. Mechanically and it is a 20 year old vehicle but runs OK. There is work to do and it is not as good as it looks in the attachment. Bit of haggling and I have my new bike transporter and Holidays for the next 5 years at least. The price I paid was just about half of what a mate said I would have to pay and he knows these vehicles. That will allow a bit of money for materials and interior to bring it up to standard.

The vehicle?

I am going to be one of your bug bears- an Old slow VW T25 Campervan that will take at least 3 bikes and the Grandchildren to the Alpes next year. It May need too much work on it for this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00032.jpg (98.1 KB, 39 views)
DSC00033.jpg (97.7 KB, 48 views)
DSC00034.jpg (98.7 KB, 44 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 02-27-12, 03:50 PM
bigbadwullf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Over here it's like: You want what?
Old 02-27-12, 04:19 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
Over here it's like: You want what?
Not where I Live. I've been looking for one for several years and they're impossible to find. Well, that's not completely true. I know of four within six miles of my home, but the owners have NO interest in selling them.

Nice catch, Stapfam.
Old 02-27-12, 04:48 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always loved those VW campervans. Had one, years ago.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-27-12, 05:18 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah, a Westphalia. An ex-gf of mine has one. The problem is, they don't make trailer hitches for them, so you can't mount the trailer-hitch bike racks.

L.
Old 02-27-12, 07:51 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey Stepfam! The steering wheel is on the wrong side. Just kidding.

Looks like it will be fun.

All I could think of when I saw the upholstery was "Shagadellic baby!"
Old 02-27-12, 07:57 PM
catmandew52

Bikes: Mongoose Switchback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IIRC thats a water cooled flat 4, so, at least you won't freeze your tuckus off in the snowy season.
Old 02-28-12, 07:16 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 160 Posts
The VW Westpahlia camper conversions have a cult following here, too. The mark-ups and auction prices for even a bad one are scarry. I have several friends that had them when we were in college and I always loved the quality and engineering in the interiors. Regardless of the year and whether it is the air cooled or water cooled boxer (the end of the line for this one) and the short lived golf diesel laid over the prices seem to just escalate. the new Eurovan campers just do not have the personality of the Kombi based campers to me.

Seems like a nice score for you and the wife Doug, enjoy the camper and the Pinnie when the day arrives for retirement in a few weeks.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-28-12, 09:19 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 344 Posts
Out of curiosity I checked CL here. I didn't find that particular type of VW bus but there was a "1972 Volkswagen/VW Safare Camper Bus" for $4000.

Enjoy yours.
Old 02-28-12, 10:16 AM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had two VW vans over the years, a '69 hardtop camper and a 1982 diesel. The diesel was amazingly frugal in a vehicle of that size; mine had a rare 5 speed manual and would average 33mpg (14km/liter) with a light load. Both were severely lacking in power, of course, and took more time with restoration and maintenance than I wanted at the time so I eventually sold them. Now that I'm semi retired (and have a warm garage to deal with a vehicle like that again), have caught myself cruising Craigslist and TheSamba.com to look at the later aircooled models with more power, fuel injection, and hydraulic lifters. They are pricey! Well restored ones from the late '70s have asking prices >$10,000. Best of all would be a Subaru-repowered Vanagon, but these are even more expensive.
Old 02-28-12, 11:53 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's almost incomprehensible how much they have appreciated. I had a couple of standard split window transporters in the late 80s and early 90's. I loved how I could just roll my bike in and it fit. But flat-engined VWs are rare as hen's teeth around here.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-28-12, 12:32 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree - I'm astonished how they've appreciated in value. The one I had was WAY underpowered, always needing repairs, etc. But it was fun to drive!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-28-12, 01:24 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
It's almost incomprehensible how much they have appreciated. I had a couple of standard split window transporters in the late 80s and early 90's. I loved how I could just roll my bike in and it fit. But flat-engined VWs are rare as hen's teeth around here.
I take that back, with all the Tyson chickens in this state, there are probably more hen's teeth.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-28-12, 03:23 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Got it back home in the Dark---And I mean Dark.

After 2 miles there was an engine stutter come in and it cut out. Left it a couple of minutes and it restarted. Looks as though the Battery needs replacing and the ALTERNATOR IS NOT CHARGING.

Drove 25 miles on sidelights and just got to the Driveway and it stalled. Now parked on the road till I can get some lads to push it on the driveway Tomorrow.

But it drives well- steering and brakes are fine and the engine pulls like a good un.

Hope I have found the mechanical fault (S)-------

It is a T25 Transporter with a Devon conversion to camper van. The T25 was after the T3 and before the T4 as far as I can make out.

And those Split Screen vans-- Rarer than Rocking horse droppings over here and the ones that are about are all in the hands of Enthusiasts. Occasionally they do come up for sale and a Runner in any condition will start at $20,000. Saw an early Bay window one on E-Bay with a starting bid of $80,000. It did look nice though. Problem is --I could get a decent bike for that amount and I know where my priorities lie.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-28-12, 06:37 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 315 Posts
I had a '68 Type 2 for a while. My memories of it are less than fond.

My Honda Element is, in some ways, a similar type of car. It gets exactly the same gas mileage on the highway as my old type 2. The Honda, however, is faster, air conditioned, the heater actually heats, and it shows no indication of needing a valve job.
Old 02-28-12, 11:06 PM
overthehillmedi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Craigslist Vancouver BC has thirteen listed between early 70 to present.
Old 02-29-12, 02:14 AM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Drove one from 1988 to 1993. It was a 1981 that was the last year with the air cooled engine. I was amazed at how easy it was to work on it. But underpowered? Yes. That is part of the charm. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't want another one. I'm back into self propelled sports. Bike touring, canoe tripping, backpacking. No need for the status of being a VW Van owner.

I never heard a good report on the 1982 + vans with the liquid cooled engines.
Old 02-29-12, 05:48 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Still pretty impressive, in my opinion . and being in the car business, you probably can get it dialed in nicely .
Old 02-29-12, 07:04 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Best of luck with the trouble shooting and any repairs Doug. I guess that conversion company is a U.K. firm and not here in the states. It looks just like the "factory" Westphalia conversions in the pics. Still I think it is a good score for you and the wife. Enjoy.

Bill

Old 02-29-12, 07:22 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 85 Posts
Good luck with your VW Van. I had a friend, way back when, that had a VW Bus (in his hippy days) and it was a lot of fun riding in it. Kind of noisy, as I recall, and the seats weren't the most comfortable. I'm sure that they are no longer that way. You must have the same idea that the wife and I have planned when she retires in two months. We plan to ride all over Florida and the U.S. as part of out bucket list. Who knows, I may even come knocking on Bill's (qcpmsame) door asking him to go for a ride.

My wife and I have been looking at something to haul our bikes in. Our problem is getting something that will haul her recumbent tadpole trike and my bike. We have been looking at the Ford Transit but before we know for sure if we are going to get one, I have to take her bike to the dealership and see if it will fit. We are looking for something that we can leave the bikes locked up in rather than have to bring them in the motel room with us. Not a good idea if your room is anywhere other than the first floor.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-29-12, 07:24 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

John,
Come on up, you won't need a camper that night, stay in Casa Barnard. Great Bed and Breakfast there!
Bill

Old 02-29-12, 08:14 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good old VW Vans! Congrats. on finding what you were searching for. May it serve you well for many, many miles (or kilometers or what ever).
Old 03-01-12, 12:42 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
This is what we use, a Mitsubishi Delica 4WD with turbo diesel. There are two singles, a tandem and a bunch of holiday gear inside and the surf skis on top. It's serving us quite well...

There is a longer wheelbase version that might make shoehorning the tandem in a bit easier, but that would mean selling and buying again, and we don't intend to do that for a while.

We tend to camp with tents rather than sleeping in the vehicle. It's a security thing -- the bikes sleep in the vehicle under lock and key after Machka's bike was stolen two Easters ago.
Attached Images
DSCN2399.jpg (77.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-01-12, 05:07 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I like the Mitsubishi ! We use the Pontiac Aztek for a bike transport , but if that ever gives out ,the Outlander Sport is on my short list of replacements . I have a Lancer presently, and have owned a Precis and Galant in the past.