Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Frame Arrives Tomorrow

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 04:14 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I wanted to build a bike. After much input from some on this forum, lots of reading, and a few visits to the LBS I Decided on a Salsa Casseroll frame. Although they tried, My Lbs was unable to order the frame because they are not an authorized Salsa dealer. I ordered on line and the tracking information says it should arrive tomorrow. Still waiting on some components, but excited to get going sometime next week. I've learned a lot about building already and look forward to learning much more as I go along.
Old 06-07-12, 04:37 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
They had No QBP account? or does another nearby shop nail down
the completed bike territory? Civia-Surly-Salsa.. ?
Old 06-07-12, 05:01 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Good luck with your new build. Keep us informed.
Old 06-07-12, 05:04 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm interested in this thread. I have a salsa casseroll frame (an older one in ginger) that I want to build up. So I'm looking forward to reading your build and seeing the pics. Great choice on a frame btw,
Old 06-07-12, 05:16 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Congrads on the new bike!

What drivetrain, may I ask?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 06-07-12 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 05:22 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
They had No QBP account? or does another nearby shop nail down
the completed bike territory? Civia-Surly-Salsa.. ?
Nearest dealer is a long, inconvenient distance away. As the lbs owner told them, only HE lost out on the deal. I bought the frame on line for the same price he was going to charge me. They just didn't want to do a 'one time' buy.
Old 06-07-12, 05:25 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Congrads on the new bike!

What drivetrain, may I ask?
Ultegra 6700, double. 39/53 and 11/28 cassette.
Old 06-07-12, 06:12 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Timtruro
Classy! I always respect a standard 130bcd crankset.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-07-12, 06:16 PM

Nice, what about the other bits and pieces like brakes, wheels, and so forth. I'll bet not too many casserolls get built up with a 130 bcd crankset.
Old 06-07-12, 06:52 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So far shimano canti brakes, Ultegra shifters, Mavic Open Pro wheels.
Old 06-07-12, 06:58 PM
Have bike, will travel

So far shimano canti brakes, Ultegra shifters, Mavic Open Pro wheels.
Do you already own the Open Pro wheelset?
Old 06-08-12, 02:40 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Do you already own the Open Pro wheelset?
No lbs is ordering them. Why is there something wrong with these type wheels?
Old 06-08-12, 05:07 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well the frame arrived this afternoon, but I am not at home, my wife took delivery. BTW I wimped out after thinking about it and ordered a different crank today. Ultegra compact 34/50. I road my triple up some big hills today and although I didn't use the granny gear I decided that the 39/53 would be a bit too much on the touring bike.
Old 06-08-12, 05:46 PM

There is nothing whimpy about opting for a compact crank over a 130 bcd; that would have been my choice as well. Nothing wrong with the open pros but if you haven't made your purchase yet, you might want to think about the open pro sports instead.
Old 06-09-12, 02:35 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I do have a standard double with 52/39 and I use it--Occasionally. Has to be a flat ride but I NEVER get to 52/12- Even with the wind behind me. Did one ride with a hill with it once- and only once. Only an 8% for a mile but 39/27 was still too tall for me. Daft thing is that with a compact--50/34-- I often find myself in 50/12 and although it may be at a lower cadence than normal- I can use it.

Open Pro's are one of the recognised standard rims around. When mated to a decent hub by a good builder it makes for one strong reliable wheel that will last. Plenty of alternative rims out there but Mavic are a proved manufacturer. I went for CXP33 rims on 105 hubs 6 years ago and are still my favourite set of wheels.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-09-12, 03:33 PM
Have bike, will travel

No lbs is ordering them. Why is there something wrong with these type wheels?
Open Pro's are great rims and can make an excellent wheel. The ideal tire size range for the Open Pro is 700x23-700x28 according to Mavic.

If you plan on using a 700x32 or larger tire, I would reconsider and look at the Velocity A23. This rim is wider and will take a 700x23 tire, but can also take touring tires in the 700x32 to 700x40 range. I've used both Open Pro and the Velocity A23 and I like the added width of the A23. There is not any price premium for the wider A23, but the rim can be hard to find due to demand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ulte...item3f1772f45c
Old 06-09-12, 03:39 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice frame. Very exciting and gratifying to do your own build!
Old 06-10-12, 04:28 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Open Pro's are great rims and can make an excellent wheel. The ideal tire size range for the Open Pro is 700x23-700x28 according to Mavic.

If you plan on using a 700x32 or larger tire, I would reconsider and look at the Velocity A23. This rim is wider and will take a 700x23 tire, but can also take touring tires in the 700x32 to 700x40 range. I've used both Open Pro and the Velocity A23 and I like the added width of the A23. There is not any price premium for the wider A23, but the rim can be hard to find due to demand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ulte...item3f1772f45c
I'm thinking 700x28 right now. Don't think I will ever go wider, but who knows.
Old 06-13-12, 07:12 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The link Barretsvc provided is for a very good price ($259) on a good quality Velocity A23 and Ultegra wheel set. I paid $390 two years ago for the exact same components in a custom build. Someone should jump on this.
Old 06-13-12, 07:56 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
The link Barretsvc provided is for a very good price ($259) on a good quality Velocity A23 and Ultegra wheel set. I paid $390 two years ago for the exact same components in a custom build. Someone should jump on this.
A great deal but the buyer's post says 2 available, 4 sold. Guess he came up with a few more sets of this deal.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-13-12, 11:29 AM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I bought a Casseroll last month, got the complete build with some minor modifications. Got 28mm tires instead of 32, stayed with the 48-38-26 triple but swapped the 11-25 for an 11-34. For the nasty hills I like to ride and the shape I'm in, I love my low gears, others probably wouldn't want that, but for me, it is great. Except for the saddle I am quite happy, I'll swap it out soon.
Old 06-13-12, 01:22 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
A great deal but the buyer's post says 2 available, 4 sold. Guess he came up with a few more sets of this deal.

Bill
I read that as 2 still available after 4 were sold. Good price on the wheels, but I would pass on them in favor of some built with butted spokes like DT Competition instead of the straight gauge Champions. I built up a set of A23 wheels for my Casseroll and now run them on my monstercross bike. Very nice rims and the extra width makes for a rounder tire profile, even with tires as narrow as 23mm.
Mavic Open Pros or CXP33s also make for good wheels. The Open Sports are good rims, but a notch below the others mentioned.
Old 06-14-12, 06:59 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
BD,
He fixed the available/sold part yesterday. I did check it three times to make sure my oldtimers disease wasn't kicking in. Guess they ot tired of people telling them.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-14-12, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I read that as 2 still available after 4 were sold. Good price on the wheels, but I would pass on them in favor of some built with butted spokes like DT Competition instead of the straight gauge Champions. I built up a set of A23 wheels for my Casseroll and now run them on my monstercross bike. Very nice rims and the extra width makes for a rounder tire profile, even with tires as narrow as 23mm.
Mavic Open Pros or CXP33s also make for good wheels. The Open Sports are good rims, but a notch below the others mentioned.
Why are the open sport a notch below the others? The Mavic marketing material states that they are the "descendants" (whatever the heck that means) of the MA-2s and 3s: https://www.mavic.com/en/product/rims...ims/Open-Sport. Those were awesome rims that held up great. The open sports weight 490 grams; the open pros around 430 grams. Guess which ones will hold up better over time? A lot depends on the weight of the OP and the intended use but I'm skeptical that the open sports are a "notch" below the others mentioned.
Old 06-14-12, 10:57 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Why are the open sport a notch below the others? The Mavic marketing material states that they are the "descendants" (whatever the heck that means) of the MA-2s and 3s: https://www.mavic.com/en/product/rims...ims/Open-Sport. Those were awesome rims that held up great. The open sports weight 490 grams; the open pros around 430 grams. Guess which ones will hold up better over time? A lot depends on the weight of the OP and the intended use but I'm skeptical that the open sports are a "notch" below the others mentioned.
Why? Ask Mavic. They set their heirarchy, not me.

The MA-2 was a great and iconic rim. Strong box section and double eyets. People lamented their passing for years, which probably explains why Mavic mentions them in their ad copy. I had a set of MA-40s on my RB-1. That was the anodized version of the MA-2. Great rims, but the anodization actually made them more prone to cracking, which mine did after about 5 years. The single eyelet MA-3 was never a worthy successor and the Open Sport is a descendent of that rim, though I think I read that they fixed some of the problems.

Open Sports are good rims and may even be a better choice than Open Pros in some possible applications, but they are heavier and built to a lower price point than the other rims mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.