Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A slow start

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A slow start

Old 05-19-12, 12:43 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A slow start

This morning I went out for my first club ride of the year. I have ridden with this group many times in the past so I know teh dynamics and the drill. The group usually breaks up into a B+ group which averages about 3 to 4 MPH over the advertised speed. A B group which averages about 1 to 2 MPH over and a B- group that averages about 1 MPH below. The ride was 50 miles. The longest ride I have done since last Sept was 30 miles. Posted speed 16-17 MPH. Rolling terrain with a few steep but short climbs.

I felt pretty good, have been doing intervals a few mornings a week. In years past I will usually ride with the B group and then migrate up to the B+ group about mid summer. Before the packs started to break up I was feeling pretty good, I might be able to stay with the B+ group. Then the first hill and I knew it was not going to happen. I rode with the B group for the first 40 miles. We the hit some steep rollers and I had nothing in the tank. I was surprised. I did not bonk, I know what that feels like - I just had not ridden any distance for a long time and I dropped off the cliff at 40. I got dropped like a hot potato, the B- group must have taken a short cut because I never saw them, but I got back a little after the rest. At close to the end I did catch up to one of the other B riders who said he had bonked, we finished the last mile together.

I was surprised that my stamina had such a short distance, I was planning an 80 mile ride for Memorial day, I don't think that is a wise move now. I might be able to stretch out to a metric if I don't push too hard. I also need to start thinking about the centuries that will come in Aug & Sep.

I just can't come back after winter as quickly as I did in the past.
Old 05-19-12, 01:08 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Sometimes you're the windshield, and sometimes you're the bug.

Hanging for 40 miles doesn't sound shabby to me.

Old 05-19-12, 01:47 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Long layoffs do not help when you get back to riding in the spring. Just trying it myself but getting to be comfortable on 40 milers now. BUT- it will happen that a ride well within my capabilities is going to hurt for no reason whatsoever. Don't know why but it happens. Next ride and I will be back to normal. Until I get to regular 60 mile rides-that was my distance last year- I know that a gentle ride can be easy or hard.

Next ride will be different and you will find yourself back up to expectations.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-19-12, 02:24 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Cut your self some slack, After a long lay off it takes a while. Shorter rides for a while would have been a good idea but you did fine and will get it back soon.
If you are anything like me, like Dodlesack said somedays it just isn't there for some reason.
Old 05-19-12, 02:40 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Mrs. Grouch and I are planning to participate in an organized ride tomorrow. It will be our first since I broke my hip. I think that I'll be OK, I've ridden 20 miles on the Katy Trail but I've got a little of that anxiety creeping back. I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 05-19-12, 05:16 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil85207
Cut your self some slack, After a long lay off it takes a while. Shorter rides for a while would have been a good idea but you did fine and will get it back soon.
If you are anything like me, like Dodlesack said somedays it just isn't there for some reason.
Thanks,
I am not whipping myself over the ride. This years goals are not about my cycling, hiking is the big thing this year and it takes a different mindset.
Old 05-19-12, 10:14 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,987 Times in 1,844 Posts
After my experience today (see my post), one thing I realized is that i am not going to be taking big steps up in mileage for a while. If you haven't surpassed 30 so far this year, then hanging tight for 40 was a great showing. You'll get to 50 strong miles and beyond, and I hope, so will I, but not right away....
Old 05-20-12, 05:52 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Increasing mileage by 10% per week seems to be a widely recommended rate. For us here in the 50+ it still remains a good idea.