Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Orleans West Wheelmen

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Orleans West Wheelmen

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 03:46 AM

Bikes: Mercian from Derby England 60's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orleans West Wheelmen

Wondering if any of the group is still around and active....Started in the 60's in Gretna Louisiana....from what I have learned it fell apart around 1973....were great times and some fine potential riders...I'm Chuck Sitts and living in Florida....Wayne Barrios is in Georgia....Joe Hernandez died....and that's about the extent of my info....any comments would be great...
Old 12-09-12, 11:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckS
Wondering if any of the group is still around and active....Started in the 60's in Gretna Louisiana....from what I have learned it fell apart around 1973....were great times and some fine potential riders...I'm Chuck Sitts and living in Florida....Wayne Barrios is in Georgia....Joe Hernandez died....and that's about the extent of my info....any comments would be great...
Hello, I was there. We sent Nicky Cioli to Nationals in Track and the nearest track was in Northbrook, Il, that was before Atlanta was up and running. NOBC sent Tom Finklea to the Junior Worlds. The Tour de Louisiana used to attract all of the top flight racers in the day. I worked it for 2 years and road it once. I also remember the shop, Ten Speeds West, on Stumpf Blvd, owned by Brian Liebe, his brother Barrett owned New Orleans Lightweight Cycles on Upperline. I ran the Ten Speeds West II, that was openned later on Gen DeGaulle Dr. I too ride a Mercian, and have one of their tandems.
Old 12-10-12, 05:40 AM

Bikes: Mercian from Derby England 60's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orleans West Wheelmen

Originally Posted by lhamodb
Hello, I was there. We sent Nicky Cioli to Nationals in Track and the nearest track was in Northbrook, Il, that was before Atlanta was up and running. NOBC sent Tom Finklea to the Junior Worlds. The Tour de Louisiana used to attract all of the top flight racers in the day. I worked it for 2 years and road it once. I also remember the shop, Ten Speeds West, on Stumpf Blvd, owned by Brian Liebe, his brother Barrett owned New Orleans Lightweight Cycles on Upperline. I ran the Ten Speeds West II, that was openned later on Gen DeGaulle Dr. I too ride a Mercian, and have one of their tandems.
Wrote a reply but it got lost in the wires somewhere...anyhow glad to hear and remember the names and places well....recall the meeting of a few of us at my home in Gretna to decide on a jersey for the group....came out baby blue and orange...bought my Mercian from Barrett at the shop near Tulane....have pictures of the Tour de La....recall our century run down river.....state race up river....if you are interested in pictures you can email me with your address....csitts@comcast.net.....thanks again for the post...