Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Official Thread for the 50+ 5th Annual Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Official Thread for the 50+ 5th Annual Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-13, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I have also received a couple of other regrets as PM’s, and if those subscribers give me a go-ahead, I’ll mention who they are, without reference to their stories. I was also chagrined to read that they couldn't come either.

Originally Posted by miss kenton
So at this point, do we know who is firmly in?
The Kenton's, Irwin 7638 (Marc), and I as far as I know. Missjean wrote she might join on Sunday for an activity. I do recall that at least four very interested riders needed to cancel for serious reasons on the Third Annual Ride. To quote the title of another current thread on Fifty-Plus, "I guess it is that time of life."

Currently, there are about 20 in total signed up for the event, all from Mass. and Maine. Their first ride in 2010 had about 400 riders, so I guess it is still early.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-08-13 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-08-13, 07:17 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
The Kenton's, Irwin 7638 (Marc), and I as far as I know. Missjean wrote she might join on Sunday for an activity. I do recall that at least four very interested riders needed to cancel for serious reasons on the Third Annual Ride. To quote the title of another current thread on Fifty-Plus, "I guess it is that time of life."

Currently, there are about 20 in total signed up for the event, all from Mass. and Maine. Their first ride in 2010 had about 400 riders, so I guess it is still early.
Oh! Come now, gentlemen! Belly up to the bar! Where, at least, are the rest of the Boston boys?!?! Don't let me be the only one in a 50+ jersey dancing on top of the bar in some Beantown dive after the ride!
Old 07-08-13, 08:24 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Okay, then. You all stay home, and the Kentons will win the fabulous prize awarded for having traveled the furthest to participate in this ride. Hah!
Old 07-08-13, 08:48 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Okay, then. You all stay home, and the Kentons will win the fabulous prize awarded for having traveled the furthest to participate in this ride. Hah!

You're gonna hafta drive around the block a couple of times.

Marc
Old 07-09-13, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....hey Marc, I have been using your story about when you went back home to get your rain cape in route to a club ride and you open your garage door and thought "I might as well get my bike while iam here"
Old 07-09-13, 06:31 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
You're gonna hafta drive around the block a couple of times.

Marc
Well, I'm controlling the road map this time, so we might actually be driving around the block a few times! Hey, wait! There are two of us, does that count for double mileage?
Old 07-09-13, 06:58 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
....hey Marc, I have been using your story about when you went back home to get your rain cape in route to a club ride and you open your garage door and thought "I might as well get my bike while iam here"

One of my more fortunate mistakes.
Old 07-09-13, 07:00 PM

Well, I'm controlling the road map this time, so we might actually be driving around the block a few times! Hey, wait! There are two of us, does that count for double mileage?
Looking at the map, you're still short.

Marc
Old 07-09-13, 07:43 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Looking at the map, you're still short.

Marc
Okayfine. I'll concede to distance. But we'll win the Biggest Governor Contest!
Old 07-09-13, 10:32 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oh! Come now, gentlemen! Belly up to the bar! Where, at least, are the rest of the Boston boys?!?! Don't let me be the only one in a 50+ jersey dancing on top of the bar in some Beantown dive after the ride!
Darn..... sorry I won't be able to make it! I expect there will be pictures and video though.
Old 07-10-13, 04:06 AM

You can count on me, Miss K. Though I don't own a 50+ jersey, my swing dancing has won public acclaim, and I know the best dives in town.
Old 07-13-13, 06:42 PM

and I know the best dives in town.
Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Marc
Old 07-14-13, 04:57 PM

and I know the best dives in town.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Marc
Hi Marc,

Have you ever been to Boston?

Whether yes or no, I can assure you that there is a lot to do here besides the Bike Ride, from Boston Brahmin Highbrow to wicked pissah lowbrow .
Old 07-14-13, 05:45 PM

Bikes: Trek multi-track 720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wondering; can one get busted for DUI on a bike?
Old 07-14-13, 05:52 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by McCallum
Just wondering; can one get busted for DUI on a bike?
Yes
Old 07-14-13, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These peeps ride first and drink responsibly later.
Old 07-14-13, 06:06 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
You are correct, Sir.
Old 07-14-13, 08:46 PM

Not to imply that us peeps are going to get wasted, but there are plenty of ways to get around Boston safely--walking, subway, cabs; just don't get lost.

Remember Charlie on the MTA?:

"Did he ever return?
No, he never returned
and his fate is still unlearned.
He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston.
He's the man who never returned."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-15-13 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-15-13, 12:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have heard rumors about certain cross state rides being one long drinking feast; will not name names here but it is an out of my state ride. Not sure how the system can charge DUI in that one needs (I thought) and DL for that. Drunk and disorderly. By the way I ws not saying that this group would RUI. Just with the discussion it did sound a bit like a pub roll (crawl).
Old 07-15-13, 01:11 PM

I have heard rumors about certain cross state rides being one long drinking feast; will not name names here but it is an out of my state ride. Not sure how the system can charge DUI in that one needs (I thought) and DL for that. Drunk and disorderly. By the way I ws not saying that this group would RUI. Just with the discussion it did sound a bit like a pub roll (crawl).
FYI, I recently posted this discussion of how the Annual Fifty-Plus Rides are organized:

It has been the custom on the past three 50+ Annual Rides to join up with an established organized ride with a local bicycle club (Finger Lakes, Michigan, and Tennessee). This provides a convenient core activity for the weekend without imposing too much onto the local proposing subscriber. In particular, the 50+ riders are of different abilities and often string out over the routes, so this organized ride tends to their needs. In my experience, the socialization occurs mostly before and after the ride.
The Ride proposed for Metropolitan Boston this year is one organized by Mass Bike, a cycling advocacy agency, entitled ”Summer Century and Family Fun Fest 2013.” While a fun group, they do promote responsible cycling behavior. The one-day rides from 32 to 100 miles start in the morning and at the end of the ride there is a lunch with locally brewed Sam Adams beer for the over-21 riders (and by definition for the Fifty-Plus bunch).

https://massbike.org/summercentury/

This riff about drinking is just a little chatter between the intended participants about our anticipated good times here in Boston for that weekend of July 27-28.

You are correct, Sir.

Not to imply that us peeps are going to get wasted, but there are plenty of ways to get around Boston safely--walking, subway, cabs; just don't get lost.
BTW, I note that you post from Kansas. Earlier in this thread, there was some discussion about a Fifth Annual Ride in Kansas (will not name names here):

One thing that definitely was an issue this year was the location. Either coast would mean planning early, or would exclude riders from the other coast.
One thing that came up during the discussions this year was the geographical center of the country, which by my crude reckoning (drawing a line for corner to corner), is just west of Kansas City…

OTOH, there just aren't a lot of folks in Kansas who are in the BFN 50+ - actually, there aren't a lot of folks in KS, period.
Thanks for keeping the thread bumped up.
Old 07-15-13, 02:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI, I recently posted this discussion of how the Annual Fifty-Plus Rides are organized:

The Ride proposed for Metropolitan Boston this year is one organized by Mass Bike, a cycling advocacy agency, entitled ”Summer Century and Family Fun Fest 2013.” While a fun group, they do promote responsible cycling behavior. The one-day rides from 32 to 100 miles start in the morning and at the end of the ride there is a lunch with locally brewed Sam Adams beer for the over-21 riders (and by definition for the Fifty-Plus bunch).

https://massbike.org/summercentury/

This riff about drinking is just a little chatter between the intended participants about our anticipated good times here in Boston for that weekend of July 27-28.

BTW, I note that you post from Kansas. Earlier in this thread, there was some discussion about a Fifth Annual Ride in Kansas (will not name names here):

Thanks for keeping the thread bumped up.

I am not in a great place to organize ride; no clubs, small town and depending on the road repair schedule the roads are oiled and graveled (hear me being a bit upset in that one of my major routes is currently oiled et al. Closet club is Pittsburg and they are primarily trail riders or racers (nothing against either but . . .) although they/the LBS do put on a ride each year GORILLA CENTURY I think the same day this year as the 50+ride this year. I will put it on the forum for next year if you like. I assume it is around the last of August each year. The rides are 38 mile ride, 62 mile ride and of course 100 mile ride. There is also a local festival.

The next closest is Kansas City or Wichita both have clubs OK many clubs.
Old 07-15-13, 06:21 PM

I am not in a great place to organize ride; no clubs, small town and depending on the road repair schedule the roads are oiled and graveled (hear me being a bit upset in that one of my major routes is currently oiled et al. Closet club is Pittsburg and they are primarily trail riders or racers (nothing against either but . . .) although they/the LBS do put on a ride each year GORILLA CENTURY I think the same day this year as the 50+ride this year. I will put it on the forum for next year if you like. I assume it is around the last of August each year. The rides are 38 mile ride, 62 mile ride and of course 100 mile ride. There is also a local festival.

The next closest is Kansas City or Wichita both have clubs OK many clubs.
Thanks for your reply. Sometimes the discussion about the next Annual Ride begins soon after the preceding one. This thread began July 9, 2012. I have recently posted this about the process:

…For those interested, there is a sticky on the Fifty-Plus Forum, A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides, and in one post, I listed the threads that chronicled the Rides II to IV beginning with the personal narratives and photos:

Here are links to posts that begin the personal narratives and photos for these Annual Fifty Plus Rides:
Second Annual Ride:

Third Annual Ride:

Fourth Annual Ride:
Recently, I perused the various threads about those Rides to reminisce. There was a definite pattern to the threads for those previous Rides: initial discussion in the winter about where to go, followed by a flurry of enthusiasm; spring doldrums; eventually the posts immediately preceding the ride as the participants departed for the destination; and the memorable tales afterwards about the event.

I look forward to adding the stories about the Fifth Annual Ride.
FYA about Kansas, back in 1977 my wife and I crossed the length of Kansas on a cross-country bike tour from Los Angeles to Washington DC. Three memorable instances on that trip across Kansas immediately come to mind. In Garden City, we met a cyclist who had previously crossed the country in 1976 as part of Bikecentennial. He put us up at his home above a local jewelry store. He also showed us the town swimming pool, and I just now confirmed that everything he told us was true:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Garden City's "The Big Pool" is larger than a 100-yard football field, holds 2.2 million gallons of water, and is large enough to accommodate water-skiing… Advertised for years as "The World's Largest, Free, Outdoor, Municipal, Concrete Swimming Pool", the pool has been known to count up to 2,000 patrons when open during the summer months.
Two other memories are of visiting a Swedish festival in Lindsborg, and camping by Lake Pomona, the largest body of water we had seen since leaving the Pacific Coast. Such are the enduring joys of bicycle touring.
Old 07-15-13, 06:59 PM

I have heard rumors about certain cross state rides being one long drinking feast;
Yep we are just talking about the after party at a one day ride. I know what you are talking about. I avoid the supported multi-day rides like Ragbrai and the Dalmac just because there are a huge number of inexperienced cyclists enjoying a rolling kegger.

Marc
Old 07-16-13, 02:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep we are just talking about the after party at a one day ride. I know what you are talking about. I avoid the supported multi-day rides like Ragbrai and the Dalmac just because there are a huge number of inexperienced cyclists enjoying a rolling kegger.

Marc
Marc

I said I was not naming names! One of the two you mentioned was the ride I had heard about; funny you used the term "Rolling Kegger" that was the exact term the person who told me about the ride used!
Old 07-16-13, 02:47 PM

Marc

I said I was not naming names! !
Ok, OOPs! I'm not nice, I'll admit it.

Marc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.