Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting fit for rides at the end of May

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 05:42 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have my Retirement planned and part of that is cycling. Last 6 months have seen my fitness go downhill and I intend to correct that. There is no way I am ever going to get up to 100 mile in 6 hours so I intend to keep my goals acceptable.

I am looking at myself and saying I have to start again.- just like a newby. At least I won't have severe butt ache but new bike- new saddle and I expect a bit. Legs and They have a certain amount of strength but nothing like last year- Same with cardio Vascular and lung capacity.

I intend to go out with the Sunday rides and for a few weeks limit myself to 40 miles. Then in the week get a couple of rides in. One taking in a few slopes and the other getting in mileage at a pace I enjoy. Should push me to around 100 miles a week for a month and then in May start putting in effort and finding the real slopes or putting on speed.

End of May and I have two rides organised. First is a 50 miler and it does take in the nastiest slopes round here. The 16% and a long drawn out 12%er for 2 miles + others. I will aim for the gold standard for my age which is 4hrs 10 minutes. This is doable as a Metric- on an easier course- was done in 4hrs last year. The other is a Fun Ride of London to Brighton- only around 60 miles but done at night.

So hopefully I will be able to get fit with my "Ride Programme". If not- I will struggle.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-28-12, 05:51 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Best of luck with the retirement rides Stap. Just don't overdo the conditioning but do have fun. Glad you are liiking forward to your next chapter in life.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13